Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

It looks like undefeated Kelty boxer Connor Law has passed away unfortunately. 
Taken his own life apparently. An absolute travesty - only a few days after another local lad also done the same. Quite chilling Connor had a tweet a couple of days ago thanking his closest mates for being there for him recently. Met him a number of times and really was a decent boy.

He'd recently quit his job to go full time in the ring again, saw an interview at the end of April saying as much and that he had very exciting news coming up.

Very, very sad.

2 minutes ago, kiddy said:

"A Lot of people gave it to Wilder" me being one, & I'll stand by my view of that fight. Bizarre that you still think the concept of avoiding being hit, whilst not hitting, is worthy of being awarded a round!

Did he, really! That'll be your opinion.

*Sticks out tongue/wiggles backside & goes to sleep.

And most gave it for the flurry that never landed a glove on Fury, Wilder landed 9 of 71 power punches in the 1st 6 rounds according to compubox, Fury landed 14 of 44 and made him look foolish in quite a few of those rounds, no doubt you had it about even at that point.

Cold. Food poisoning. Already concussed. Dodgy groin guard. Deprived of his regular TUE juice. 

He had Ruiz on the canvas in the third round FFS! He can't have been that "not right". Ruiz absolutely fucked him with that big clubbing right hand. The modern obsession with conspiracies is really kicking in. To Eddie Hearn's credit he has dismissed all of that from the start and said AJ got beaten fair and square by the better man on the night.  

Maybe Al Haymon will steer Ruiz away from the rematch, bump Ortiz and put on a unification fight? Eddie Hearn would be spewing at that. 

Cold. Food poisoning. Already concussed. Dodgy groin guard. Deprived of his regular TUE juice. 
He had Ruiz on the canvas in the third round FFS! He can't have been that "not right". Ruiz absolutely fucked him with that big clubbing right hand. The modern obsession with conspiracies is really kicking in. To Eddie Hearn's credit he has dismissed all of that from the start and said AJ got beaten fair and square by the better man on the night.  
Maybe Al Haymon will steer Ruiz away from the rematch, bump Ortiz and put on a unification fight? Eddie Hearn would be spewing at that. 
There really arent any excuses in boxing. Damage sustained in camp and mental fortitude relative to your opponent may be unseen factors, but you are responsible for how you enter the ring and all of those are factors in your attempts to beat the guy in front of you. The indignation flying about at a wee fat guy bleaching a big musclebound handsome chap is hilarious. There must be some reason why this happned??!?!??@?#???

Naw, wee fatty tights turned up better on the night and man to man, proved better.

15 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Got that transcript of the after round conversations between Joshua and McCracken that I mentioned earlier.

After Round 1

McCracken: Don't drop down to his height, just box him

AJ: Yeah

McCracken: Use your height and reach. You can't get past the jab if you jab up and down and they walk into the right hand OK? Put your legs out, relax

AJ: What do you reckon I can do now?

McCracken: Bit busy with the jab up and down. Start shooting the head behind 1-2, behind 1-2, up on your toes, the odd 1-2 boom boom. Keep him long, keep him long. Don't look for the hooks yet

AJ: It's too early

McCracken: Keep him long, jab back, if you can shoot one there, if you have to feint... hit him with a jab and a 1-2, don't have your hands down, come on be busy, stop him walking in, straight 1-2

After Round 2

McCracken: OK OK when he comes in just follow it with a right hand...

AJ: Little bit more relaxed

McCracken: Yeah little more relaxed. Don't go flat just use your feet when you're in range. Don't go flat in range. Little bit busier, the jab's killing him and up and down with the right hand

AJ: He's just waiting for a hook

McCracken: Yeah but you're gonna keep waking him up with them left rights OK? Every now and then a hook off the jab OK?

AJ: In the centre

McCracken: Yeah and break him down with the reach. Chin down.

After Round 3

Can't hear unfortunately they show replays and Paulie is talking

Edit: Here's a little bit from the DAZN broadcast

McCracken: How you feel, are you OK? Put your legs out. Come on, listen to me! Listen to me! You've got to get back behind that jab, you've got to tie him up on the inside! Take a deep breath, come on listen! You can't load up, you've got to box and you've got to defend-

It cuts out there to show a replay of the knockdowns.

After Round 4

McCracken: Come on listen. All that happened was you hurt him and you rushed in and he caught you. Put your legs out. Do what you gotta do... Solid jab and the right hand, just moving, defending with your head movement and your hands alright? Keep the hands up when you're boxing. AJ's face. Don't come down

AJ: What shot was it?

McCracken: He caught you with a hook because you loaded up, alright? So let's just keep the hands up. Listen you're back in the game, jab jab right hand, calm, you'll break him down you can do this. If you stay busy for two rounds you can do this. Come on!

After Round 5

McCracken: Come on listen listen. All you've got to do is be a little bit busier

McCracken: All you've got to do, just sit down. All you've got to do is be a little bit busier. Box a little bit more. Bit more jabs and right hands OK, little bit busier, alright? You listening? Swallow, listen to me, listen to me, listen, listen you can win this fight, you've just got to be busier, you've got to hit him with the reach, you don't need to be looking for hooks

McCracken: Jab jab right hand, if you catch him don't look for power look to box, because you'll walk him into the shots, it's when you look for hooks he caught you.

