Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

After last night watching Wilder and fury i reckon aj deals with them both, Wilder was bullied and outboxed in spectacular fashion, i was worried he would ko fury but glad to be proved wrong. I think wilder is to small to keep Joshua off him so i reckon Joshua by ko mid rounds. Would love to see fury v usyk but i reckon we are looking at a Wilder v Fury trilogy

49 minutes ago, quickoverayard said:

After last night watching Wilder and fury i reckon aj deals with them both, Wilder was bullied and outboxed in spectacular fashion, i was worried he would ko fury but glad to be proved wrong. I think wilder is to small to keep Joshua off him so i reckon Joshua by ko mid rounds. Would love to see fury v usyk but i reckon we are looking at a Wilder v Fury trilogy

Really?  I don't think AJ could deal with either of them tbh.  Wilder would knock him out as AJ doesn't have anywhere near the defensive skills of Fury and Fury would simply outbox him.  It's all about opinions I suppose and time will tell.

With all the LH titles being held by different fighters, I wonder if Kalle would throw his WBSS at them to finally unify the titles?

Gvozdyk/Bivol/Beterbiev & Alvarez, throw in Jack, Kovalev, Browne/Smith Jr or even Yarde would make for top viewing IMO.

Edited by kiddy

Fury's very good isn't he, had Wilder swinging at thin air almost all fight, one of the best comebacks from a knockdown I can remember he caught a good left hook on the way down after the right hand as well. Full credit to Jack Reiss for giving Fury the count, could you imagine that happening over here. 

4 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Fury's very good isn't he, had Wilder swinging at thin air almost all fight, one of the best comebacks from a knockdown I can remember he caught a good left hook on the way down after the right hand as well. Full credit to Jack Reiss for giving Fury the count, could you imagine that happening over here. 

Doesn't appear to count for much when some people are scoring rounds

Really?  I don't think AJ could deal with either of them tbh.  Wilder would knock him out as AJ doesn't have anywhere near the defensive skills of Fury and Fury would simply outbox him.  It's all about opinions I suppose and time will tell.
All pretty much subjective just now but working behind a jab is food enough to beat Wilder plus Joshua has good timing. Hhhhm forget AJ is an Olympian so his skills are pretty sound not a bronze medallist. No doubt fury would frustrate him but i see a AJ ko.

21 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Doesn't appear to count for much when some people are scoring rounds

The art of hitting, without being hit. If only he had thrown more  leather in those rounds that were close?

17 minutes ago, kiddy said:

The art of hitting, without being hit. If only he had thrown more  leather in those rounds that were close?

Why? lots of rounds where he landed as many decent shots as Wilder while making Wilder look like a fool, how anyone can watch that fight and not see that Fury was levels above is beyond me.

Reminded me of loads of Eubanks senior fights against lesser lights, Eubanks would throw a wee flurry to catch the eye and spend the rest of the round schooling his opponent, he usually got awarded almost every round and I never heard anyone suggesting his fights were anything other than one-sided.

Edited by ayrmad

16 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Why? lots of rounds where he landed as many decent shots as Wilder while making Wilder look like a fool, how anyone can watch that fight and not see that Fury was levels above is beyond me.

Reminded me of loads of Eubanks senior fights against lesser lights, Eubanks would throw a wee flurry to catch the eye and spend the rest of the round schooling his opponent, he usually got awarded almost every round and I never heard anyone suggesting his fights were anything other than one-sided.

Yes, & he won those rounds. However, there were rounds when he was too busy trying to make Wilder look foolish & didn't throw enough to justify winning them. They were called close rounds & it was even commented on the scorecard.

Watching the fight now as I was out last night.

1 - Wilder

2 - Fury

3 - Fury

4 - Fury

5- Fury

6 - Fury

7 - Fury

8 - Fury

9 - Wilder 10-8

10 - Fury

11 - Wilder

12 - Wilder 10-8

114 - 112 Fury. I was being pretty generous giving Wilder the 1st and 11th.

Watching the fight now as I was out last night.

1 - Wilder
2 - Fury
3 - Fury
4 - Fury
5- Fury
6 - Fury
7 - Fury
8 - Fury
9 - Wilder 10-8
10 - Fury
11 - Wilder
12 - Wilder 10-8

114 - 112 Fury. I was being pretty generous giving Wilder the 1st and 11th.

That's exactly how I scored it too.

I hadn't fancied Fury to win on point as the judges were always going to be pretty favourable to the home champ. Fury's skill was plain for all to see but I have to give a bit of love to Wilder as he fairly livened up the later rounds and a judge over here would have probably jumped in to stop it as Fury was on the way to the canvas in the 12th. Fury is the hardest heavyweight to hit yet Wilder dropped him with both hands. To set up the "KO" he had to walk into Fury's straight right hand so he's a tough lad and can take a punch. Ortiz probably wobbled him more than Fury. The BT commentator said something like "What a right hand" from Fury yet it was Wilder simultaneously countering with the jab that did the damage, stunning him just long enough for Wilder to then flatten him.

Wilder and his team had tactics but he either froze or said "f**k it" and just started swinging. To still have enough in the tank to deliver that power in the 12 takes a bit of balls, if not skill. Fury seems to respect him anyway as he's a "fighting man". 

If he can drop the hardest to hit heavyweight twice then AJ would be a sitting duck IMO. 

Fury v AJ though? Wilder's eyes about popped out a couple of time when Fury leaned on him so physically it would be a more even contest. Before Saturday I'd have fancied AJ but seeing as Fury is clearly not human and impervious to getting KO'd then I could see him edging AJ on points. 

3 hours ago, Deontay WildPar said:

Wilder and his team had tactics but he either froze or said "f**k it" and just started swinging.

I don't think this is true at all, he was just vastly outskilled by Fury. The gulf was embarrassing at times.

4 hours ago, banana said:

I don't think this is true at all, he was just vastly outskilled by Fury. The gulf was embarrassing at times.

Yep and he'll have even less chance of landing in a rematch, Wilder is a level or 2 below Fury in pure boxing terms.

I think it was the 2nd round where a lot of people gave it to Wilder for his wee flurry, the wee flurry hit fresh air, gloves, arms and shoulders.

Edited by ayrmad

Fury did make him look like a windmill merchant but I think folk are going a bit OTT talking about Wilder like he's some jobber. For all of his flailing about, his objective would have been to crack one sledgehammer at some point in the 12 rounds, which he did. Obviously Fury deserved the win but he could still easily lose a rematch. With less of a cool-headed ref, he would have lost this one.

What surprised me a wee bit - albeit I've only seen him a few times so I was uninformed to begin with - was Wilder not having the tank to follow up the knockdowns. He seemed to have punched himself out when those chances came along. Credit to Fury for that because I'm sure wildly missing big haymakers all night is going to slow anyone down. I just thought with the nick of Wilder that fatigue wouldn't be an issue.

Fury's cardio makes absolutely no sense, the guy is superhuman.

2 hours ago, ayrmad said:

I think it was the 2nd round where a lot of people gave it to Wilder for his wee flurry, the wee flurry hit fresh air, gloves, arms and shoulders.

& nothing came back, round Wilder, 10-9 .;)

Edited by kiddy