Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Well, that is fucking hilarious [emoji23]

Glenn Hoddle and Eddie Hearn close to tears as their dreams are ripped away in front of their very eyes, on the same night, you say?
IMG_9561.jpg.12999c0e99b92fac185df328808f9de0.jpg
If Eddie wasnt swept away emotionally by his fighters he would have cashed put on AJ v Wilder, given the weaknesses in both that go with their strengths. Hard to feel sorry for him. Sometimes he acts like a thick fanboy rather than a businessman.

Anthony hype job Joshua 🤣
His reaction after the fight is worrying. Thos might sound overdramatic but he could be finished in the game very soon.

I have never bought his lines about being passionate about the sport, about wanting a long career etc or being a student of the game. If he loses the rematch he retires IMO. Theres nothing there. There was no fire in that fight. He felt something he didnt like and bailed.

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

His reaction after the fight is worrying. Thos might sound overdramatic but he could be finished in the game very soon.

I have never bought his lines about being passionate about the sport, about wanting a long career etc or being a student of the game. If he loses the rematch he retires IMO. Theres nothing there. There was no fire in that fight. He felt something he didnt like and bailed.

Exactly what I was thinking.  Even from the ringwalks he didn't look right.   Dunno if it was just because he was out of his comfort zone or fighting in an alien environment but he just wasnt himself.

I honestly don't think he recovered from his first, or maybe second knockdown. His legs were totally gone and he was saved by the bell. Watching again I don't think he shat it/quit, he just didn't know what was happening.... the second two knockdowns weren't even that hard, more flurries.

His punch resistance is awful. And that's a big bulk to try and shake your legs off.

16 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I think it will. 

It'll be huge and Sky will give the comeback narrative massive hype.

The UK boxing fanbase is a fickle entity. This loss will hurt AJs fanbase massively. Too many folk just along for the hype train . A lot of people simply wont shell out not that hes been beat

Fury is absolute horse hockey, and if he doesn’t shite out against Wilder, he’ll get knocked out instead. Joshua would have them both anyway.

Didn’t you shite out of helping your dad and idly stand by, while he got a beating similar to the one Anthony Joshua received tonight?

Boxing is littered with Cinderella stories, this being another to add to the history of the sport.
Joshua got involved in a fire fight with a puncher. Come rematch, he'll have to keep the distance, box at range & take a points win, if he can. Should have done that after he knocked Ruiz down, instead of jumping in & getting tagged. It certainly turned the fight on its head.

Delighted to wake up and see the smile wiped off his and Hearn's faces. The low risk, high reward cherry picking and avoiding approaching makes a mockery of the sport. This always happens when people avoid a fight too long, it goes off the boil, interest eventually wanes and the fans of the sport dont get the fight they want.

I just watched the final knock down there and AJ gets 24 seconds of recovery before the ref waves it off. Do you think Ruiz would have been extended the same luxury if it was him on the receiving end?

The “deer in the headlights” not reacting well to being hurt has been telegraphed ever since the Whyte fight and will have come as no real shock to anyone that’s been watching Joshua closely. Povetkin shook him up last time, and it Should never be forgotten that in all likelihood, had Manny Steward been in Wlad’s corner at Wembley instead of Jonathon Banks, Wlad would have finished him there and then as opposed to sitting off and letting him recover.

I’ve said on numerous occasions that I could make a case for Joshua beating Fury or Wilder, but that I could absolutely see them beating him and would favour either, as I thought Joshua would be too robotic for Fury, and wouldn’t be able to handle Wilder’s power. Last night only reinforces that opinion.

Fair play to Joshua if he does recover from this but I think Ruiz will take him again in a rematch, his brawling style doesn’t suit AJ. Wilder would likely destroy him too. He was maybe concussed but he didn’t seem too enthusiastic for the rematch even, possibly knows himself the games up. Gotta love the Mexicans!

On 31/05/2019 at 08:48, Boostin' Kev said:

Hope all 3 of Joshua, Wilder and Fury get iced in their next fights, costing them millions that they could have had if these fights were getting made.  Got fed up hearing about Joshua and Wilder at least 18 months ago, you'd think there was nothing else happening in the sport.

Not surprised in the slightest, knew a bum would empty him at some point, Warren having Dubois fighting twice a year looks pretty silly now.

It's a good job a young Tyson isn't around, straight across from the 1st bell and timber.