Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

You certainly don't need big huge legs for boxing.
Wee pencil legs on a muscular top half is up there with wee pencil neck in terms of leaging indicators of a brutal KO waiting to happen.

Power is generated from the big muscles including legs. No excuse for it.

Joyce doesn’t seem to have much in the way of hand speed or power. He throws lots of punches and it does overwhelm his opposition to this stage, including Jennings tonight, but once he steps up in level the technically better, harder punching heavyweights are going to time him and hurt him. Still early in his pro-career, but there’s still a lot to work on as he’s there to be hit.
I like watching Joyce, he always walks forward. Happy to take a few punches if he gives a few of his own back. I agree that will only take you so far, but it has taken him this far. I'd like to see how he does against someone like Dylian Whyte.

I thought Jennings was actually a very good technical test for him to get a decent match up but not big or strong enough to hurt him. He therefore came through it with volume but at 33 needs to go for it soon.

Dubois was very impressive against someone I thought would take him further. He disposed of a decent test early and with great competence.

Some good fights ahead i think. Onwards to Price vs Allen...

Is it just me or does Dubois have really skinny legs ?
You certainly don't need big huge legs for boxing.
There's no excuse for skipping leg day.
Wee pencil legs on a muscular top half is up there with wee pencil neck in terms of leaging indicators of a brutal KO waiting to happen.

Power is generated from the big muscles including legs. No excuse for it.
Never really gave Tommy Hearns any problems.

I'm just surprised that all the heavyweights don't have legs like Russian weightlifters as they're not restricted by weight limits.

Sports science probably hasn't caught on in boxing yet, it's a good job AJ has big legs or Manny would be taking him out.

Edited by ayrmad

Really impressed with Dubois. At first I thought he was looking AJ-style vulnerable on his left and Gorman looked to be trying to capitalise on that. But he could do f**k all. Just didn’t have the speed
or power and it was like Dubois was setting traps for him.

Noticed the skinny legs too but if you box loads and are on your toes all the time then then they’ll be that shape. Power doesn’t mean much if it’s not allied to speed and accuracy.

Edited by Shandon Par

11 hours ago, pittsburgh phil said:

Deontay Wilder has skinny legs and is hardly short of punching power.

I saw a video a wee while back with Alex Arthur talking about the importance of bulking up the legs. He looks more like a bodybuilder than a boxer these days though. I'd say my top five most unpleasant punches to the face have been from folk with skinny legs (or at least skinny in relation to the upper body) - the Wilder-type build of being tall, slim but broad shouldered (ie ideal to generate speed and power). I understand bulking up the legs can generate more power but that's also more bulk for the person to drag around the ring, more oxygen needed to work those muscles. Wilder's and Ruiz's recent knockouts show there's no real right or wrong - just whatever works for the individual. 

I saw a video a wee while back with Alex Arthur talking about the importance of bulking up the legs. He looks more like a bodybuilder than a boxer these days though. I'd say my top five most unpleasant punches to the face have been from folk with skinny legs (or at least skinny in relation to the upper body) - the Wilder-type build of being tall, slim but broad shouldered (ie ideal to generate speed and power). I understand bulking up the legs can generate more power but that's also more bulk for the person to drag around the ring, more oxygen needed to work those muscles. Wilder's and Ruiz's recent knockouts show there's no real right or wrong - just whatever works for the individual. 
Pretty simple... speed + strength = power.

1 hour ago, quickoverayard said:
3 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Pretty simple... speed + strength = power.

Timing?