Ayr United, What now 2016/17

Some very different figures there. I suppose it just suggests that nobody really knows unless they are a player in the subject bracket we're discussing, or a friend or family member of said player.*

*Cue someone coming on and saying they're 'x' player's pal/wife/cousin's second cousin and saying that they know for a fact they're on such and such an amount per week.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Get serious folks, if your average attendance is 1500 you ain't paying out a grand a week per player.

Plus buying players plus upkeep of stadium plus police plus pay TAX etc

Which full-time teams are averaging that over a season?

7 hours ago, Joma Boo said:

Don't think it's been quoted but he stated if we go full-time it rules out signing anyone beyond South Glasgow (heading north), and involves significantly reducing the average age of the squad.

I get the impression they are trying to work out if they can do full-time on similar money to what part-time would cost.

This might be attractive to many supporters, getting in the young and hungry types and giving them a chance to prove themselves, whilst paying them peanuts. It fills me with fear though.

We've tried it this year and, so far, it's not worked. We'll probably finish 3rd/4th and have no chance of promotion (we've the worst goals against record in the league!). If it wasn't for the signing of Andy Ryan I geniunely think we'd have been in relegation trouble.

It's hard to say whether our model doesn't work, or whether we have just made a mess of making it work with generally terrible recruitment. The plan was to have a few higher paid players and lots of younger players. However the youth players are just nowhere near good enough. There might be one or two at a club who can step up, but building your squad with these guys would be a disaster.

To me Ayr's market should be the best of the part-timers, they are the biggest part-time club by far so should be able to get the best of them. Once the business side off the park is sorted then maybe start planning for a full-time model. Given the amount the club are losing, to suddenly change to full-time at a couple of weeks notice would seem to be a pretty crazy move.

I think East Fife got relegated that way.

The theory might seem fair enough, but in reality the full-timers don't tend to be good enough and the youngsters are usually just out of their depth.

I've said before I think full-time training is vastly over-estimated in the lower leagues. There are so many more significant variables, in my view.

If that was the case your average championship player would be better off getting a full time job in their local McDonalds

They probably would be financially. But a full-time job at McDonalds or anywhere else doesn't involve about ten hours of work per week and doesn't come with the relative prestige of being a professional footballer. And most full-time players at this level are in their twenties with few commitments so the wage itself is probably fine. Given all those points and the chance that they might go on to earn far more than the average wage by getting a big move in football, it's no real surprise that it remains the preferred career choice for the vast majority of Scottish professional footballers.

Are you all excited about getting to return to Albion Rovers/Stranraer/Airdrie etc next season?

568d6cf5840a101238b2dde8786058cc.jpg

I've got these bad boys ready for next year.

Ye cannae beat it !!

26 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Are you all excited about getting to return to Albion Rovers/Stranraer/Airdrie etc next season?

The away days in league 1 are miles better. Gutted that Peterhead look like they are heading down. 

3 hours ago, RR #1 said:

If that was the case your average championship player would be better off getting a full time job in their local McDonalds

You certainly don't get £350 a week working in McDonalds.  Come on tae f**k :lol:

52 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Not so much Airdrie but away game standing being back on the menu is not too bad at all. 

1 hour ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

We'll get harder games there than we got at Dunfermline this season. 

1 hour ago, yorkshirepud said:

Not as excited as we are about getting rid of the Dunfermline and Morton fudricks from our threads.

Sad to see delusion on such a scale.

Not as excited as we are about getting rid of the Dunfermline and Morton fudricks from our threads.

Clyde fans thought that too; it's certainly worked out well for them.

Archived