AJ: OK

McCracken: Don't look for hooks

AJ: He got me with a hook?

McCracken: Yeah he caught you with a hook because you loaded up with your own hook. Jab jab right hand, listen we've got to win these rounds now mate, come on let's get into gear now. Come on let's get boxing again

AJ: What will he come out and do?

McCracken: He'll come out and try a stalk you and throw hooks

McCracken: He'll try and rush out

AJ: And put him on his back foot

McCracken: Hit him with the 1-2, box all straight stuff, come on hands up. Busier Josh

After Round 6

McCracken: All you've got to do is start throwing your 1-2s alright? Have a drink alright. All you've got to do is start throwing your 1-2s mate. And shoot the odd body shot down that's all you've got to do

AJ: Why am I feeling like this though?

McCracken: You've just got to time him, if you hit him you'll slow him right down. Deep breaths... Come on you can do this... jab jab right hand

AJ: Yeah. What shots will catch him?

McCracken: Left and right, left and right long, and then look for the hook round the side

AJ: What shot caught him though?

McCracken: The jab and the right hand. Come on uppercut and hook as well inside. When you block uppercut come on. Be busier though Josh

Question to those with ring time, is it normal to not know what shot you've been hit with? He asks that a few times. 

Question to those with ring time, is it normal to not know what shot you've been hit with? He asks that a few times. 
My ring is time is very limited but yes, and the ones you dont see hurt the most. Its why pillow fisted c***s like Floyd can and do hurt people.

3 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Only way the truth will come out is if we find out why AJs father went for Hearn in the ring.   Anyone that watched that fight could see he wasn't right from the start.  You dont have to be an expert in anything to deduce that.  More will come out in the days to come, I'm sure of it.

Edited by LargsTON

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Must be concussion talking. Yeah, if it's a big shot "clang" out of the blue and you know to do what you need to do to recover, be it hold, GTF out of range or whatever. Trainer said to him he got hit as he was loading up (so slow/telegraphed). He should maybe also be saying to him to get his hands back up to protect himself quicker and not leave the arms dangling out after the punches - really basic stuff like that can be helpful/reassuring. 

50 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

Only way the truth will come out is if we find out why AJs father went for Hearn in the ring.   Anyone that watched that fight could see he wasn't right from the start.  You dont have to be an expert in anything to deduce that.  More will come out in the days to come, I'm sure of it.

There are plenty on here who aren't experts that didn't notice it for hours after the fight, I've watched it a few times and can't see much until he gets tagged, the biggest excuse I can make for him is Matchroom blowing smoke up his arse for the cash rather than working on his shortcomings over the last few years, he's made a mint so heyho, the lack of development wasn't helped by him taking the easy belt and having to act like a champ too early, my own fancy for the top appears to be taking that approach, might not be as good as I thought.

There are plenty on here who aren't experts that didn't notice it for hours after the fight, I've watched it a few times and can't see much until he gets tagged, the biggest excuse I can make for him is Matchroom blowing smoke up his arse for the cash rather than working on his shortcomings over the last few years, he's made a mint so heyho, the lack of development wasn't helped by him taking the easy belt and having to act like a champ too early, my own fancy for the top appears to be taking that approach, might not be as good as I thought.
Who's that?

24 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I was referring more to the ringwalk and the fighters being introduced.  He looked miles away.  Even his standard bowing to four sides of the arena was absent, he instead opted to slouch against the ropes.  All of the above might sound a bit hysterical but that's my take on it anyway.   Mentally he was gone before a punch was even thrown.

2 hours ago, Stevieda said:
2 hours ago, ayrmad said:

Who's that?

Dubois, why he hasn't been fighting every 6 or 8 weeks is beyond me.

1 hour ago, LargsTON said:

I was referring more to the ringwalk and the fighters being introduced.  He looked miles away.  Even his standard bowing to four sides of the arena was absent, he instead opted to slouch against the ropes.  All of the above might sound a bit hysterical but that's my take on it anyway.   Mentally he was gone before a punch was even thrown.

How many of his previous opponents might have suffered the same fate before going in with him.

25 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

How many of his previous opponents might have suffered the same fate before going in with him.

I don't really see how that's relevant.  I'm not a fan of Joshua btw so I'm not trying to look for excuses for him.

Hearn saying they’ve triggered the rematch clause, venue to be confirmed but November/December. Ruiz quoted as saying he calls the shots now so will be interesting to see where it happens and how things pan out.

4 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Anyone got a link to a clip from the third round?

I can't seem to get anything decent, other than the link of the knockout a few pages back.

13 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

I don't really see how that's relevant.  I'm not a fan of Joshua btw so I'm not trying to look for excuses for him.

Plenty of boxers lose fights in their head, it's a big part of the sport.

Personally I just think he realised very quickly that Ruiz was just waiting to hook his head off and didn't really know how to deal with it.