Ayr United, What now 2016/17

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ayr need to probably win at least 2 of the last 3 games to get off bottom. Can't see it.

Lachlan runs the club like a league 1 club so suppose that's where we belong.

Merry Easter

[emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]

13 hours ago, Estragon said:

Just had a wee chuckle to myself at the vaguest memory of some Ayr supporter feeling that his deceasedcat was an omen for Falkirk beating us in the playoff. 

Here we are, just under a year later, and we're startingto improve again and looking set for a 25th consecutive season in the top division - while Ayr have been all but relegated from an uncharacteristically poor first division. 

Shame. 

I take it you didn't see that horrific spectacle on Friday night at Rugby park ? If that's deemed to be "success" then give me failure any day of the week................

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

I take it you didn't see that horrific spectacle on Friday night at Rugby park ? If that's deemed to be "success" then give me failure any day of the week................

You're in quite a weak bargaining position given your team's penchant for failure without exchange. Or are you suggesting that United are a club that prioritises "The Brand" over results?

I don't condone the idiots bringing in smoke bombs or flairs, however the threatening tone of the press release from the club is exactly what's wrong with the whole of Scottish football at the moment. Supporters are treated like potential criminals and second class citizens. Does this happen in the likes of Germany ? DOES IT HELL.

You'll struggle to get into any game in Germany without being searched at least once. Never seen any German fan on the verge of tears about it either.

20 minutes ago, Estragon said:

You're in quite a weak bargaining position given your team's penchant for failure without exchange. Or are you suggesting that United are a club that prioritises "The Brand" over results?

Bargaining position ? What ?? Relatively speaking every club is a failure in Scotland outwith Celtic at the moment. The difference is that I no longer blindly follow and just accept it. Ayr are my team and always will be, however I won't pretend that our current situation is great or that we're providing any sort of value for money or entertainment for our fans. If you want to bury your head in the sand and pretend that a day out at Rugby park is a fantastic experience, then please feel free to remain totally and completely deluded.

6 minutes ago, Tam_O_Shanter said:

You'll struggle to get into any game in Germany without being searched at least once. Never seen any German fan on the verge of tears about it either.

I'm not "on the verge of tears", however as a paying customer I fully expect to be treated with respect and not have Police and stewards treating me as a potential criminal. I've personally had problems at various away grounds and quite frankly I find it unacceptable to be paying £18+ for the privilege of being intimidated by cretinous stewards and half witted coppers.

A quick example was the main stand at Cappielow where a steward stood right in front of me whereby stopping me seeing the match, when I stood up to see past him, he ordered me to sit down, when I refused to do so unless he moved, he decided to call in the Police, they then started with the standard "are you refusing sir" crap, honestly that's not the way I want to be spending a Saturday afternoon and paying for the privilege of doing so................

I'm not "on the verge of tears", however as a paying customer I fully expect to be treated with respect and not have Police and stewards treating me as a potential criminal. I've personally had problems at various away grounds and quite frankly I find it unacceptable to be paying £18+ for the privilege of being intimidated by cretinous stewards and half witted coppers.
A quick example was the main stand at Cappielow where a steward stood right in front of me whereby stopping me seeing the match, when I stood up to see past him, he ordered me to sit down, when I refused to do so unless he moved, he decided to call in the Police, they then started with the standard "are you refusing sir" crap, honestly that's not the way I want to be spending a Saturday afternoon and paying for the privilege of doing so................

Sounds like you deserved to be thrown out with that attitude and description of people doing their jobs.

Could you no have just tapped him on the shoulder and asked him if he could move.

I've had to do it before and it's no a big deal.

O

3 hours ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Could you no have just tapped him on the shoulder and asked him if he could move.

I've had to do it before and it's no a big deal.

Of course I did and he MADE it a big deal, unfortunately in today's world nobody listens to reason and the attitude of the majority of Police and Stewards appears to be that football fans are scum.

On the Somerset road forum someone is saying, with `inside knowledge`, that the club is going full time next season regardless of what league we're in (League 1 obvs).

Is that the same person with "inside info" who saw Goodwillies car outside Somerset.

7 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

On the Somerset road forum someone is saying, with `inside knowledge`, that the club is going full time next season regardless of what league we're in (League 1 obvs).

I have heard that too...

9 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Is that the same person with "inside info" who saw Goodwillies car outside Somerset.

Apparently this person also said he saw one of the players score a goal in a training session last week, so he must be full of it.

9 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I have heard that too...

Its the direction i [McCall] want the club to move in.  

He's hinted this many times over the season. If true and FT in League One then im absolutely on board with relegation.  Young guys in FT training for a season (or two) before stepping up to the established full time teams, we will be a year behind Airdrie though so instant success with it shouldn't be completely expected.   

Funnily enough I also heard the going FT rumour last night from someone who was in Hospitality yesterday. He wouldn't reveal his source but said it was very reliable. He also said Devlin would remain at the club due to this which again I can't see happening.

If we do indeed go FT then I hope it's not using the Airdrie model of signing young jobbers that aren't good enough for the premiership as it hasn't exactly worked out for them. They actually lost a couple of key players due to FT football not suiting them. Would FT Football suit the likes of Doc, Meggatt, Cairney etc? I know they obviously in the past have been FT but does that still suit them? I remain unconvinced by it and you'd think if it was the clubs intention to go FT then they would of announced it by now. 

Funnily enough I also heard the going FT rumour last night from someone who was in Hospitality yesterday. He wouldn't reveal his source but said it was very reliable. He also said Devlin would remain at the club due to this which again I can't see happening.

If we do indeed go FT then I hope it's not using the Airdrie model of signing young jobbers that aren't good enough for the premiership as it hasn't exactly worked out for them. They actually lost a couple of key players due to FT football not suiting them. Would FT Football suit the likes of Doc, Meggatt, Cairney etc? I know they obviously in the past have been FT but does that still suit them? I remain unconvinced by it and you'd think if it was the clubs intention to go FT then they would of announced it by now. 

IF it's true and we do it correctly I would be delighted.

Devlin would go regardless I'm sure, but if we could get a base of Meggatt, Boyle, Docherty and Cairney (assuming league one) next season that would be excellent. We might even manage to get Harkins fitter. Add an experienced striker to this (possibly Moffat if released) and our better youth prospects could form the basis for the rest.

Rose, Crawford, Forrest and McGuffie should all be top end players in league one.

Archived