Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

We're all boxing accountants these days eh. Feels like a sporting version of Game of Thrones at times. 
One of the things that eimds me up most about modern boxing. Fans buying into the fighter/promoter "if it makes dollars it makes sense" or "I'mma have to sit down with my team" bullshit.

Fans of the sport should be judging fighters purely on a sporting basis. Instead you have fans giving a pass for certain ducked fights over a career because of the monetary reasons spoon fed to us by the parties involved.

If AJ didnt fight Wilder or Fury and goes on to beat everyone else then retires, I am still going to question his legacy on boxing terms. There are some fans who will literally be ok with that based on the split of PPV money or some shit. f**k off.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

One of the things that eimds me up most about modern boxing. Fans buying into the fighter/promoter "if it makes dollars it makes sense" or "I'mma have to sit down with my team" bullshit.

Fans of the sport should be judging fighters purely on a sporting basis. Instead you have fans giving a pass for certain ducked fights over a career because of the monetary reasons spoon fed to us by the parties involved.

If AJ didnt fight Wilder or Fury and goes on to beat everyone else then retires, I am still going to question his legacy on boxing terms. There are some fans who will literally be ok with that based on the split of PPV money or some shit. f**k off.

This promoter/boxer loyalty thing is brutal anywhere in the world but it's on another level in the UK.

Sky/Matchroom are very good at milking it to casuals who are more interested in the the full day out rather than what's actually happening in the ring. They've created a Matchroom FC basically and it's hugely getting in the way of some good fights getting made. 

Said it a a few times on here, with the exception of Josh Taylor, for obvious reasons, I have no bias towards any boxers. 

7 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Some folk are interested in the business side of sport too. Some aren't. Not sure why someone would get their knickers in a twist about it.

The reason people get upset is because it's getting passed off as an excuse far too easily now for the fights we want to see not getting made. 

34 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

The reason people get upset is because it's getting passed off as an excuse far too easily now for the fights we want to see not getting made. 

I think it's more of a "I think this is why x happened" rather than "I'm OK with it because of x".

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I generally have no problem with mandatories, fights like Jarrell Miller for the elite guys IF they are fighting 3 times a year.

Unfortunately, Joshua wont fight 3 times a year. In fact, if he was, he could take 2 Millers and 1 big fight for 3 years running and have a belting CV. Heavyweights cant hop divisions, and guys like BHop gets credit for having held down a division for years, but he was active and he also took the big fights. Where there is an issue with a Miller fight is the inevitable selling it as something it isnt, for 15 quid and then 6 months of will he wont he fight an actual, relevant fight.

No room for filler shite on a 2 fight max calendar.

f**k AJ on that basis.

So who should he be fighting then given Wilder and Fury are rematching?

So who should he be fighting then given Wilder and Fury are rematching?

Youl note that I did say I didnt have a huge problem with Miller as an opponent. That level of fighting is ok for me but not for twice a year fighters.

There was plenty of time to make the Wilder fight, it seems to me he or Eddie dont want it. If Joshua pisses away the whole of 2019 on Miller plus some other of similar level though, thats a piss take. Fury acted smartly to get Wilder tied up.

So with that said, AJ could up his activity, put the pressure on the others to fight him. He wont though. He will see out 2019 with Miller and Whyte. Dross.

1 hour ago, Marshmallo said:

I think it's more of a "I think this is why x happened" rather than "I'm OK with it because of x".

Good point. There's a big issue with a lot of people though that because Hearn pops up in front of the camera once again cracking jokes and pushing the routine about offering a good deal and it not being accepted because the other party is being unreasonable that's it far too readily accepted and we get served up a shit sandwich of an alternative yet again 

Youl note that I did say I didnt have a huge problem with Miller as an opponent. That level of fighting is ok for me but not for twice a year fighters.

There was plenty of time to make the Wilder fight, it seems to me he or Eddie dont want it. If Joshua pisses away the whole of 2019 on Miller plus some other of similar level though, thats a piss take. Fury acted smartly to get Wilder tied up.

