Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

11 hours ago, JMDP said:

That's left a really bad taste in the mouth. Basically saying Postol had to knock him out to win tonight. 

On the evidence of those scorecards it looks like Postol had to knock him out to get a draw.

The scoring farce shouldn’t reflect badly on Postol or Taylor. That was a terrific display from the pair of them. 

ETA: brilliant to have that on Channel 5 too. Josh deserves more publicity on BBC Scotland too. Andy Murray became a huge star and role model but tennis isn’t the easiest thing for all young kids to get into but boxing is a pretty cheap and accessible sport but just has that rough image it doesn’t really deserve.

Edited by Shandon Par

The WBA now saying they've waited long enough for the Joshua-Wilder fight to be negotiated and they want Joshua-Povetkin organised with immediate effect.

Gut feeling was that we wouldn't get this fight immediately. Thinking that they'll both fulfill current mandatory defences (Povetkin & Breazeale); then maybe one more early next year before a more conveniently timed summer fight at Wembley. Will be built up over a longer period and more dates to choose from (for Wembley itself and American TV).

If AJ fights Povetkin I would have no issue sticking a wee bet on Povetkin. Has the fundamentals not to be easily blown away and more than enough power to hurt AJ. Would put Povetkin as AJs second toughest challenge if he fights him.

Hearn will be shiting it. The prospect of the Wilder fight evaporating due to either guy getting sparked whilst they fail to make the fight and have to fight others will keep him up at night.

Don't like to disagree with my friend from Falkirk but I think Povetkin is an opponent that will suit AJ. He'll know what to expect and I don't think he'll have to do anything too fancy to counter his threat. AJ frequently got caught a bit flat footed in his last two fights but neither guy had the power to take advantage. Povetkin will get down low and come right at him so  AJ didn't like getting nutted by Takam so that will play on his mind and keep him focused on moving and using his reach. Can see AJ knocking him out in spectacular style. 

Don't like to disagree with my friend from Falkirk but I think Povetkin is an opponent that will suit AJ. He'll know what to expect and I don't think he'll have to do anything too fancy to counter his threat. AJ frequently got caught a bit flat footed in his last two fights but neither guy had the power to take advantage. Povetkin will get down low and come right at him so  AJ didn't like getting nutted by Takam so that will play on his mind and keep him focused on moving and using his reach. Can see AJ knocking him out in spectacular style. 

Povetkin does nothing flashy. I just think he is fundamentally good enough that he will last long enough and fight patiently enough to get his opening. There is no way he isnt good enough to severely check AJs chin a few times. AJ doesnt move well enough to avoid eating straight 1-2s down the middle from someone as experienced and disciplined as Povetkin.

Do I make AJ favourite.... Yes I do. But it will be a significantly tougher fight than i think many people will think and a Povetkin KO would be no surprise either IMO.

On the plus side, IMO AJ would deserve a huge amount of credit should he beat Povetkin.

7 minutes ago, kiddy said:
9 hours ago, MONKMAN said:
Yigit and Baranchyk confirmed now also, and they’ll face each other in one of the first round fights.

Should Taylor throw his hat in the ring?

All 8 are signed and  being announced this week apparently.  There were rumours the winner of him and Postol would fill the 8th spot. 

That is going to be an absolutely amazing fight.

Speaking of amazing, just been reminded of the many videos of Shannon Briggs following Wlad around the world screaming “Let’s Go Champ”. The one when Wlad is paddle boarding, Briggs is on a boat, Wlad falls off and Briggs nearly ends himself laughing may be the greatest moment in the history of the sport. Wonderful stuff.