Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

26 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

No it’s a gym in Johnstone he trains at. Lee McGregor put a thing on his Instagram about Farooq earlier and I’ve heard the teams have been talking to make the fight. I’m hoping the fight is on the undercard of Taylor’s semi final, and that Farooq flys under the radar of the bookies as there is money to be made there. I like McGregor aswell but just cannot see Kash losing at this level yet, brilliant to watch him in the gym. 

Nice one - can’t beat a good East v West tear up.

I put £5 on Fury winning by split decision. It is very interesting, his peak was when he beat Vlad and you have to Question if he can recapture that, was it a one off? Having said that, I think he has the ring intelligence and physicality to jab, move and control Wilder.

No it’s a gym in Johnstone he trains at. Lee McGregor put a thing on his Instagram about Farooq earlier and I’ve heard the teams have been talking to make the fight. I’m hoping the fight is on the undercard of Taylor’s semi final, and that Farooq flys under the radar of the bookies as there is money to be made there. I like McGregor aswell but just cannot see Kash losing at this level yet, brilliant to watch him in the gym. 
After the fight last night Farooq trainer said Mcgregor fight will happen when the time is right. So I don't imagine that'll be next

10 minutes ago, paisleysaints said:
3 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

After the fight last night Farooq trainer said Mcgregor fight will happen when the time is right. So I don't imagine that'll be next

I didn’t hear that. My feeling is if they don’t fight each other next then Kash will bypass McGregor. Might not be a bad thing for either of them tbh. 

3 hours ago, Tarmo Kink said:

McGregor has looked devastating as a pro and was a great amateur. I haven’t seen any of Farooq yet, I’ll need to watch some of him but wins over Butch, Scott Allan and Jamie Wilson (in a round) is pretty impressive.

Have a look at the punch that knocked Wilson down it’s an absolute peach. There is talk of him getting a promotional contract with Frank Warren which I think is something he needs, as no disrespect to the guys managing him at the minute but they aren’t exactly well quoted when it comes to sitting down and negotiating fights.  He is an absolute pro in the gym, dedicated to the lifestyle. The work he puts in is unreal. 

Going for a few pints in Jimmys Corner this afternoon, ideal preparation before heading to sports bar to watch the fight later this evening.

One of my favourite places in the world. Treasure it. It wont be there forever.

Genuinely my favourite pub in the entire world. Could spend days in there. We went in the evening before heading to MSG for Lomachenko v Rigondeaux and it was absolutely rammed with folk just talking about boxing. Amazing.

On 11/29/2018 at 22:40, pittsburgh phil said:

Wilder just seems a hard sell for some reason. Regardless of who he's fought any other HW champion with his record/knock out ratio would be absolutely famous. Ridiculously, this will be his first PPV I think.

Always have this feeling that in his head he'd rather be an NBA star or something. He also seems like a fairly nice guy, so the trash talk always seems forced.

Aye watching some of the Showtime build-up, Wilder comes across as quite likeable when he's being himself but a complete cringe merchant when he's in monologue mode. As you say, it just doesn't suit him.

I'm going for Wilder late.

Hoping for a wide Fury points win but worried what Fury turns up. He has put an incredible amount of work and dedication in to getting in proper shape so hopefully he pulls it off. Don’t think I’ve watched a fight before where I’ve been so much in one fighters corner, would absolutely love Fury to do this. Absolute scenes afterwards if he does. 

I'm desperate for Fury to win tonight just out of loyalty for the UK boxing scene. It'd be absolutely wild if Britain was the dominant force in heavyweight boxing and held all the championships.

I wonder if we'd start to see a proper shift to high quality, big name fights in the UK as opposed to just Joshua holding his own.

9 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm desperate for Fury to win tonight just out of loyalty for the UK boxing scene. It'd be absolutely wild if Britain was the dominant force in heavyweight boxing and held all the championships.

I wonder if we'd start to see a proper shift to high quality, big name fights in the UK as opposed to just Joshua holding his own.

I don’t think there is many high quality heavyweights out there at the minute tbh. You seem to have Joshua, Fury, Wilder at the top of the tree, then quite a drop in quality down to guys like Whyte, Parker and Povetkin, who seem to be on a sort of merry go round in trying to win a world title. Haven’t factored in Usyk if he is going to move up but I would put him in amongst AJ etc. 

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
5 hours ago, MONKMAN said:
Going for a few pints in Jimmys Corner later this afternoon, ideal preparation before heading to sports bar to watch the fight later this evening.

One of my favourite places in the world. Treasure it. It wont be there forever.

2 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Genuinely my favourite pub in the entire world. Could spend days in there. We went in the evening before heading to MSG for Lomachenko v Rigondeaux and it was absolutely rammed with folk just talking about boxing. Amazing.

An outstanding pub. Pretty sure it was myself who recommended it to @J_Stewart on here a good few years ago,  if not I’m mixing him up with someone else. The other half is away for a nap before we head out tonight, so I’ve taken the opportunity to come for a few quiet beers myself.  Can’t be many places in Manhattan, never mind Times Square, where you can get change from $5 for a beer. 

There’s genuinely few places I’d rather be on this planet than where I am right now, perched at the bar window seat in Jimmys Corner. 

B4DD04CE-56EF-4EBB-BD8B-782AFD99BCE2.jpeg

2 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

An outstanding pub. Pretty sure it was myself who recommended it to @J_Stewart on here a good few years ago,  if not I’m mixing him up with someone else. The other half is away for a nap before we head out tonight, so I’ve taken the opportunity to come for a few quiet beers myself.  Can’t be many places in Manhattan, never mind Times Square, where you can get change from $5 for a beer. 

There’s genuinely few places I’d rather be on this planet than where I am right now, perched at the bar window seat in Jimmys Corner. 

B4DD04CE-56EF-4EBB-BD8B-782AFD99BCE2.jpeg

Is that the entire bar? Bar, bar seats, small space behind the seats?