Ayr United, What now 2016/17

Madness is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different result each time.

C'mon Lachlan and Ian. Please. Don't let us all down with this. We have been let down too many times before that this one could really really sting.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Madness is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting a different result each time.

C'mon Lachlan and Ian. Please. Don't let us all down with this. We have been let down too many times before that this one could really really sting.

Do you think they're sitting reading this, unsure about whether to pick up the phone or make an approach? They have a clear set of financial parameters and will be trying desperately to sign an acceptable level of player.

The club has to be run on a sound basis. The targets are just choosing better options (as they see it). Much of this will come down to money.

Itzdrk is completely right, unless we get 3 or 4 players in then we are going down without a whimper. I highly doubt we will get these 3 or 4 players in considering we have so far failed to sign anyone. 

He's right because we're 'definitely' going down if we don't get a few in? Why bother with the games then? You and itzdrk have decided.

7 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

He's right because we're 'definitely' going down if we don't get a few in? Why bother with the games then? You and itzdrk have decided.

There is a high, high chance we will go down if we don't sign anyone. That better? 

15 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I will still go to every game regardless.   I support Ayr not Ayr winning. 

Saturday 22 October was our last victory in the league, 11 games ago, where do you see this ending? 

I will still go to every game regardless.   I support Ayr not Ayr winning. 
Saturday 22 October was our last victory in the league, 11 games ago, where do you see this ending? 

I don't know where it ends. None of us do, and that's what's beautiful about it.

I desperately hope we strengthen. Everyone associated with the club can see it's needed, and I'm pretty certain no-one knows it more than the manager.

But what will be will be. He'll do his best to get a few in, and then we'll fight and scrap for every point. Your post earlier was bereft of hope. And yet nothing is definite at this stage.

Just now, pandarilla said:

I don't know where it ends. None of us do, and that's what's beautiful about it.

I desperately hope we strengthen. Everyone associated with the club can see it's needed, and I'm pretty certain no-one knows it more than the manager.

But what will be will be. He'll do his best to get a few in, and then we'll fight and scrap for every point. Your post earlier was bereft of hope. And yet nothing is definite at this stage.

I just haven't seem them even look like they could have won any of those 11 except Dumbarton and we collapsed there.  But that was also a change from our normal tactics as well.  

I think everyone at the club is doing their best to keep us in the league but ultimately our squad just isnt good enough and there is no money to bring in the 4 players required to get us going.  

4 hours ago, rb123! said:

Craig Reid is training with us, why the feck are we trying to sign a defender, are we going to long-ball it upfront to him or something. 

Or is this a long term signing with a replacement for Devlin in mind. 

Can I just say that I have zero interest in long term signings, it's starting to feel like the Chuckle Brothers are at the helm of our club.

There are too many on here longing to jump on the relegation train. Where did we think Ayr would be about this time of the season? Going straight down (from this position) would be bleak, but 8th/9th was supposed to be the target (was it not?). 

9 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

There were rumours that Ross would be returning to us on loan this season but think he had a falling out with McCall. 

Players falling out with McCall seems to get mentioned a lot on here. Do you think there could possibly be a link between that and the fact you're struggling to find players?

Surely McCall is to blame if there is no budget to bring in more players? Balatoni and Harkins will be on a very healthy wedge, it's up to him to spend it wisely.

Also him complaining about players going to other clubs etc. It's his job to convince them and talk them into signing for Ayr. The part-time thing is nonsense as well, we've managed to bring in 6 decent signings, whilst shipping out the utter tripe like Pettigrew and Stevo.

I normally don't mind McCall but he's coming across as a bit pathetic during this window. Lots of complaints and moans, which realisticly, are his own fault. That interview where he was complaining about a striker joining a team who already had 5 strikers was awful stuff.

I just haven't seem them even look like they could have won any of those 11 except Dumbarton and we collapsed there.  But that was also a change from our normal tactics as well.  
I think everyone at the club is doing their best to keep us in the league but ultimately our squad just isnt good enough and there is no money to bring in the 4 players required to get us going.  

Football turns around ridiculously quick though. Think how bad we looked at the start of the season and then we went on a great wee run. I know balatoni came in at that point but runs like that do happen - and not just with new players.

9 hours ago, itzdrk said:

We don't really need four players. Definitely two but three ideally. 

11 hours ago, blackislekillie said:

Any of your development team ready to step up. I was at the cup game on Sunday and your skipper Ballantyne seemed composed and a commanding presence. Balfour at no. 8 looked good as well, as did Hilton.

Probably Yes, but our manager doesn't seem to want to give youth a chance. IMO that is wrong.  I'd add our No.2 and McKenzie, he certainly did enough to wind up the Killie fans on the day.

Promoting Youth Players would: help our Project Brave coefficient, prepare some Youngsters for next season, and provide a degree of enthusiasm which has been missing recently.

15 hours ago, rb123! said:

Money talks...

It will be full time wages that talk. Our BoD have stated they had no money to give Jack in the transfer window. He started the transfer window with £8k from supporters and had to wheel and deal meaning 8 out and 8 in.

We have now sold McAllister for £225k up front (plus substantial add-ons that we probably will not see for a while) but that money has really only appeared today. Jack apparently now trying to actually buy a player - think the last player we paid a fee was for Dougie Imrie about 4 years ago.

Edit to Add: Forgot we let Naismith go to Ross County as well during the window which probably broght in £30-£50k.

We MUST have money for players though, doing simple arithmetic we've lost players which we were paying and have brought nobody in which is a net gain in my book. We also talk about Craig Moore being our "only" striker, however he isn't even ours. He belongs to Motherwell which means we actually have no / zero / none at all / zilch strikers on our books which is extremely distressing, especially given the fact that the aim of football is to score more goals than your opposition !!

I would also assume that insurance would have covered the salary of Craig Moore whilst he was out injured, in which case we have saved even more money than anticipated. Furthermore, we're now in the last 16 of the Scottish Cup with an excellent chance of progressing to the Quarter finals which brings increased prize money and also the chance of TV money and / or large gate receipts.

Given all of the above I just cannot believe that we are incapable of signing one forward player at the very minimum...........

19 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I would also assume that insurance would have covered the salary of Craig Moore whilst he was out injured, in which case we have saved even more money than anticipated. Furthermore, we're now in the last 16 of the Scottish Cup with an excellent chance of progressing to the Quarter finals which brings increased prize money and also the chance of TV money and / or large gate receipts.

We still paid our part of his wage. 

Everyone saying money talks re: loan players, but is it not the case that a loan player gets the same wage wherever he goes, it can just be the split between the 2 clubs that differs?

For example in the case of Shankland who changed his mind at the last second after coming to Ayr - i had assumed that was just as he felt the option of a full time team at the top end of the league was more appealing, rather than anything wage related

Archived