Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

I like his excuse for Wilder leaving him concussed after sparring - he was "out of shape". 

Christ, did he? He wasn’t exactly in shape in the fight there. Stealing the thinking from the commentary, if he’s saying he’s up there that’s how to judge him and in that shape I don’t see him troubling anyone at the top level.
Not seen the Frankie Gavin fight but know he came in overweight (seems to be a fairly common occurrence for him), was doing well but then stopped with a body shot. He’s presumably finished at any real level and now just be in against prospects?

5 pound overweight seems a bit of a farce. He clearly doesn't live the life and isn't going to change anytime soon that was his last chance at a remotely decent level.

He came with a big reputation from the amateurs but to be honest never seen what the fuss is about in the pro game. 

Miller weighs more than 300 pounds and can fight at a decent tempo for 12 rounds.
He isn't an easy fight for anyone.

As far as I know he’s only ever went 12 once? Against Johann Duhaupas who is admittedly no mug but isn’t elite level and would have been 36/37?
If Miller does manage to shake up the elite I’ll enjoy it, I just really can’t see it

I think people forget (myself included in the past) that you don’t really need to be that good to get into world title fights at heavyweight. Guys like Miller, Whyte, Breazeale, Chisora, Takam etc don’t have much skill in terms of being a boxer, but you can get away with being limited at heavyweight. As long as you can take a shot reasonably well you don’t need much else.

I think he’ll likely earn a shot. I think he’d be soundly beaten though.

50 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

I think people forget (myself included in the past) that you don’t really need to be that good to get into world title fights at heavyweight. Guys like Miller, Whyte, Breazeale, Chisora, Takam etc don’t have much skill in terms of being a boxer, but you can get away with being limited at heavyweight. As long as you can take a shot reasonably well you don’t need much else.

Or another way of looking at is that you are massive, hit hard and can absorb hard shots then you'll do well.

20 hours ago, Tarmo Kink said:

There’s limited and then there’s Miller. Makes Whyte look like Loma. Eddie Hearn seems to rate him though for the reasons you say - the sheer size and strength. 

There’s limited and then there’s Miller. Makes Whyte look like Loma. Eddie Hearn seems to rate him though for the reasons you say - the sheer size and strength. 
Wilder makes me look like loma...... still a heavyweight champ. He has no exceptional skill sets all he has is freakishly hard punch for a man of those dimensions.

7 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

...is about 6 inches shorter?
Agreed he’s a much better fighter than Valuev but Valuev is 7ft so much bigger than his opponents. Miller isn’t.

I think Miller's strength is literally his strength. He's got a powerlifter/world's strongest man type build.

His punches don't have to be particularly accurate to wear down his opponents.