Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

9 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
9 hours ago, JamieStevenson said:
Just 2 minutes is all it takes for Breazeale to be starfished on the canvas. Devastating.

That right hand negates any/all lack of actual skill. The power in it is beyond normal scale.

AJ's biggest weakness suits that punch perfectly.

Don't like saying it but Prograis is a level or 2 above Baranchyk.  Imagine he'll be quite a clear favourite for the final now.

I think Josh needs to be fighting a lot smarter now at this level. To often he was needlessly getting drawn into a fight with Baranchyk. Think it was the 11 when he was caught and forced back. When he was actually using his skills he was making Baranchyk look foolish swinging wildly and missing. Think he has the height and reach advantage against Prograis so he has to use that and not get drawn into anything silly.

The dynamics were a bit different with it being a semi final. Josh knew he'd done enough with the two knockdowns and underlined his superiority at will, hitting Barancyk with those double jabs, making him miss at times and also steaming into him at times to hurt him. Just couldn't see Josh losing that fight due to how one dimensional (cracking wee scrapper though) Barancyk is. 

Prograis has openly been focusing on Taylor for a while and looked a bit rattled at the scale of the event on Saturday. With about 60 more amateur fights and fewer pro fights, Josh doesn't seem to care too much about who he is facing. He has the tools to handle any kind of fight. 8/5 on Taylor to win seems good value. I don't think the skill gap between them (in Prograis's favour) is as wide as the physical gap (in Taylor's favour).

Just seen a press conference for a ridiculous bare knuckle event in which Paulie Malignaggi spat at opponent Artem Lobov.

A manky wee p***k, who has been making an arse of himself over Lobov for months now. But Malignaggi, with his china hands in a bare knuckle fight?? Id be willing to take a shot off Paulie tbh. Hope he gets laid out.

Was also surprised auld pillow fists was going to bare knuckle. Do this mob have big money behind them? 

I noticed the other week British Cruiserweight jobber Matty Askin had joined this mob as well.

Was also surprised auld pillow fists was going to bare knuckle. Do this mob have big money behind them? 
I noticed the other week British Cruiserweight jobber Matty Askin had joined this mob as well.

Think they’re well backed.

Co-main is two former UFC veterans. Chris Leben been in some absolute wars and knocked his opponent out in 25seconds in his last BK fight.

The bare knuckle stuff is horrific. How this is ever sanctioned is beyond me.
A lot of people even within boxing make the arguement that it is safer. Not sure I subscribe but generally along the same lines as the headguard arguement I think, ie use of gloves allows for more prolonged beating which is worse. A combination of less punches thrown (fighters have to think about their hands) and less taken (greater impact, easier to KO) means less cumulative damage.

Thats the gist anyway

A lot of people even within boxing make the arguement that it is safer. Not sure I subscribe but generally along the same lines as the headguard arguement I think, ie use of gloves allows for more prolonged beating which is worse. A combination of less punches thrown (fighters have to think about their hands) and less taken (greater impact, easier to KO) means less cumulative damage.

Thats the gist anyway
Yeah i get that argument i do but seeing them at the end or the fight is awful. These precautions ie gloves etc are put in to make it safe no???

Yeah i get that argument i do but seeing them at the end or the fight is awful. These precautions ie gloves etc are put in to make it safe no???
Yeah, but thinking changes over time I guess. I dont fancy it. I dont think it will take off, as it is probably too brutal to gain much traction, and no one except hardened fighters or those with limited options will want to risk either their hands or their faces on it. Malignaggi being the exception since I believe he could still get at least some gatekeeper type boxing matches.

Just speculating really about why it hasnt been banned. Conventional thinking sees it as open and shut. Like i say I havent read much about it, just that some folk take the view that gloves allow for more blunt force trauma to the head.

They tried to start something like it not that long ago with a cpuple of names. It was like a bowl type set up and I think bare knuckle. IIRC Gabe Rosado was maybe involved, il have to google, anyway, that never took off either

Eta talking shite, it was Big Knockout Boxing I am thinking of but they used conventional gloves.