Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

11 hours ago, kiddy said:

Good move by Taylor, proven he can operate at World level & should be in with a chance of being in the final. Will also broaden his experience at that level.

Thought Steve Bunce (yes, I know!) made a good point about the WBSS being a bit of a risk for Taylor at this stage of his career. In terms of his lack of experience and potentially facing 3 World level opponents one after another......that said, it doesn't seem to have done Usyk any harm!

Don't get me wrong, As a boxing fan, I'm all for it but I can see why Promoters "cherry pick" opponents and guide their fighters down certain career paths. Frank Warren being a classic example.

Edited by sjc

Both the Bantam and Light Welter tournaments looking decent. Hopefully Prograis and Taylor are on opposite side of the draw. That's the best fight in the division imo and would be the ideal final, especially if there's a few belts on the line.

James DeGale has vacated his IBF super-middleweight title. My first thought was that he was maybe moving up for a rematch with Badou Jack. 

From reading a couple of different sources though: one thinks that it's to challenge for Billy Joe Saunders' title at middleweight and the other thinks it's because he's deep in talks with George Groves (putting the Super Series final in jeopardy). 

He just said he's chasing big fights now. I'd imagine Groves & Jack rematches are on his list at some point. 

Jack makes more sense now because the Stevenson re-match is being held up and neither look too focused on getting titles. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched Fielding now. Fielding looked like a man against a boy in there. Zuege (sp) looked spent after 2/3 rounds and once Rocky landed once he didn’t fancy it all. Quite strange to watch but happy for big Fielding

Pacquaio looked pretty good with a professional performance last night, and it was due to setting his feet from the start. Against Horn (where I still thought he just won) he tried to fight like he did in his prime - always on his toes, coming in and out in flurries - but not having the leg speed for it anymore, Horn was able to pressure him down as the punching power wasn’t really there with his feet not set to keep him off, whereas last night he was in front of Matthysse and his punches looked considerably stiffer than against Horn. Matthysse himself is obviously past his prime and tailor made for Pacquaio really as he left massive gaps to be countered when he threw, but it was nice to see the alteration in style to still play to his strengths from Manny whilst masking his deteriorations. Good performance.