Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Ricky Burns looks set to face Lee Selby in Glasgow on 7th September after Linares fight fell through.

Hopefully an interesting enough domestic clash to get Ricky a decent pay day but not too much interest in the fight and not sure Ricky has enough left in the tank to win...but hopefully.

11 hours ago, NJ2 said:

Hopefully an interesting enough domestic clash to get Ricky a decent pay day but not too much interest in the fight and not sure Ricky has enough left in the tank to win...but hopefully.

Lee Selby is hugely overrated imo.   Could be a lot closer than folk may think.

Lee Selby is very skilled technically, and was clearly drained in his last couple of fights at featherweight, but coming up two weight divisions to fight a former world champion is a big ask, and I'm not convinced Ricky is as shot as everyone thinks. Could be a really good fight, IMO. Quite looking forward to it.

Lee Selby is hugely overrated imo.   Could be a lot closer than folk may think.

Selby is skilful and flashy without a great deal else. I just don’t know if Burns has it in him to stay on him consistently to outwork. Hopefully there’s a notable size difference which helps Burns.

49 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Apparently Whyte passed the VADA tests pre and post fight.

I once read a article about the differences in anti doping regimes and I’m still none the wiser about it all.

This has been released as though it is breaking news but I was under the impression that was already clarified and obviously the failed test is with UKAD.

The whole thing needs clarified very shortly as it's getting beyond a joke. UKAD have found an anomaly in a test and then he has been cleared to fight by an independent panel (NADP)  so the fight went ahead. Surely they could not allow him to enter a ring if there was any notion whatsoever he was doping?

I assume VADA and UKAD will have differing results if they have randomly tested at different times aye? Basically which may have happened here.

It’s probably completely irrelevant but you know Dillian’s brother who’s in his corner all the time, Dean Whyte? Well, that’s not his brother. That’s Lemar Scott. There’s a very recent video where Dillian says “Dean has been like a brother to me” which sparked off a bit of wtf moment, then an interview with Dean/Lemar from IFL surfaced where Lemar Scott gave his views. Prob not related, but affa weird.

2 hours ago, kiddy said:

& if UKAD had found nothing, nobody would be talking about it.
He's been caught out by one if the drug testing agencies & is a drug cheat.
Hasn't he been caught out before as well?

We don't actually know what has been found as UKAD have not released any statement hence I am saying we need clarity from them.

To this point we do not know enough of what has went on to pass judgement. All this news broke from the boxing scene website and not through any official channel.

9 hours ago, NJ2 said:

It’s probably completely irrelevant but you know Dillian’s brother who’s in his corner all the time, Dean Whyte? Well, that’s not his brother. That’s Lemar Scott. There’s a very recent video where Dillian says “Dean has been like a brother to me” which sparked off a bit of wtf moment, then an interview with Dean/Lemar from IFL surfaced where Lemar Scott gave his views. Prob not related, but affa weird.

That is weird. Are promoters now having their own "Bronze Bomber" style alter egos? 

That is weird. Are promoters now having their own "Bronze Bomber" style alter egos? 

I’ve no idea. The guy is apparently about 40 as well. Just taking the hanger-on role extremely seriously?

Tyson Fury is at it with these fights.

To be fair, as soon as they signed the ESPN deal they openly said they were going to have two tune ups to raise his profile in the states, and then the Wilder rematch. That’s exactly what’s happening. No one should be surprised by this.

To be fair, as soon as they signed the ESPN deal they openly said they were going to have two tune ups to raise his profile in the states, and then the Wilder rematch. That’s exactly what’s happening. No one should be surprised by this.
Yeah they are doing what they said albeit this swedish guy is even a step back from Schwarz. The "at it" bit is him calling every contender a bum and then arranging fights with genuine bums. He words dont match his actions so hes at it. And I'm saying this while hes my favourite heavyweight and I think hes probably top of the tree.

BT sport looking to charge 20 quid for that at 4am is thoroughly taking the piss.