Ayr United, What now 2016/17

That's the point. The crowds are much bigger and there's a far larger catchment area, yet we're struggling to even get to the same level as Dumbarton.

I'll never accept that the only team from a town the size of Ayr can never progress beyond part-time status and being second tier cannon fodder. What an utterly depressing lack of ambition that would be.

We have a huge catchment area that includes part of Argyle and Bute and all of West Dunbartonshire. We're the only professional football club for miles since Clydebanks demise. Unfortunately for us the people around here are all Rangers or Celtic supporters.

As for 'much bigger' that simply isn't true. They are bigger of course, but that figure is also skewed slightly by 2 games having reduced entry prices, being able to accommodate a bucket load more away fans.

It just seems like a lot of Ayr fans are living in the past in terms of the stature of their club in the modern game.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

We have a huge catchment area that includes part of Argyle and Bute and all of West Dunbartonshire. We're the only professional football club for miles since Clydebanks demise. Unfortunately for us the people around here are all Rangers or Celtic supporters.

As for 'much bigger' that simply isn't true. They are bigger of course, but that figure is also skewed slightly by 2 games having reduced entry prices, being able to accommodate a bucket load more away fans.

It just seems like a lot of Ayr fans are living in the past in terms of the stature of their club in the modern game.

Realistically, how many people are going to travel from the far end of Argyl and Bute to Dumbarton every second week?

Well, it is true. They're double the size, around 1950 compared to 1050. From the reduced entry games only the Dunfermline game sticks out as an anomaly, as the Morton game at the weekend got a really poor crowd despite the fiver entry. Remove the Dunfermline game from it and Ayr's average only drops by 100.

How many away fans does Dumbarton accommodate? Just under 1,000? I think we've had one away support just about exceeding that all season.

5 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Realistically, how many people are going to travel from the far end of Argyl and Bute to Dumbarton every second week?

We have folk travelling from Campbeltown to watch us every second week.  There aren't many of them but the fact remains that we are the closest senior league team for folk in these areas.  Our away end can hold up to 900 if we need it to, but it's usually only open to 750.

23 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

We have folk travelling from Campbeltown to watch us every second week.  There aren't many of them but the fact remains that we are the closest senior league team for folk in these areas.  Our away end can hold up to 900 if we need it to, but it's usually only open to 750.

Was this because of young McCallum?

My Grandpa was a big Dumbarton fan, lived in Lochgilphead (a good hour and a half car journey) for most his days and still got down to Boghead whenever possible.

There's a bit more interest in Dumbarton in this area now due to them taking on a lot of younger players from Argyll so people tend to be keen to see how they get on.

I try and get down to Ayr a few times a season but it's just impossible to do on a regular basis due to cost/travel etc.

5 minutes ago, List_of_Jericho said:

Was this because of young McCallum?

My Grandpa was a big Dumbarton fan, lived in Lochgilphead (a good hour and a half car journey) for most his days and still got down to Boghead whenever possible.

There's a bit more interest in Dumbarton in this area now due to them taking on a lot of younger players from Argyll so people tend to be keen to see how they get on.

I try and get down to Ayr a few times a season but it's just impossible to do on a regular basis due to cost/travel etc.

No, the group I know from Campbeltown have been lifelong Sons fans. We do get a good number of fans coming from Argyll but the potential is much larger than what we're currently getting. We really should be scooping up the young talent from that area, glad to hear we're doing that now.

Dumbarton have strengthened in this window and are the only other part time team, hence the reason I was using you as the example. Ayr does have a bigger support and also a larger catchment area so all in all we should at least be matching your achievements.

My main gripe is with the direction our club is heading, ie we don't appear to be showing any ambition. The transfer window "slams shut" tomorrow night and we appear no closer to bringing anyone in. Not only have we so far failed to add anyone, we've actually lost 3 players so all in all this transfer window has been a total shambles. I could accept the lack of signings if we were getting the results, however we can't score goals, we have a dreadful home record and the bottom line is that we have no strikers other than a boy on loan from Motherwell who's just back from a long term injury.

I'm sorry, but this is just unacceptable.

Yes, much better. Football was also far more exciting, you could still tackle, players would still try to beat people using skill and pace and you would even see shots at goal in a game. None of this tippy tappy let's all pretend we're Barcelona crap. 

Let's face it, modern football at virtually all levels is utter dross and the players are pretty poor. I think it speaks volumes that Kenny Miller is currently one of the best players in Scotland and the likes of Michael Carrick & Jermain Defoe are being touted as among the best performing players in the English Premiership.........

20 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Was thinking .....the season 97/98 last day at partick where we relegated them do u think we were better then than we are now .....wehad some great players ...djaffo ,ferguson ...

Personally I think we have a better team now than back in 1998. However, the team a couple of seasons later was far better than what we have now.

1 hour ago, eez-eh said:

Well, it is true. They're double the size, around 1950 compared to 1050. From the reduced entry games only the Dunfermline game sticks out as an anomaly, as the Morton game at the weekend got a really poor crowd despite the fiver entry. Remove the Dunfermline game from it and Ayr's average only drops by 100.

How many away fans does Dumbarton accommodate? Just under 1,000? I think we've had one away support just about exceeding that all season.

I travel from Lochgilphead every 2nd week to watch st.mirren, I know plenty of folk from Lochgilphead and Campbeltown that travel to watch Dumbarton when they are at home.

Aye are a bigger club than Dumbarton. Aye is much bigger than Dumbarton, South Ayrshire is bigger than West Dunbartonshire, Ayrshire more populated than Dunbartonshire etc etc.

Dumbarton's level is Alloa, East Fife etc. They are well punching at the minute.

Dumbarton fans travelling from the nearby metropolis of Campbeltown. :lol: #massive

Aye are a bigger club than Dumbarton. Ayr is much bigger than Dumbarton, South Ayrshire is bigger than West Dunbartonshire, Ayrshire more populated than Dunbartonshire etc etc.

Dumbarton's level is Alloa, East Fife etc. They are well punching at the minute.

Dumbarton fans travelling from the nearby metropolis of Campbeltown. :lol: #massive

25 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Personally I think we have a better team now than back in 1998. However, the team a couple of seasons later was far better than what we have now.

Better or worse doesn't matter,I don't think this team could win a last chance must win if their life depended on it.

Far too many of our weaker-minded players have reverted to type this season IMHO.

9 minutes ago, Snakebite said:

Aye are a bigger club than Dumbarton. Ayr is much bigger than Dumbarton, South Ayrshire is bigger than West Dunbartonshire, Ayrshire more populated than Dunbartonshire etc etc.

It's actually easier to get to Ayr from Campbeltown - a short ferry to Ardrossan and you're almost there. Yet the residents ignore that fact and drive 2-3 hours to watch Scotland's premier part-time team instead.

Don't think anyone claimed we were a massive club due to the odd person travelling from Campbeltown to watch us though, quite the opposite.

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Not quite true: they were a nothing club in the past as well. 

gallery-1471256782-clarkson-being-a-smug-twat.gif

Archived