Ayr United, What now 2016/17

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The last census would suggest they are very similar in population.

46900 v 32900 in 2011. 

Ayr is almost 50% larger, just highlights how pathetically bad our club have done over the last few decades.

46900 v 32900 in 2011.

Ayr is almost 50% larger, just highlights how pathetically bad our club have done over the last few decades.

I'd read different figures to that, not in a position to dispute though. The standing of QOTS is a realistic target for Ayr, nothing disputes that. Ownership, closer proximity to Glasgow, many factors i'd imagine.

I'd read different figures to that, not in a position to dispute though. The standing of QOTS is a realistic target for Ayr, nothing disputes that. Ownership, closer proximity to Glasgow, many factors i'd imagine.

Like QOTS and the rest of the Championship we should be aiming for the top league at some point. Killie, Motherwell, St Johnstone, Inverness, Hamilton and Ross County have nothing special that gives them more right to be up in the Premier.

Like QOTS and the rest of the Championship we should be aiming for the top league at some point. Killie, Motherwell, St Johnstone, Inverness, Hamilton and Ross County have nothing special that gives them more right to be up in the Premier.

Nothing special, but at the same time something that Ayr clearly don't have as they have established themselves at a level Ayr haven't. Ayr have that potential but until changes are made, whether it be at boardroom level, standing in their community, greater investment etc etc, then it's unlikely to happen.

Agreed. None of those teams are 'bigger' than Ayr United. It's about ambition and action.

I think they (QOTS) took more to the scottish cup final than we took to the league cup final.

In fact they took more to the semi of that same tournament than we took against Killie in our 2012 semi. So aye they seem to have a bigger scope for crowds.

That was down to allocation rather than demand. In the season we made the LC semi-final our average home gate was a poor 2,476. The year QoS made it to the SC final, their average home gate was 1,965. There were 2,000 more attending our final.The semi final QoS played against Aberdeen had a total attendance of 24,008, so I think your claim there is wide of the mark Derek.

On the population difference discussed in this thread, the NRS 2102 estimates put Ayr at 47,190 and Dumfries at 33,280. If you include Prestwick with Ayr it's 62,870, if you include Locharbriggs with Dumfries it's 38,900.

In the 60's when Ayr were struggling (just a bit before my time) crowds went down to just above 1,000 and then Ally came along and with his style of football and the crowds went back up to 6,7,8000 averages. That's the history and pattern of Ayr Utd, good attacking football brings the fans in, struggling or non-entertaining football doesn't. The point us older fans are trying to make is that we need a sustained level of relative success for the club to prosper as can be seen for most provincial clubs including the Dundee clubs.

Spot on as nowadays it's all about choice. The Stranraer game there was something at stake so the fans turned out. Likewise I'm sure the same would apply if we were playing Killie or some other meaningful game. As for run of the mill stuff why would people pay a large amount of money and travel when there is probably a more entertaining match on tv.

But ,are you all that bothered about who wins the entertaining games?

Gutted Graham is off, however you wouldn't want to keep both him and Murphy.  Would be surprised to see Murphy go now.

Graham looked a better player tbh.

Gutted Graham is off, however you wouldn't want to keep both him and Murphy.  Would be surprised to see Murphy go now.

Graham looked a better player tbh.

I think prices don't help with attendance. £15 for a League 1 game is far too much IMO. Hopefully next year with it being £17 to see the likes of Hibs, Dundee United, Falkirk etc, it will get a few more folk in to see "bigger teams"

£15 for a Div 1 game is gross over-pricing.

Ayrmad quite clearly channelling the spirit of Supras here with his ridiculous notion that the population of a town/area should be a perfect indicator of the team's stature in football.

Total brain-donor material.

Ayrmad quite clearly channelling the spirit of Supras here with his ridiculous notion that the population of a town/area should be a perfect indicator of the team's stature in football.

I agree with Ayr Mad,it's the best way to measure potential and reasonable expectation. It works for cinemas, high street retailers and other commercial enterprises.

The late, great Bob Crampsey referred to us as the biggest under achievers in Scottish football given the population centre of the club. He won the Brain of Britain and was a quarter finalist on Mastermind,

The supras stuff is coming from you chief: ridiculing someone for a perfectly legitimate view.

There are a lot of families out there that we could be doing more with. There's nothing easy about it but we shouldn't just be settling so readily.

Drinking and betting at the ground will double the crowd overnight.

Decent food will add tens.

Attacking football will sustain it.

After the Scottish Cup there is no way drinking will be allowed in a football ground. TBH the decision is probably justified as a lot of people with a good amount of alcohol in them can be a complete and utter fud.

As long as the pies don't make you sick afterwards I'm not fussy. Not found one yet.

Next season we'll be a part time team in a division that will be more competitive than the Premiership and we are favourites to finish bottom of the pile. Let's focus on not conceding goals and then we'll try scoring them.

I'll take brain donor material over losers who think QOTS, Raith,Ross County etc are out of our reach, Leicester should just have stopped at 40 points, greedy overachieving forgot their place bunch of barstewards that they are.

Davinia moved him into mid for the second half of the play off final at Somerset to try and stop PC running the games as he had done for 135 minutes,surprised he took that long to notice what was happening.

My apologies to the wee man he was watching the game,great signing for you guys keep him fit and you have got a player,by the way when do we lose you,bursting to have a go at Livi.

Archived