Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Yarde made that a good scrap in the end. He just took too many punches, that knockout was a result of accumulation. 

He was losing badly on the cards anyway.

45 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

Missed this first time out, but not sure I agree with it. Andre Ward implemented this to perfection, but Andre Ward was the best fighter of his generation IMO, and I’m not convinced anyone else could have broken Kov’s heart and body like he did. Not sure it’s a fair statement to suggest it’s a tried and tested method of beating big Kov.

I think that fight there just showed you the sides of Kovalev I am talking about.  Yarde stays at distance, gets himself 6 down on the cards. Gets his hands up, walks in close enough and rips it to the body, walks Kovalev back and nearly wins it. Gasses himself out and the fight is Kovalevs again and he picks Yarde off. 

I like Kovalev but thats clearly the way to get to him. He just doesnt like it rough.

I would only have given Yarde 7&8. Blew his chance at the end of the 8th, by throwing everything at getting the stoppage & failing.
I thought Kovalev was showing signs of gassing from the 5th on, but throwing everything into it in the 8th let the Russian off the hook.
So near, but yet so far.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I think that fight there just showed you the sides of Kovalev I am talking about.  Yarde stays at distance, gets himself 6 down on the cards. Gets his hands up, walks in close enough and rips it to the body, walks Kovalev back and nearly wins it. Gasses himself out and the fight is Kovalevs again and he picks Yarde off. 

I like Kovalev but thats clearly the way to get to him. He just doesnt like it rough.

There's a great interview with Ward after the second fight where he said he planned to throw a power shot in the first 10-15 seconds of every round and grab the initiative for to then grind him on the inside as you say. Like J_Stewart says though, that was Ward, probably the best boxer of the last 10-15 years IMHO.

Fair play to Yarde, he gave it a good go and wasn't far away in the 8th but looked to punch himself out. Would like to see him rebuild with a fringe world level contender as he hasn't had that test between domestic and world level. You'd fancy Canelo to have his way with Kovalev after watching that though. 

Cracking fight. Yarde showed there’s definitely talent there, and a hell of a chin, just needs a bit of refinement before moving up to challenge for a world title again, no doubt in my mind he’ll win one after that showing, and definite scope for him to move up to cruiser eventually as well. He’ll have learned more tonight than in his last 18 fights combined.

Round 8 aside though, Kovalev was excellent. No secret that he has one of the best jabs in boxing, and was landing it whenever he wanted for the majority. His footwork and shot selection were very good also. Certainly not finished yet, and if the Canelo fight doesn’t materialise I’d love to see a unification with Bivol (winner fights winner of Beterbiev v Gvodzyk) to unify the division, unlikely though that all is.

I know boxing is subjective, but scoring any of the first six rounds for Yarde is mental, IMO.

There's a great interview with Ward after the second fight where he said he planned to throw a power shot in the first 10-15 seconds of every round and grab the initiative for to then grind him on the inside as you say. Like J_Stewart says though, that was Ward, probably the best boxer of the last 10-15 years IMHO.
Fair play to Yarde, he gave it a good go and wasn't far away in the 8th but looked to punch himself out. Would like to see him rebuild with a fringe world level contender as he hasn't had that test between domestic and world level. You'd fancy Canelo to have his way with Kovalev after watching that though. 
Oh aye I mean we are talking top level guys here of which Kov is one. Theres always ways to win. Doesnt mean anyone can turn up and pound him out. But Kovalev is sufficiently good at range that theres very few if any at the weight who will beat him at his own game. You have to find the weak point. For me with Kovalev its the rough stuff. He doesnt do all that well going backwards and he isnt as mentally strong as he is physically.

Cracking fight. Yarde showed there’s definitely talent there, and a hell of a chin, just needs a bit of refinement before moving up to challenge for a world title again, no doubt in my mind he’ll win one after that showing, and definite scope for him to move up to cruiser eventually as well. He’ll have learned more tonight than in his last 18 fights combined.

Round 8 aside though, Kovalev was excellent. No secret that he has one of the best jabs in boxing, and was landing it whenever he wanted for the majority. His footwork and shot selection were very good also. Certainly not finished yet, and if the Canelo fight doesn’t materialise I’d love to see a unification with Bivol (winner fights winner of Beterbiev v Gvodzyk) to unify the division, unlikely though that all is.

I know boxing is subjective, but scoring any of the first six rounds for Yarde is mental, IMO.
That idiot Jones was talking about rnd 8 being 10-8 Yarde! As good a round as it was, Kovalev never left his feet; astonishing as it was, when you saw what he took. McGirt even told his fighter as much, by saying he'd pull him out if he took another shot of that calibre.

Hindsight's a great thing, but if Yarde hadn't blown himself out, having not dropped Kovalev, & applied more pressure in the following round instead.....but then again, if my auntie had baws, she'd be my uncle.

At least Yarde found out he should be mixing it at world level, with fights against those ranked around him.

Hindsight's a great thing, but if Yarde hadn't blown himself out, having not dropped Kovalev, & applied more pressure in the following round instead.....but then again, if my auntie had baws, she'd be my uncle.
At least Yarde found out he should be mixing it at world level, with fights against those ranked around him.

Its fair comment though. He was ripping that left to the body and it was obviously paying off. Just a wee bit more patience and hed have got his man IMO.

Its fair comment though. He was ripping that left to the body and it was obviously paying off. Just a wee bit more patience and hed have got his man IMO.
It was off the back of those body shots he had the success up top. Fine lines, between success & failure. Patience, is something Yarde will have learned. When you hit a guy with your best punch & he doesn't go down.