Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

I wrote a big post earlier about Joshua but to me I genuinely believe he blew it when he steamed in looking for the stoppage. Not the first time he has been tagged and rocked when looking to wade in. He is there to be hit. I don’t believe there is any excuses it was a repeat of the Whyte fight only Ruiz had the hand speed and skill to tag Joshua and stay on top. Joshua was gone after the first knockdown in the 3rd. Just my opinion but it is as simple as that to me. No conspiracy, no pre illness and no excuses. Just a man with a weaker punch resistance which is a major issue at any weight never mind heavyweight  

I am a Joshua fan as I’ve said before. 

26 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

I wrote a big post earlier about Joshua but to me I genuinely believe he blew it when he steamed in looking for the stoppage. Not the first time he has been tagged and rocked when looking to wade in. He is there to be hit. I don’t believe there is any excuses it was a repeat of the Whyte fight only Ruiz had the hand speed and skill to tag Joshua and stay on top. Joshua was gone after the first knockdown in the 3rd. Just my opinion but it is as simple as that to me. No conspiracy, no pre illness and no excuses. Just a man with a weaker punch resistance which is a major issue at any weight never mind heavyweight  

I am a Joshua fan as I’ve said before. 

So what's your view on why Joshua Snr went for Hearn?  Peter Fury tweeted that Joshua wanted to pull out the fight and Hearn said no which would explain both his unusual behaviour before the first bell and the carry on post fight.  

6 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
7 hours ago, Grant228 said:
Question to those with ring time, is it normal to not know what shot you've been hit with? He asks that a few times. 

My ring is time is very limited but yes, and the ones you dont see hurt the most. Its why pillow fisted c***s like Floyd can and do hurt people.

5 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Must be concussion talking. Yeah, if it's a big shot "clang" out of the blue and you know to do what you need to do to recover, be it hold, GTF out of range or whatever. Trainer said to him he got hit as he was loading up (so slow/telegraphed). He should maybe also be saying to him to get his hands back up to protect himself quicker and not leave the arms dangling out after the punches - really basic stuff like that can be helpful/reassuring. 

Genuinely quite interesting, cheers gents. 

Guest SJP79

They made a huge mistake underestimating  Ruiz Jr thinking it would be an explosive one sided beating within a few rounds.

Ruiz Jr had a 105 amateur fights , Joshua had 40 !  

The speed and timing of Ruiz Jr hands and his boxing skills are way above AJ.

AJ would need to be a lot better in a rematch and box with discipline and stick to a game plan, lets see what his trainers can come up with.

A rematch could go either way but on this last AJ performance you'd have to favour Ruiz Jr but in a fist fight anything can happen.

14 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

So what's your view on why Joshua Snr went for Hearn?  Peter Fury tweeted that Joshua wanted to pull out the fight and Hearn said no which would explain both his unusual behaviour before the first bell and the carry on post fight.  

Peter Fury didn't tweet that mate, fake news. It will be very interesting to hear if anything comes out but clearly something happened to cause that reaction from AJ's dad.

Knowing you're not a Joshua fan, I had to reread your posts on the last page - thought you'd have been getting torn right in

9 minutes ago, Cowshed Chris said:

Peter Fury didn't tweet that mate, fake news. It will be very interesting to hear if anything comes out but clearly something happened to cause that reaction from AJ's dad.

Knowing you're not a Joshua fan, I had to reread your posts on the last page - thought you'd have been getting torn right in

:lol:

I'd seen that defeat coming like many did but I didn't like how it transpired.  

Where was the Fury tweet confirmed as fake news?   I just took it at face value. 

28 minutes ago, SJP79 said:

AJ would need to be a lot better in a rematch and box with discipline and stick to a game plan, lets see what his trainers can come up with.

The Parker fight, although dull, showed he could box well within himself without putting himself at too much risk. He maybe needs to reel in his ambition a bit in terms of how he boxes. Forget about putting on a show, stick to a simple plan and use his reach advantage. Maybe get a few tips from Fury on how to jab. 

1 hour ago, LargsTON said:

I didn’t see anything from Peter Fury mate I have no clue about that. I saw a fake account pretending to be John Fury made tweets about it but they were proven to be bullshit. 

