Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

That fight was so bad that I fast forwarded from the 9th until the last minute of the 12th. Pathetic. Undercard was enjoyable stuff though.

Delighted the fight has been made. Fully expect a seriously big drama show.

That fight was so bad that I fast forwarded from the 9th until the last minute of the 12th. Pathetic. Undercard was enjoyable stuff though.

Delighted the fight has been made. Fully expect a seriously big drama show.

I never watched from round 8 onwards.
Apparently the Lemeiux fight was good but I fast forwarded it- don't like plodders like him.

The Diaz fight was dross.

Watching the fights back this morning.

Diaz fight was shit.

Mattysse looked fairly decent, and can certainly still punch.

Lemieux fight was good, Reyes took some big punches there and was an absolute mess by the end of the fight.

Canelo went through the motions, in an utterly terrible fight.

Cannot wait for September 16th now, will pay good money for a ticket for the big drama show!

Wee bit surprised to see GGG open as bookies favourite. Canelo has been very impressive in all of his recent fights - albeit the most recent one against a disgraceful walking heavy bag - and remember he's going to dwarf Golovkin on the night too. Would have thought he'd be handily odds-on.

Glad the fight has been made though. Unlike Khan, Smith and JCC Jnr, GGG will hit back and he'll know all about it. Test of chins on the night. 

Diaz Jr was tremendous again.  Couple of new casuals have outed themselves in the posts above. 

Impressive comeback from Matthyse, I wondered what he still had left after a tough career and lengthy layoff after getting his eye socket burst.  Some bad advice from Taylor's team telling to just ride the storm and take him later in the fight.

Edited by The Diabolical One

13 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Canelo finally finding the baws to fight GGG after his last 2 poor performances.

It's the Mexicans, they "don't fcuk around", you know.

14 hours ago, The Diabolical One said:

Diaz Jr was tremendous again.  Couple of new casuals have outed themselves in the posts above. 

He's good but it's tough to see how he will keep Valdez off of him with his complete lack of power. 

I'm surprised the odds for GGG Canelo are so close, sure Canelo has looked more impressive recently but at look at who he's been fighting. Imagine how good GGG would look if he fought Khan, Smith and Chavez Jr. Golovkin wide points decision I'm going with, an easier fight than Jacobs.

1 hour ago, Oleksandr said:

He's good but it's tough to see how he will keep Valdez off of him with his complete lack of power. 

I'm surprised the odds for GGG Canelo are so close, sure Canelo has looked more impressive recently but at look at who he's been fighting. Imagine how good GGG would look if he fought Khan, Smith and Chavez Jr. Golovkin wide points decision I'm going with, an easier fight than Jacobs.

They were talking about it in the build up to the weekend and it'd be an easy fight to make in terms of politics and marketing but even though he's beat Valdez in the amateurs if  I was GBP I'd give him another one fight at least before sending back into the ring with Valdez as a pro.  Power is a bit of an issue but that can be worked upon and he looks like he's still got a bit of physical growing to do as well.

Said it a couple of times I think Alvarez is overated.  Being a ginger Mexican has given him a  novelty aspect and I'm not sure those flashy combos are as powerful/accurate as a lot of people think they are.  He doesn't have any particularly good KO's on his record for all the hype that he gets about his power.  He also suffers against slick fighters, there's no shame in losing to Mayweather but it was a bit of a whitewash and I had him losing the Lara fight and the Trout decision was contentious at least.  Footwork isn't very good and although his stamina looked better at the weekend but he was barely getting punched all fight.

Just watched the fight from Saturday. Probably the dullest fight in recent memory. Crowd was quite right to pish all over it.

As for AJ, reckon he'll get Pulev out the way in the summer. Really don't think he'll meet Wilder/Wlad/Fury until next year. Would've added Parker to that list but I reckon he's dropping the belt to Dillian Whyte in the near future.

2 hours ago, Kryptonite said:

Just watched the fight from Saturday. Probably the dullest fight in recent memory. Crowd was quite right to pish all over it.

As for AJ, reckon he'll get Pulev out the way in the summer. Really don't think he'll meet Wilder/Wlad/Fury until next year. Would've added Parker to that list but I reckon he's dropping the belt to Dillian Whyte in the near future.

He's not. Whyte is pish, he's living off the fact he landed a good shot on Joshua.

10 hours ago, Super_A said:

He's not. Whyte is pish, he's living off the fact he landed a good shot on Joshua.

This has all come off the back of the once again awful Sky commentary for the Parker fight. Parker had a bad night and would probably get beaten by the best in the division but he's not as bad as that performance suggests and has had a couple of good wins in Takam and Ruiz which I don't remember getting mentioned once throughout the fight.  It's not easy to get a bigger man out of there if he simply doesn't want to let his hands leave his body which we saw again that weekend with Alvarez and Chavez Jr. 

People whose only real exposure to the sport is via SS are now seriously talking about Whyte and Chisora as world champions because they had a messy (but entertaining) slugfest where both were gassed out after the first half of the fight and Bellew because he took much longer than he should have to KO a washed up ex champ with one leg. If Parker gets beaten by any of those 3 then he'll have turned out to be the biggest HW hype job in recent memory.  

5 hours ago, The Diabolical One said:

This has all come off the back of the once again awful Sky commentary for the Parker fight. Parker had a bad night and would probably get beaten by the best in the division but he's not as bad as that performance suggests and has had a couple of good wins in Takam and Ruiz which I don't remember getting mentioned once throughout the fight.  It's not easy to get a bigger man out of there if he simply doesn't want to let his hands leave his body which we saw again that weekend with Alvarez and Chavez Jr. 

People whose only real exposure to the sport is via SS are now seriously talking about Whyte and Chisora as world champions because they had a messy (but entertaining) slugfest where both were gassed out after the first half of the fight and Bellew because he took much longer than he should have to KO a washed up ex champ with one leg. If Parker gets beaten by any of those 3 then he'll have turned out to be the biggest HW hype job in recent memory.  

If Parker fights Whyte, Hughie Fury or Bellew outside NZ he'll lose. Bookmark this.

5 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

This, but not scathing enough about just how brutal Whyte is. The talk of him ever being a title holder makes me sick.

Must be one of the few who actually rates him. Do believe his ban a few years ago stalled his progress. 

Joseph Parker is a fraud. The idea that he'd be a threat to AJ, Wilder etc is hilarious.

19 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

If Parker fights Whyte, Hughie Fury or Bellew outside NZ he'll lose. Bookmark this.

Would never bookmark a fellow poster's opinion to point score tbh but hopefully one of those fights will happen.

He needs to get out of NZ ASAP imo. He should relocate to Brooklyn or another US hotspot for good trainers like the Eastern Euros do, his defence is his weakest area and doesn't seem to have improved in the 5 or 6 fights I've seen him in.