Ayr United, What now 2016/17

6 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I find it quite bizarre that at this point of the season we still don't know if we are going to be full time or not. How we meant to prepare for next seasons I.e. New signings when we still don't know.

I said to my mate after the Hibs game that one advantage of automatic relegation is it gives us a couple of weeks head start over the teams involved in the playoffs but it seems we'll be lagging behind as usual. 

Not really sure whether you or I knowing next years status has any impact on the players we are able to sign. Pretty sure those behind the scenes will know exactly what is happening and any chosen targets will be given a heads up also. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Surely he can't just drop that bombshell and then leave it. We need some sort of rough guide to our outgoings .

He has done this many times before coming out with sweeping statements and it's very difficult to judge these without having all the facts. Think back to before about club ownership etc. 

48 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Not really sure whether you or I knowing next years status has any impact on the players we are able to sign. Pretty sure those behind the scenes will know exactly what is happening and any chosen targets will be given a heads up also. 

From the Q & A it sounded like Lachlan didn't even know himself. 

I took from it that despite what he said before this season he is trying to convince the board that FT is the way ahead.

"Full Time has been the discussion for most of the last year and beyond.  I would love to commit to full time football, and Ian is laying out his case for that, but at this time it is not confirmed one way or the other unfortunately."

Does he know/did he mention how much extra it would cost to run a full-time team? It seems like he's just saying things to try and please fans.

Those figures given last night seem very high, especially for a squad that is hardly packed with Championship quality players.

29 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Does he know/did he mention how much extra it would cost to run a full-time team? It seems like he's just saying things to try and please fans.

Those figures given last night seem very high, especially for a squad that is hardly packed with Championship quality players.

Screenshot_20170502-220108.thumb.jpg.23277615f15b014635cf28c7e97e3541.jpg

My understanding is that our players are full time in all but training currently. 

36 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

No doubt those figures will include ALL Staff, not just the Playing Staff.

At the Last AGM, the discussion was that Full Time Football was NOT an Option, given the Annual Accounts.  Wages to Turnover had jumped from being in the 60% range, to being in the 80% range ( which according to PWC is unsustainable )  If that was for Part-Time Wages then Full-Time Football is completely Pie in the Sky. Further.  I'd suggest that Full-Time Football is boarding on negligence.

Looking forward to seeing the Latest Annual Accounts, and seeing how the 'Donations' are accounted for.

I just don't understand how other full time clubs manage it.

Is it all to do with sugar daddys?

Debt?

Sponsorship?

Merchandise sales?

Surely there must be a full time model that would suit our income?

Might not be the best team but surely sustainable and something to build on.

Build up the club / team.

I'm sure that the fans would like to see slow steady progress and have us moving in the right direction than being a persistent yo-yo club?

Don't think it's been quoted but he stated if we go full-time it rules out signing anyone beyond South Glasgow (heading north), and involves significantly reducing the average age of the squad.

I get the impression they are trying to work out if they can do full-time on similar money to what part-time would cost.

This might be attractive to many supporters, getting in the young and hungry types and giving them a chance to prove themselves, whilst paying them peanuts. It fills me with fear though.

In any event, did we not have a weird full-time thing going on the season we nearly went down under Roberts/McCall?

5 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Balatoni and Harkins must be both close to 1k a week I would imagine.

That's what Lachlan means by part time players on full time wages, I think he's having a little dig at players like that, especially Harkins who obviously doesn't do much training outside of the two weekly training sessions. Same with Balatoni who has a part time job. Paying good full time wages then leaving the players to be responsible for their own fitness and training is always going to end up a mixed bag.

If the extra £250k was a gift from LC to get us promoted then fair play to the big man, of if this was to cover some much needed urgent repair to Somerset, then again fair play and thanks to LC.

If however someone has completely cocked up the budget for the year then what is going on as £250k is the guts of an extra 1000 punters through the door at each home league game. And again what was it spent on, admittedly we signed good League 1 players that season, Docherty, Trouten, Fleming, Caldwell, Boyle etc, but its not like we had a huge squad so etiher we payed over the odds to get them, or all the £250k was paid to Stevenson for his 4 month cameo!

I also get LC's dig at the players, obviously feels many are on a full time wage, but only doing 2 nights training a week. By the tone of it, McCall is only going to get this season to sort things given a few of the statements made

There must be a huge disparity in wages between some players which must have an effect on the squad. If Harkins is on a grand a week, and seeing his effort and fitness levels this season, then there's probably another player who's on 100 quid a week max who puts in twice as much effort, that must piss some of them off.

If the club is going to stay part time then pay actual part time wages, if they're going full time then try to get a model that pays a decent wage, maybe not by footballing standards, but enough to live well on. If it's 100 or 140k they get for going down then you could split that between 4 or 5 young players and that takes care for nearly half a team.

3 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I find it quite bizarre that at this point of the season we still don't know if we are going to be full time or not. How we meant to prepare for next seasons I.e. New signings when we still don't know.

I said to my mate after the Hibs game that one advantage of automatic relegation is it gives us a couple of weeks head start over the teams involved in the playoffs but it seems we'll be lagging behind as usual. 

I genuinely don't think that's a decision that could be taken until relegation is confirmed. I don't imagine it would be more than a week or two thereafter before the decision was confirmed.

14 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Are you suggesting he should've sacked Reid after he got us promoted?

You've not really thought this wee dig through chief.

A credible football club would have sacked Reid for being relegated and aimed for a better manager who could rebuild a squad, win promotion and then sustain the club at a higher level (see Duffy, Jim, 2014-date). Parading the fact that he showed loyalty to a manager who simply yo-yoed the club back to where you came from is the mark of a chairman with absolutely no ambition. 

26 minutes ago, virginton said:

A credible football club would have sacked Reid for being relegated and aimed for a better manager who could rebuild a squad, win promotion and then sustain the club at a higher level (see Duffy, Jim, 2014-date). Parading the fact that he showed loyalty to a manager who simply yo-yoed the club back to where you came from is the mark of a chairman with absolutely no ambition.

I personally believe that giving Reid the chance to take the team back up was far more justified than it would be if we gave McCall the same chance. I don't recall any team that Brian Reid fielded playing in such a woeful fashion as McCall is producing at the moment.

We've had almost 3 seasons under McCall, and have played brutal football for the vast majority of this period, including last season where we robbed Stranraer in a way that hasn't been seen since Cairnryan nicked their ferry. I fear that, while Cameron may have good intentions by going against the 'sacking culture' that exists nowadays, you are right. McCall has done nothing to justify the opportunity and to me it seems like the easy option.

Ayr fans just don't seem to be able to grasp the reality that all clubs at our level are, to some extent, subsidised by their owners.  That subsidy varies depending on the wealth and will of the owners as well as short term factors such as cup runs and transfer fees.  Historically, the situation was skewed by certain teams like Livingston also funding success by running up unsustainable levels of debt.  Other clubs are no more self sufficient than we are.  

Screenshot_20170502-220108.thumb.jpg.23277615f15b014635cf28c7e97e3541.jpg
My understanding is that our players are full time in all but training currently. 

Getting paid full-time money to train twice a week sounds quality. I'm surprised that hasn't attracted a few more players to be honest.

Ayr fans just don't seem to be able to grasp the reality that all clubs at our level are, to some extent, subsidised by their owners.  

Dunfermline aren't, neither are Qots as far as I'm aware.

Archived