The thing about Joshua’s dad is a strange one as something must have triggered him. Call me daft but I do believe the quotes from Hearn saying there were no issues before the fight though. Even the stuff about who knocked Joshua out apparently in sparring. There’s been several names being banded about and Hearn has came out proving several of them weren’t even involved in the training camp. I could be talking absolute garbage and things may indeed come out in the next wee while but for now I do believe Hearn I’m afraid. 

21 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

I didn’t see anything from Peter Fury mate I have no clue about that. I saw a fake account pretending to be John Fury made tweets about it but they were proven to be bullshit. 

The thing about Joshua’s dad is a strange one as something must have triggered him. Call me daft but I do believe the quotes from Hearn saying there were no issues before the fight though. Even the stuff about who knocked Joshua out apparently in sparring. There’s been several names being banded about and Hearn has came out proving several of them weren’t even involved in the training camp. I could be talking absolute garbage and things may indeed come out in the next wee while but for now I do believe Hearn I’m afraid. 

This is the one I read.  It's all very confusing now.   Will be interesting to see what comes out in the coming days.   I'm not sure about what Hearn said.    If Joshua wasn't right before the fight and Hearn basically told him to crack on it paints him in a dreadful light so its not something I can see him admitting to.   This may well be one of these incidents where we dont get the truth for years down the line.

Screenshot_20190604-213623_Messenger.jpg

Edited by LargsTON

10 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

This is the one I read.  It's all very confusing now.   Will be interesting to see what comes out in the coming days.   I'm not sure about what Hearn said.    If Joshua wasn't right before the fight and Hearn basically told him to crack on it paints him in a dreadful light so its not something I can see him admitting to.   This may well be one of these incidents where we dont get the truth for years down the line.

Screenshot_20190604-213623_Messenger.jpg

Aye Hearn always comes across shifty as and wouldn’t normally believe his patter but my only thinking was if Joshua wasn’t right or had a panic attack the medical team would step in and say he shouldn’t be fighting. Maybe just naivety on my part. 

Theres the article on John Fury and the supposed tweets from him 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/sport/boxing/1135965/Boxing-news-Eddie-Hearn-Tyson-Fury-dad-Anthony-Joshua-Andy-Ruiz-Jr/amp

The Parker fight, although dull, showed he could box well within himself without putting himself at too much risk. He maybe needs to reel in his ambition a bit in terms of how he boxes. Forget about putting on a show, stick to a simple plan and use his reach advantage. Maybe get a few tips from Fury on how to jab. 

See this i agree with but something wasn't right with him and i said that from thw start, yes ruiz battered him but Joshua looked gone. Ive been hearing rumors about him being concussed and wanting to pull out the fight, id hate to think a promoter would risk a life of a fighter for the sake of a few more subscribers on DAZN!!!

If Ruiz blasts him out in a similar fashion to the first fight in the rematch then yes it could all be excuses but i do honestly think there was something up.

3 minutes ago, quickoverayard said:

See this i agree with but something wasn't right with him and i said that from thw start, yes ruiz battered him but Joshua looked gone. Ive been hearing rumors about him being concussed and wanting to pull out the fight, id hate to think a promoter would risk a life of a fighter for the sake of a few more subscribers on DAZN!!!

If Ruiz blasts him out in a similar fashion to the first fight in the rematch then yes it could all be excuses but i do honestly think there was something up.

Agreed.

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

Think @Shandon Par and @Dee Man are P&B's resident experts on getting punched in the face...

I can confirm that you don't always know where a punch has come from, especially when you are under the influence of alcohol, which I suspect Joshua wasn't. 

10 hours ago, diamond_for_life said:

Even the stuff about who knocked Joshua out apparently in sparring.

Is there a chance he got melted by a wee, quick, puncher in sparring and they never found a way to combat that with him, so he went into the ring with no belief he could finish things, while knowing it was just a matter of time until he was broken down?

That's what I've been assuming tbh.

Steve Bunce said on 5 Live that he thought AJ’s dad was raging about the stoppage and Hearn in an immediate post-fight interview said something along those lines too. AJ saying “it was me dad” could be just as simple as the dad raging about the stoppage and not realising how gone AJ was.

He was well enough to have Ruiz down. He tried a sloppy left against a more experienced boxer, leaving him exposed to a couple of massive right hands from Ruiz. 

AJ can learn a lot more from that than from a load of fights against robots. Maybe a lesson to him about training too. Look at it as a means to speed up the hands and breeze through 12 rounds rather than worrying about looking good in his wee white T-shirts.