Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

I see Willie Limond is back in training again :unsure2:

Strangely enough was just about to post this.  Wants to fight Ricky Burns before he retires and also wants a pop at Conor Benn.  

I see Willie Limond is back in training again :unsure2:
Strangely enough was just about to post this.  Wants to fight Ricky Burns before he retires and also wants a pop at Conor Benn.  
Rematch with Kahn?

Despite all the aftermatch rumours, the Joshua v Luiz fight, particularly round 3, will surely go down as one of the best in recent times in terms of entertainment. Got me thinking as to what are some of the best fights or just great rounds of boxing I’ve watched. Probably, in no particular order, Hagler v Hearns, Hamed v Kelley and maybe Barrera v Morales.

14 minutes ago, caleyjaggi said:

Despite all the aftermatch rumours, the Joshua v Luiz fight, particularly round 3, will surely go down as one of the best in recent times in terms of entertainment. Got me thinking as to what are some of the best fights or just great rounds of boxing I’ve watched. Probably, in no particular order, Hagler v Hearns, Hamed v Kelley and maybe Barrera v Morales.

Gatti v Ward Round 9 > Everything else.

AJ has ruled has released a statement saying he didn't have a panic attack or food poisoning. He didn't mention being knocked out in training though so that seems to be true.
The rematch should be a stormer. Hopefully in the Principality Stadium.

Be lucky to sell out a leisure centre now [emoji23]

4 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

Be lucky to sell out a leisure centre now emoji23.png

I actually think this might make him more popular.

This gives him a bit of a narrative and is far more interesting than routine wins over Takam and Parker. Think Murray greeting at Wimbledon.

There's no shame in losing a fight.  Plenty of better fighters than Joshua have lost a fight and come back - quite a few have had worse losses than him and come back.  Wlad had three absolutely appalling losses when you look at it - gassed to a journeyman in Purrity, blasted out by a limited fighter in Sanders and got surprised by another relatively limited guy in Brewster.  I recall boxing forums then basically writing him off as a chinny, useless stiff. 

To use an American term it's the ceiling of a fighter.  Wlad had obvious flaws that lead to his losses but he also had a ceiling and was willing to work, change and develop to reach that.  He upgraded his trainer and showed improvement.  Will AJ do that?  Does he need to?  Can he do so?  When Lennox Lewis lost his fights you could easily see why he lost both - he lost concentration and was caught by a home run punch from a limited opponent (McCall and Rahman).  The first time he took stock, changed his trainer and develpoed his style (getting the same trainer in as Wlad did of course!).  Second time he just knew he had to tighten up.  AJ didn't lose to a lucky punch - he was struggling right up until he knocked Ruiz down and was countered easily straight after, then dominated.  Even if he were to come back and blast out Ruiz in a round, there would be questions remaining about him.

Hype doesn't disappear in one fight. Never has. Just look at the idiots making excuses. Fanboys will be fanboys. So he'll still sell tens of thousands of tickets and fill stadiums.
There has only ever been one heavyweight who retired as World Champion, undefeated.

57 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

On that note, Eubank v Watson 2.  Round 11.  

I have to admit I was a Eubank fan, had a chin of granite but didn't really get credit for it due to everything else that came with him, he must have been a nightmare to train.

1 hour ago, ayrmad said:

I have to admit I was a Eubank fan, had a chin of granite but didn't really get credit for it due to everything else that came with him, he must have been a nightmare to train.

Yep.  My favourite British fighter of all time.   Probably why I've been desperate for Junior to emulate his Father's success but he's not in the same class.

Yep.  My favourite British fighter of all time.   Probably why I've been desperate for Junior to emulate his Father's success but he's not in the same class.
He's the tom ince of boxing.... nowhere near the level of his dad!!! The chunky win can't be credited to him as he beat a fighter well past his best.

3 hours ago, LargsTON said:

Can't be easy trying to emulate his dad when his dad isn't going to tell him all the mistakes he made in his career, they must be Ayr fans as both certainly do what they want.