Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Folk in the last few pages ranting about folk being desperate for AJ to fail... I didnt want him to lose lastnight. Until the fight started, and Ruiz came back from the KD then proceeded to run through AJ with a polished performance to which he had no answer. At that point I wanted the right man to win.

Like McGregor, Joshua’s rise has been so meteoric and all encompassing that I think you essentially have three groups of people when a major fighter loses:

1) huge fans who have 100% invested in to the fighter and will defend them to the hilt;

2) “haters” who cannot wait for the built-up mega star to lose and be knocked down a peg or two; and

3) people who are neither fans or “haters”, but noticed flaws in the fighter’s game, predicted the loss and are now feeling vindicated (I’m in this category).

This thread has had a wide selection of all three, which, when you’re dealing with a polarising subject with varying levels of interest and knowledge, probably isn’t that surprising.

Just now, J_Stewart said:

Like McGregor, Joshua’s rise has been so meteoric and all encompassing that I think you essentially have three groups of people when a major fighter loses:

1) huge fans who have 100% invested in to the fighter and will defend them to the hilt;

2) “haters” who cannot wait for the built-up mega star to lose and be knocked down a peg or two; and

3) people who are neither fans or “haters”, but noticed flaws in the fighter’s game, predicted the loss and are now feeling vindicated (I’m in this category).

This thread has had a wide selection of all three, which, when you’re dealing with a polarising subject with varying levels of interest and knowledge, probably isn’t that surprising.

I have been all 3 of those categories in my time as a boxing fan. (1, Ricky Hatton. 2, Too many to name, 3, where I have been recently with AJ)

Really dont dislike AJ. Not too much to dislike there other than the fact I have never really trusted his persona. Following boxing as a sport rather than fighters specifically means that lastnight becomes quite an enjoyable thing to see. We all get sucked in from time to time though. 

Joshua is a good fighter but i don’t like how he’s regarded as some butter wouldn’t melt character when he was a borderline criminal. Fury for me didn’t get the recognition he deserved from the Klitschko fight and to come back from where has was at to now is amazing.

Fury>>Wilder>>Joshua but any of them could win on their day, Fury the best boxer imo.

I’m maybe one of the Hearn fanboys when it came to AJ but I genuinely thought he was the real deal. Personally I don’t think he was protected as such as the Fury or Wilder fights were not as simple to make as people who hate matchroom like  to make out. I thought he was making a good career of it and whilst I couldn’t ever see a fight with Wilder coming I did think we would see him take on Fury. Wilder is every bit of the shitbag that AJ is made out to be. Only reason he took the Fury fight was with the timing he thought he would walk it. 

As for last night what worries me most was AJ looked absolutely garbage. I was not impressed at all and he fully deserved to lose anyone who makes out Ruiz isn’t heavy favourite in the rematch  if there is one is delusional. I don’t know if that’s just how good AJ really is but he looked a complete imposter. When Whyte clipped him I thought he got lucky with 1 punch when AJ went for the kill. When he got up against Vlad I thought wow what a chin. Now I see he has a terrible defence actually and Whyte’s punch is not a one off. AJ is there to be hurt every time. As has been stated on here Vlad missed a golden chance and should have jumped all over AJ. 

People were saying they question AJ’s heart and he chucked it but I don’t think he recovered from the third round. He was done from there is was just a matter of time. I will be one of a few on here gutted he lost last night but fair play to Ruiz and AJ has a lot of thinking and soul searching ahead of him. 

29 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

I’m maybe one of the Hearn fanboys when it came to AJ but I genuinely thought he was the real deal. Personally I don’t think he was protected as such as the Fury or Wilder fights were not as simple to make as people who hate matchroom like  to make out. I thought he was making a good career of it and whilst I couldn’t ever see a fight with Wilder coming I did think we would see him take on Fury. Wilder is every bit of the shitbag that AJ is made out to be. Only reason he took the Fury fight was with the timing he thought he would walk it. 