So with that said, AJ could up his activity, put the pressure on the others to fight him. He wont though. He will see out 2019 with Miller and Whyte. Dross.

Why should Joshua go to America for one belt, risk a shite decision against a guy with as shite a record as Wilder ? When did Wilder become the A side ? There's as much chance of Wilder coming to London as there is me winning the lottery.

7 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:

Why should Joshua go to America for one belt, risk a shite decision against a guy with as shite a record as Wilder ? When did Wilder become the A side ? There's as much chance of Wilder coming to London as there is me winning the lottery.

To prove that he's the  best heavyweight on the planet. Is that not the whole point for guys like Joshua, Fury and Wilder?

Firstly I like you dont know all of the details or where it all fell down.

Secondly, whether you like it or not America is where its at for big money in boxing if you happen to care, which you clearly do if you care who is "A side".

This is why giys like Hatton were itching to go there and guys like Calzaghe eventually recognised the need. And AJ is now too. Clearly.

Secondly, whether you like it or not America is where its at for big money in boxing if you happen to care, which you clearly do if you care who is "A side".

This is why giys like Hatton were itching to go there and guys like Calzaghe eventually recognised the need. And AJ is now too. Clearly.

The big money's with AJ in the heavyweight division.

2 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:
35 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The big money's with AJ in the heavyweight division.

Not in the UK it isn't although you've been led to believe otherwise. 

Belts are glorified trinkets right now but if there's one worth having it's the WBC. 

No it isnt. Its in generating PPVs in America. Same as everywhere else. The Wembley gate doesnt beat that.
Fury v Wilder generated something like 300000 ppv. Joshua generated double that against any old c**t down the pub and generated 5x that against Klitch. I'll ask again why should Joshua travel to the USA to "prove himself " whereas Wilder doesn't need to prove himself the other way round. His record is absolute shite so I'd suggest he needs to prove himself a bit more.

6 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:
19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
No it isnt. Its in generating PPVs in America. Same as everywhere else. The Wembley gate doesnt beat that.

Fury v Wilder generated something like 300000 ppv. Joshua generated double that against any old c**t down the pub and generated 5x that against Klitch. I'll ask again why should Joshua travel to the USA to "prove himself " whereas Wilder doesn't need to prove himself the other way round. His record is absolute shite so I'd suggest he needs to prove himself a bit more.

Where do you begin to answer a post like that?:lol: Helpful of you though to give some of the doubters a real time example of why so many fans are fed up of the Sky/Matchroom narrative pish. 

Edited by Boostin' Kev
The boy's talking pish.

Where do you begin with a reply like that?[emoji38] Helpful of you though to give some of the doubters a real time example of why so many fans are fed up of the Sky/Matchroom narrative pish. 
Nothing to do with narrative. Why is no one doubting wilder ? Why does Joshua have to travel to America to prove himself against a guy who almost got knocked out by Ortiz and was thoroughly outboxed by Fury. The only 2 names on his record worth talking about. Maybe he should travel to London and "prove" himself. I'm not even convinced the rematch with Fury will happen as the only reason he took the fight in the first place is because he thought Fury was done imo.

7 minutes ago, AUFC90 said:
10 minutes ago, Boostin said:
Where do you begin with a reply like that?emoji38.png Helpful of you though to give some of the doubters a real time example of why so many fans are fed up of the Sky/Matchroom narrative pish. 

Nothing to do with narrative. Why is no one doubting wilder ? Why does Joshua have to travel to America to prove himself against a guy who almost got knocked out by Ortiz and was thoroughly outboxed by Fury. The only 2 names on his record worth talking about. Maybe he should travel to London and "prove" himself. I'm not even convinced the rematch with Fury will happen as the only reason he took the fight in the first place is because he thought Fury was done imo.

Both Hearn and Finkel know that taking this fight to Vegas is the biggest moneyspinner in boxing, if not any sport. 

Wilders promoters are trying to make cash on him too. And they know that cracking a million ppvs in America where they pay about 40 quid for it, plus gate, plus corporate is where its at. 90k at Wembley doesnt make up for promoting an American show, in America screening it at America friendly times.