Ayr United, What now 2016/17

8 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I rarely ever read match threads when we play Morton or Dunfermline due to the high level of complete pains in the arse that post on them......any chance our club specific one could not be wasted also?

thanks in advance.

It's an open forum, fans of other clubs can comment whenever they like. I'll leave you to it though.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

So did I for most of the past year tbqh.

For some reason things have changed since the Bonnyrigg game. In fact it's the best thing that has happened to us under Aitken. That night, along with the rest of the season, was brutal. We humped long balls forward, sat back and rarely looked like a team (the 0-3 Alan Forrest game was basically us summed up for the first four months of the season). I was fed up with Aitken and wanted him punted ASAP.

Since then - and helped by bringing in the Prince, Carswell and Vaughan this month - there's been a massive change. QOTS aside we've played our best football since the Ian Murray and Jack Ross days. Andy Stirling is the best example of that. He has gone from a meh winger who physically couldn't hit a cross correctly, to a wonderful player to watch with direct, quick running and a decent final ball. I can't remember the last player we had who was as exciting to watch as he has been in the past few weeks. As well as that we're now playing football that suits guys like Stanton who is showing the sort of form we hoped we'd see from him.

We'll tail off again, and Ayr will put together a decent run, of that I have no doubts. As I said way back at the start of the season, it's the way this league works for clubs like ours. Dry 3 months, excellent month, dry 3 months. In the end relegation will come down to who had the best wee run.

I like your optimism for us.  Certainly can't see a good run coming our way anytime soon. 

Back on topic. I think the next few days are crucial. McCall has freed up space in the squad, and will know we need to get players in. Trust me, just because we're not hearing anything doesn't mean that they're not working at something.

I haven't saw a lot of games this season (I don't live in this country) but I can see very obvious gaps that we need to fill.

We have nothing up front. Moore is like a new signing, however we need more in that position. I believe we have enough in defence to get us through, but midfield is an issue. We have a wealth of midfielders, but hardly a winger in the bunch. And please don't shoot me, I haven't saw enough of us to make an in-depth comment, but the quality isn't there. Out of our midfield, Docherty is the stand out. May not be as flashy as some, but a hard working core to the team. Harkins is excellent, but tends to do too much. If we had an out and out striker, maybe he would stop trying to take on the whole team and release the ball quicker. I rate McGuffie highly, as with Forrest, although he may have lost a little confidence.

More importantly, our focus in training should be all on crosses and set pieces. We have been terrible in that department. Almost every goal I've saw is concede this season has came from a cross or a set piece.

So, assuming anyone we want to sign would need to be released from their contract before the deadline shuts to be able to sign them? 
Other than loans obv. 

Yeah I think so

We can still sign free agents outside the window though. At least I think we can.

Looking through the Premiership squads at players that haven’t played much this season you either have players who are: bench warmers, out of our budget, injury prone or untested at this level.

Unfortunately we are now more or less shopping in the last bracket and from the list below probably only one or two of those players would be realistic targets.

Aberdeen: Peter Pawlett, Miles Storey, Scott Wright

Celtic: Calvin Miller, Nadir Ciftci, Liam Henderson, Gary Mackay-Steven, Jack Aitchison

Dundee: Yordi Teijsse

Hearts: Conor Sammon

Inverness: Alisdair Sutherland

Motherwell: Jacob Blyth, Ross McLean

Partick Thistle: Declan McDaid

Ross County: Greg Morrison

Archived