As for last night what worries me most was AJ looked absolutely garbage. I was not impressed at all and he fully deserved to lose anyone who makes out Ruiz isn’t heavy favourite in the rematch  if there is one is delusional. I don’t know if that’s just how good AJ really is but he looked a complete imposter. When Whyte clipped him I thought he got lucky with 1 punch when AJ went for the kill. When he got up against Vlad I thought wow what a chin. Now I see he has a terrible defence actually and Whyte’s punch is not a one off. AJ is there to be hurt every time. As has been stated on here Vlad missed a golden chance and should have jumped all over AJ. 

People were saying they question AJ’s heart and he chucked it but I don’t think he recovered from the third round. He was done from there is was just a matter of time. I will be one of a few on here gutted he lost last night but fair play to Ruiz and AJ has a lot of thinking and soul searching ahead of him. 

A lot went wrong for AJ last night, i have neither love nor hate for any of them, i just enjoy a good fight and last night ruiz gave us a good fight, his hand speed was excellent given his build, his punches might have lacked the power, but the fact he could land one either side of the head in quick succession completely fucked AJ

AJ hasnt fought a boxer with movement and hand speed like that yet, this could be the learning curve for him, he knows that he can't just trade jabs with a big boy and try to tire them out and get the most power punches in, or it could wreck his career if he can't learn from it

Joshua has gotten worse since the Vlad fight. 

Never improved footwork, head movement, defence. Muscle bound and blowing out his arse at the end of round 1!

Thought it would have taken fury to really expose him tho.

Fair play to ruiz

I honestly think if during the Parker joshua fight if the referee hadn't stopped Parker every time they got close he could prob have clocked him too.

Someone said it earlier, joshuas been exposed now. He's done at the top level. I'd fancy ruiz to put in the hours and do him again.

Watching it now and for me it just looks like he totally lost his discipline after knocking down Ruiz and got caught out trying to go in for the kill and never properly recovered. Was a good spectacle anyway and looking forward to the rematch.

Edited by gannonball

18 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

So Joshua gets beat for the first time. Some people on hear claim he's now suddenly shite. Unbelievable

Nah, most have probably been consistent on his abilities or lack of.

Might look back in a few years and find out that the big 3 were all pretty shite, time will tell.

19 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

So Joshua gets beat for the first time. Some people on hear claim he's now suddenly shite. Unbelievable

I think more accurately, people are saying he was an over hyped media creation. Not shite, just nowhere near as good as he was made out to be.

Many people have been pointing out the ways he will lose for quite some time. So it's not sudden at all.

Perhaps a change of trainer and strategy plus losing alot of bulk and he might come back stronger. Fair play if he does.

Can't see it tho

The accusations about him being a stiff robot are completely accurate tbf. Look at Wilder, 30-40lbs lighter but extremely athletic and his physique gets him great leverage on his punches. Would be interesting to see AJ back around 230lbs like he started his career at.

Don't think AJ knew where he was after the first knockdown. Even after seeing the doc etc he still looked pretty vacant. He's asking his trainer where he is and what round it is and his trainer is telling him to "just go and knock him out". 

18 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Heard Joshua's old boy was all up at Hearn post fight for him selling Joshua out to Dazn and taking him to the States.  Like the Brook - Golovkin scenario all over again, the man's a lizard.

In all honesty, Ruiz would have scudded him in Joshua' local Tesco car park.

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

Don't think AJ knew where he was after the first knockdown. Even after seeing the doc etc he still looked pretty vacant. He's asking his trainer where he is and what round it is and his trainer is telling him to "just go and knock him out". 

Read a transcript of the conversations between him and McCracken between rounds and it's strange stuff, he seemed shook like something happened during the camp. End of round 6 he asks McCracken why he's feeling the way he does. I'll try find it later. Ended up feeling a bit sorry for Joshua surprisingly, he quit in there basically.