Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Watched this at lunch time, some fight. Had Inoue pretty comfy but Donaire was a game opponent!
As much as a nightmare the WBSS has been, it’s produced big time. Hopefully, if they do more, it’ll be easier as everyone will want in on it. All hail King Kalle!

Loma the P4P number 1 in my opinion.
I agree. Its such a subjective thing as different people put stock in different thing then you have to judge the quality of resume/wins etc but for me, p4p is about analysing skills aside from weight classes. Since Canelo has spent most of his career manipulating weight classes to his advantage, I take points off him.

I think on a skills basis, Loma and Usyk probably beat Canelo, but I put Usyk slightly below Canelo in terms of their ledger so far. Plus he is now a heavyweight and we need to see how he goes there.

All of that said, Canelo is a close 2 probably regardless how much I hate him.

I will need to go look at the new ranking actually. Theres normally someyhing in there that riles me up.

Just watched the Innoue/Donaire fight, fantastic stuff. I think the KD stretched the scoreline somewhat, but I had Innoue 1 in front before that.

Did anyone else think the count was long though? I had him standing up at about 11.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

I agree. Its such a subjective thing as different people put stock in different thing then you have to judge the quality of resume/wins etc but for me, p4p is about analysing skills aside from weight classes. Since Canelo has spent most of his career manipulating weight classes to his advantage, I take points off him.

I think on a skills basis, Loma and Usyk probably beat Canelo, but I put Usyk slightly below Canelo in terms of their ledger so far. Plus he is now a heavyweight and we need to see how he goes there.

I will need to go look at the new ranking actually. Theres normally someyhing in there that riles me up.

Top three could quite easily be:

1.Loma

2.Canelo

3.Crawford

I'd have Usyk in 4th tbh, but all depends on his stint at HW

Edited by staggy1929

Just watched the Innoue/Donaire fight, fantastic stuff. I think the KD stretched the scoreline somewhat, but I had Innoue 1 in front before that.
Did anyone else think the count was long though? I had him standing up at about 11.

Count was long / Donaire got up very late, this after the ref blocked Inoue as he was going on to end the fight. Didn’t detract from a great fight though.

That was the more noticeable thing. Why did the ref get in the way of Inoue when Donaire hadn't taken a knee?

I wanted Donaire to see the last bell as much as the next man but that seemed bizarre if you are getting in the road of Inoue like that then surely you should be waving the fight off as you are essentially stopping Donaire being knocked out.

Edited by Neilly

That was the more noticeable thing. Why did the ref get in the way of Inoue when Donaire hadn't taken a knee?
I wanted Donaire to see the last bell as much as the next man but that seemed bizarre if you are getting in the road of Inoue like that then surely you should be waving the fight off as you are essentially stopping Donaire being knocked out.

Way I seen it, the ref has stepped in because Donaire wasn’t able to defend himself, so was expecting it to be waved off. Then he counts and it doesn’t look like Donaire is getting up or was up in time. But because it was a smashing fight, no controversy in the end result it won’t be a major talking point.

Totally agree.

As much as Canelo is a great fighter I honestly find it hard to like him given the various tactics that he adopts as you have mentioned and for the names on his record are very good but for me a lot of them past their best.

Right now for me it's Loma, Usyk, Canelo, Crawford and Unoue.

Loma is just amazing to watch and his big pal Usyk is just a mad crazy b*****d and I love every thing about him

On 07/11/2019 at 14:12, Neilly said:

Also had it by 5 to Inoue but what an effort from Donaire.

I can't see the WBSS continuing after this season and it will be a real shame it's produced some of the best fights over the last few years.

On 07/11/2019 at 14:52, J_Stewart said:

Wild to think that this morning Taylor v Prograis may well have been fight of the year, and by this afternoon it may not even be the best WBSS final in the last month.

King Kalle has done it again
IMG_0931.jpg

Yet when you think of the Original 'Super 6', the first CW, SM, SL & SB, they've been nothing short of outstanding tournaments.

All power to Kalle to bring the various champions of other weight divisions to the table & continue with top class bouts.

Finally watched Inoue v Donaire right through yestersday.

Nothing to add really to whats been posted already re the fight, just that Nonito Donaire showed why protecting your precious 0 can still work out bad for your legacy, and why you can still be first ballot and take a few. What a warrior.