Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

2 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Rumours that Frampton is out of his fight this weekend as an ornament fell on his hand while he was having a coffee and it’s broken two bones. Utterly bizarre if true.

It’s easy done. 

I was having a look through twitter there and some of the posts Josh Taylor has been sticking on have been quite unsavoury, in replies to a couple of people. I’ve been to his last 3 fights and think he’s an outstanding boxer but his Twitter is putting me off him, especially the ‘mongo’ patter, that he was called up for, refused to apologise then said it again. Hopefully someone in his team has a word. 

Thats without saying he thinks the earth is flat and the moon landings were fake 😳

It’s easy done. 
I was having a look through twitter there and some of the posts Josh Taylor has been sticking on have been quite unsavoury, in replies to a couple of people. I’ve been to his last 3 fights and think he’s an outstanding boxer but his Twitter is putting me off him, especially the ‘mongo’ patter, that he was called up for, refused to apologise then said it again. Hopefully someone in his team has a word. 
Thats without saying he thinks the earth is flat and the moon landings were fake [emoji15]

Have thought the same about some of his twitter replies as well. Like you have been to his fight and he is some boxer but some of the stuff is really distasteful. He is clearly not the sharpest tool in the box probably, in fairness like a lot of boxers but he is a world champion now and should be looking to build on his fan base but stuff like that will put people off him. He could do a lot worse than taking a lead out his mate Frampton’s book, he doesn’t hold back on Twitter either at times but he knows where the line is and doesn’t cross it the way Taylor does and has built a phenomenal fan base over the years.

Have thought the same about some of his twitter replies as well. Like you have been to his fight and he is some boxer but some of the stuff is really distasteful. He is clearly not the sharpest tool in the box probably, in fairness like a lot of boxers but he is a world champion now and should be looking to build on his fan base but stuff like that will put people off him. He could do a lot worse than taking a lead out his mate Frampton’s book, he doesn’t hold back on Twitter either at times but he knows where the line is and doesn’t cross it the way Taylor does and has built a phenomenal fan base over the years.
Aye, he has made the step up in the ring and its admirable that he still just wants to be a regular guy but he needs to make the step up outside the ring too. At this level now, its what happens outside the ring that determines your career path and how much coin you make. He cant afford to be small time. He is going to need a team and within that will be someone who educates him on acceptable language and use of social media.

Josh Taylor comes across fine most of the time. As Bairnardo says, he's getting close to that crossroads where if he wins v Prograis he could become massive (in which case he needs to address this stuff). Taylor has loads of positive stuff going for him but if he is to become a bigger name it would be good to see him openly address some of this stuff and cut it out. 

Can't be too far off from a venue being announced for the Prograis fight. Manchester could be a good compromise. Kalle needs a venue they know will sell out, Prograis doesn't want Glasgow and it would be a bit unfair giving Taylor home advantage in every fight. If Sky are showing it again they'll want it on at a UK time slot (Prograis suggested New York).

I still can't see beyond a Taylor win. Prograis is a huge talent and like Taylor can vary his style. Would put him ahead of Taylor in ability terms but it's Josh's size and toughness that edges it for me. Prograis is nasty too but no matter how hard he tries to keep the cool exterior I think Taylor scares him. 

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

Can't be too far off from a venue being announced for the Prograis fight. Manchester could be a good compromise. Kalle needs a venue they know will sell out, Prograis doesn't want Glasgow and it would be a bit unfair giving Taylor home advantage in every fight. If Sky are showing it again they'll want it on at a UK time slot (Prograis suggested New York). 

Monaco, in front of 2 men & a dug? It is the WBSS after all.

Only a rumour until it's officially announced obviously, but Manchester on the 5th of October has been talked about a lot recently for Taylor v Prograis. Would definitely be going down if it is.

Heard Manchester or London on 5th.

Notice Alice Cooper is on in Manchester on 4th. Can they turn it around that quickly to have boxing the following evening?

On 06/08/2019 at 14:46, Shandon Par said:

Josh Taylor comes across fine most of the time. As Bairnardo says, he's getting close to that crossroads where if he wins v Prograis he could become massive (in which case he needs to address this stuff). Taylor has loads of positive stuff going for him but if he is to become a bigger name it would be good to see him openly address some of this stuff and cut it out. 

Agreed. I don’t think he’s a bad guy in any way at all, but in this age of Twitter where one slip of the keyboard can result in people getting absolutely hounded (rightly or wrongly) for their comments, he’s better to keep those views to himself. It genuinely could be the difference between him becoming a top PPV fighter, or someone who’s still an excellent fighter but no one wants to go and see or pay for.

Ive been actually very surprised at the attendances of his last few fights, I thought the WBSS semi would have been a sell out at the Hydro. At the Postol fight we had tickets for the top tier and when we got to the door were informed we had been moved seat as the full top tier was closed off. 

Boxing going the same way as football now in staging big events in corrupt oil rich countries with little knowledge or history of the sport, where genuine fans are priced out of travelling to but the decision makers get the modern day equivalent of a small fortune as a backhanded.

Expect SKY and Eddie Hearn to trot out the usual pish about taking the sports to new audiences and parts of the world etc hoping the fools will swallow it and pay £25 to watch it 

20 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Boxing going the same way as football now in staging big events in corrupt oil rich countries with little knowledge or history of the sport, where genuine fans are priced out of travelling to but the decision makers get the modern day equivalent of a small fortune as a backhanded.

Expect SKY and Eddie Hearn to trot out the usual pish about taking the sports to new audiences and parts of the world etc hoping the fools will swallow it and pay £25 to watch it 

Why do you think Ali fought Foreman in Zaire? Maybe do some reading into who put up the cash for that.