Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

For me, Yarde maybe won the 3rd, obviously won the 8th but other than that all Kovalev. The 9th round was the most disappointing. Yarde had him hanging on 8th, came out 9th and walked after him beating his chest. Granted he was tired but cut off the ring and work the body, don’t just plod after him not throwing. A gallant effort from the inexperienced man, hopefully can learn from it and get back to challenging for world titles soon enough.

7 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

I know boxing is subjective, but scoring any of the first six rounds for Yarde is mental, IMO.

Round 7 and 8 were the only rounds you could give Yarde. The first round and a spell in the 3rd he done ok, in patches, but over the three minutes he lost those rounds. Kovalev is a classy fighter and Yarde can definitely come back from this, if anything I would say this defeat could be good for his career as it may force him into taking bigger fights, and he’s proved to the division he can mix it with a big name. Would love to see him in with Buatsi and winning, Buatsi has the feel of another Matchroom hype job for me. Could be proved wrong on that but Buatsi hasn’t been in the ring with any decent standard of fighter in his pro career as yet. 

Round 7 and 8 were the only rounds you could give Yarde. The first round and a spell in the 3rd he done ok, in patches, but over the three minutes he lost those rounds. Kovalev is a classy fighter and Yarde can definitely come back from this, if anything I would say this defeat could be good for his career as it may force him into taking bigger fights, and he’s proved to the division he can mix it with a big name. Would love to see him in with Buatsi and winning, Buatsi has the feel of another Matchroom hype job for me. Could be proved wrong on that but Buatsi hasn’t been in the ring with any decent standard of fighter in his pro career as yet. 
Agree with all of this. Kovalev hosed the first six. Yarde just needs small adjustments, but he wont be able to deal with top level fire if he doesnt spar in training. Its utterly bonkers that we are discussing the non-sparring of a guy who just did that to Kovalev..... Its nuts

12 hours ago, JamieStevenson said:

KO'd by jab. Exhaustion really. Great fight. Up until the KO I had it:

1. 10-9 Y
2. 10-9 K
3. 10-9 Y
4. 10-9 K
5. 10-9 K
6. 10-9 K
7. 10-9 Y
8. 10-9 Y
9. 10-9 K
10. 10-9 K

Wow that's an interesting card, don't think you understand the scoring or sport.

On another note, absolutely shocking yardes team send him out for the 10th, 11th. He was dead on his feet and ended up getting taken out with a week jab.

A beat down like that could potentially ruin the rest of his career. 

Which is a shame, because he did show he wasn't that far away. Will this have been his peak tho, possibly now after that.

Just watched it there, great performance from Kovalev and as said he won the fight with his jab. Anyone suggesting the first half of the fight was anything other than a shutout should re-watch the fight.

Also for the record, Andre Ward is the best boxer of the last 15 years. You’d be lucky to find 20 rounds the guy lost in his career.

Watching the sky card from last night. Jono Carroll trying to box a bit more than usual. Not a thrilling watch by any stretch, but did avoid getting dragged in to a dog fight and won easy.
Darleys Perez v Shakhram Giyasov. Only Giyasov’s 9th fight but decent amateur pedigree. Monster left hook nicely set up sits Perez down in the first and he doesn’t get up. First time I’ve seen him since turning over, will try and keep tabs on how he goes.
Beefy Smith v Lozano, decent enough scrap. Good body shot by Smith in the 6th, didn’t think Lozano would see much after that...stopped him in the 7th.
Will catch the Estrada fight later.

6 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Wow that's an interesting card, don't think you understand the scoring or sport.

On another note, absolutely shocking yardes team send him out for the 10th, 11th. He was dead on his feet and ended up getting taken out with a week jab.

A beat down like that could potentially ruin the rest of his career. 

Which is a shame, because he did show he wasn't that far away. Will this have been his peak tho, possibly now after that.

2 of the judges had similar scoring so I can't be far off. Russian judges I must add too. Definitely not as big a shutout as people are suggesting.

Both looked decent enough anyway. Do we think Kovalev will be ready for the quick turnaround against Canelo in November?

3 hours ago, JamieStevenson said:

2 of the judges had similar scoring so I can't be far off. Russian judges I must add too. Definitely not as big a shutout as people are suggesting.

Both looked decent enough anyway. Do we think Kovalev will be ready for the quick turnaround against Canelo in November?

I was watching the fight with Adalaide Byrd and Stevie Wonder. And they both had similar cards to you also.

There were rounds in the first six where Yarde did less badly than others, but none where he did better than Kovalev. This is no criticism of Jamie here btw because its hard to remember to isolate rounds when scoring fights. I think often people go "he did a lot better in that round i'll give him that one". Performance relative to other rounds is irrelevant but it's not an easy mindset IMO. Scoring boxing is very difficult.

4 hours ago, JamieStevenson said:

Regards your final question, rumours swirling that its a done deal. 

Personally I think Canelo will bust him up. If like J_Stewart said earlier, you had any doubts about what Kovalev doesn't do well against because it was Andre Ward that did it to him, you surely seen enough lastnight. Canelo has the head movement to get inside, and his short range hooks are vicious. He won't fall into the trap of blowing himself out, it will be a pretty methodical breaking down of Kovalev from the first bell. Canelo has a good engine, bags of experience and trainers that aren't complete fucknuggets.

Specially once the Canelo clauses get applied sucking any last remnants of life out of Sergey. 

11 hours ago, JamieStevenson said:

These days that fight is probably a main event in its own right so fair play if they're taking a back seat to the final. 

Obviously that event will be on Box Office as well.

Haven't seen it 'officially' confirmed anywhere yet, but from the twitter boxing journalists (Coppinger, Benson, etc) it seems like it'll be 26th October in the 02 in London, Taylor v Prograis will main event, Chisora v Parker will be chief support and it'll be on Sky PPV and DAZN, with the card basically co-promoted between WBSS and Matchroom.

Been to both Taylor's fights in the Hydro in the WBSS so far, would very much like to go to the final also.

Say what you want about Eddie / Matchroom / Sky, but their ability to promote and increase the profile of fighters is incredible. Lomachenko will be a name known to almost every sports fan in the UK now after this week with the amount of exposure they've given him, which for a talent like his is absolutely correct. However, prior to the buildup for this fight I 100% do not think that would have been the case. They've treated him like the once-in-a-genration elite level superstar he is, and people are really taking notice it seems.

Really looking forward to the fight on Saturday, and not just to see the best in the world do his thing. Genuinely think that it'll be competitive for at least the first half of the fight, and think that Campbell's physical advantages and ability to box at distance could be relatively frustrating for Loma early on, although I think he'll find a way inside the reach with his feints and footwork by the 5th / 6th round and progressively break Campbell down from there.

Gutted I'm not going down this weekend. Having seen the great man live once at MSG, it's 100% something I want to do again, but too much on at the minute sadly. With the reception he's received and the noises he's making, I wouldn't be surprised if he fights here again though.

Sounds like Campbell has been doing some gruelling sparring and is as ready as he's ever going to be. Sparring two or three guys at once could sound a bit gimmicky but someone with Loma's movement is going to give Campbell no easy way out. Replicating the sense that whatever way he turns Loma will be there waiting sounds like good training for Campbell. 

7 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Say what you want about Eddie / Matchroom / Sky, but their ability to promote and increase the profile of fighters is incredible.

Hearn/Matchroom aren't alone in this but it's the reason a lot of people, including myself, have found the sport a bit shit the past couple of years.