Ayr United, What now 2016/17

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saturday should at least be mildly interesting now. Some trialists up front (hopefully better than last years) A new central defensive partnership and the chance to see how much weight Cairney has lost, and if he plays deep or behind the striker.

Better tell Mike at the Ayrshire Post that then.

Preston deal was a bit earlier than this week, obviously just trying to fill up the page. Nade was approached, but there are full time clubs interested so we won't be seeing him here.

Preston deal was a bit earlier than this week, obviously just trying to fill up the page. Nade was approached, but there are full time clubs interested so we won't be seeing him here.

Wait, so you're saying that we offered Preston a deal a while back which he rejected and also just recently offered Nade a contract which he too rejected?

Along with John Sutton who we offered a contract and he rejected after some lovely afternoons at JP McGoverns Tearooms (last part not definately true)

Three striker rejecting us is a bit of a blow if true but two of them aren't too surprising. Hopefully we'll have some trialists on Saturday otherwise it's Forrest up front on his own. Unless Nisbett and/or McKenzie are still with us?

As indicated on the Ayr forum, we could be looking to revert back to 352 for this season or 361. Would make sense with how we have recruited and who we have re-signed and what McCall is still after. For me this is what we are currently looking like:

Fleming

Rose Murphy Meggat

Devlin Boyle

Docherty Adams Cairney

Forrest/Gilmour

New Striker

Really think we are looking decent defensively and another addition of a centre half would complete that. Having cover for both full back areas and centre half is very decent considering we never really had cover for the left side last year. We have 5/6 players for centre mid, Doc, Adams, Cairney, Gilly, Mick and Robbie so I think we are ok there. We shall see what Saturday brings in terms of trialists.

Current squad, guessing regarding McCracken, Nizzy and Sean.

Goalkeepers

Greg Fleming

Lyle Avci (u20)

Defenders

Nicky Devlin

Paddy Boyle

Peter Murphy

Michael Rose

Darryl Meggat

Craig McCracken (u20)

Midfielders

Robbie Crawford
Brian Gilmour
Jamie Adams
Paul Cairney

Ross Docherty

Michael Donald

Mick Wardope (u20)
Craig McGuffie (u20)

Leon Murphy (u20)

Strikers

Alan Forrest 

Sean McKenzie (u20)

Ryan Nisbet (u20)

According to Saint Johnstone fans I see when working in Perth, Sutton was rank rotten for them when he occasionally came off the bench and they reckon not signing him is a blessing. I'm sure Ian McCall will sign a couple of decent strikers.

As indicated on the Ayr forum, we could be looking to revert back to 352 for this season or 361. Would make sense with how we have recruited and who we have re-signed and what McCall is still after. For me this is what we are currently looking like:

Fleming

Rose Murphy Meggat

Devlin Boyle

Docherty Adams Cairney

Forrest/Gilmour

New Striker New Striker

Really think we are looking decent defensively and another addition of a centre half would complete that. Having cover for both full back areas and centre half is very decent considering we never really had cover for the left side last year. We have 5/6 players for centre mid, Doc, Adams, Cairney, Gilly, Mick and Robbie so I think we are ok there. We shall see what Saturday brings in terms of trialists.
I think we would have a decent chance of staying up with 12 players.

On paper 3:5:2 certainly works, will need to see!

Archived