West Central Division 2 season 2016/17

Gartcairn Army

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lanark 0 Perthshire 3

We were well beaten today. Could and should have been more. You'd not have known we were pushing for promotion, far less had a chance to win the Division.

1 down after 7 minutes and then Perthshire keeper had 3 wonderful saves from excellent efforts by us during the first half. That said, we were glad to go in only 1 down.

Same pattern 2nd half. Perthshire continued to miss a hatful of chances and then we were awarded a penalty, against the run of play on 65 minutes, which we proceeded to miss. Perthshire put a realistic look on the scoreline by scoring on 75 and 89 minutes which their dominance deserved.

Lanark and Pt Glasgow losing gives Carluke hope. 5 points us behind but 2 games in hand and 6 behind Pt Glasgow, who lost yet again, with 3 games in hand on them.

Despite continuing to be 2nd, Pt Glasgow look least likely to go up. EK have 11 games to play which is a big ask but they can afford to lose two or three and still go up. 

Thankfully Lanark have a cup game next weekend before they concentrate on their final 4 matches but, currently no longer in our own hands.

Lanark 0 Perthshire 3
We were well beaten today. Could and should have been more. You'd not have known we were pushing for promotion, far less had a chance to win the Division.
1 down after 7 minutes and then Perthshire keeper had 3 wonderful saves from excellent efforts by us during the first half. That said, we were glad to go in only 1 down.
Same pattern 2nd half. Perthshire continued to miss a hatful of chances and then we were awarded a penalty, against the run of play on 65 minutes, which we proceeded to miss. Perthshire put a realistic look on the scoreline by scoring on 75 and 89 minutes which their dominance deserved.

Very well summed up thought the penalty save was a game changer in my eyes all the best to Lanark for the rest of the season

14 minutes ago, the shire said:

Very well summed up thought the penalty save was a game changer in my eyes all the best to Lanark for the rest of the season

It certainly was critical. Who knows what could have happened at that point.

Likewise to yourselves. You definitely have the strongest squad in the division and deserve to go up as Champions, IMO.

No Lanark fixture today which is a scunner as I will miss my first game of the season next weekend at Albert whilst still on holiday. Plan B is therefore EK v Pt Glasgow which is a very important fixture for all those teams aiming for promotion.

EK still got half their fixtures still to play and still in at least one cup. They can afford to lose one or two and can still be promoted. This is Pt Glasgow's penultimate fixture which I would say is a must win otherwise a number of teams will be in a position to exceed their points total.

Being selfish, I hope it is a 5-5 draw.

Dunipace 2 - Ashfield 0

Ashfield started well and had the better of the first half but all they had to show for their efforts was a penalty that thundered back off the bar. Despite the protestations of the Pace players from behind the goal it was a clear foul in the box. As the Ashfield winger pointed out the tackle left a hefty visible scuff in the turf.

Second half saw the Pace come onto a game and take the lead when a cross from the left was headed into the net despite the despairing effort of the away keeper. With Pace now on top they doubled their lead when the ball was picked up about 17 yards out and three players were dribbled round before the ball was placed into the net. Nice bit of skill to tie things up. Ashfield cracked a free kick off the bar but that was the end of the scoring.

Good result for a young Pace team.

EK 0 Pt Glasgow 2

Poor game on an uneven surface but a deserved victory based upon the chances created. Away team should have had a stonewall penalty on 15 minutes. Only person in the ground who thought it was not a foul was the ref methinks. EK bench certainly thought it was.

EK's 'combative' number 6 shown a red on 75 minutes for two deserved yellow cards.

Carluke's shock home 1-2 defeat to the bottom team following on from losing to 2nd bottom Ashfield has been good for the other teams going for promotion. Having watched EK three times this season I do not think they are a good team by comparison to others but not only promotion but the title is still very much in their own hands with them still got 30 points to play for. For Perthshire's sake and for fairness to them they should not have to go so many weeks without a game. Their fixture v EK should happen soon. 

What has happened at Newmains Utd?  won their last 2 games, both away from home, especially yesterday at Carluke where a victory is a hard task for any team, but the bottom of the table side?

What has happened at Newmains Utd?  won their last 2 games, both away from home, especially yesterday at Carluke where a victory is a hard task for any team, but the bottom of the table side?

Made a lot of changes to their squad

Made a lot of changes to the squad recently, this season was always about stabilising the club and creating a foundation to build on. Had a chat with the players and those who weren't looking to stay for next year or I wasn't keeping for next year both parties were happy to part, this gave fringe players and new blood a chance to come in and prove themselves and to be fair the attitude and desire has been night and day, still a long way to go but winning games sure feels a lot better than losing them! 

As Chairman at Newmains im absolutely delighted for the lads and probably most pleased for Kevin. The amount of effort he puts in has to be seen to be believed. Along with Ginge and big Mark he leaves no stone unturned to keep improving the squad. It has never been about the results this season. Kevin and his team share my long term vision for the club. In fact we are already working on next season on and off the park. The work effort and cameraderie in our team is second to none and all involved should feel very proud. I know I am. There will be setbacks but overall we are moving in the right direction. A few people questioned me about appointing a manager with no juniors experience but I just got the right vibes from Kevin. Shame the season is coming to an end in some respects but starting with our pre season tournament some people may just look at Newmains in a new light come next season. I am myself fairly new to the juniors but the networking ,advice and goodwill generated from our peers at every club I have spoken with in the past 3 seasons is second to none. Roll on next season

As Chairman at Newmains im absolutely delighted for the lads and probably most pleased for Kevin. The amount of effort he puts in has to be seen to be believed. Along with Ginge and big Mark he leaves no stone unturned to keep improving the squad. It has never been about the results this season. Kevin and his team share my long term vision for the club. In fact we are already working on next season on and off the park. The work effort and cameraderie in our team is second to none and all involved should feel very proud. I know I am. There will be setbacks but overall we are moving in the right direction. A few people questioned me about appointing a manager with no juniors experience but I just got the right vibes from Kevin. Shame the season is coming to an end in some respects but starting with our pre season tournament some people may just look at Newmains in a new light come next season. I am myself fairly new to the juniors but the networking ,advice and goodwill generated from our peers at every club I have spoken with in the past 3 seasons is second to none. Roll on next season

Superb , take my hat off to you lads working hard to better your club , keep up the good work .

Archived