Ayr United, What now 2016/17

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

What is Robbie Crawford's best position? Like, what does he actually do better than anybody else?

Part of a central midfield three alongside two deeper-lying partners. He was fantastic in that role in the 3-5-2 during McCall's first half season. He's been played out wide or as part of a central two ever since, neither of which play to his strengths.

Of the many central midfielders at the club, he is literally the only one with the necessary physical attributes to consistently get beyond the striker, something we're crying out for. He's also quite an intricate dribbler. Good at weaving his way through tight spaces centrally but doesn't have the flair for taking on a full back in a 1-on-1. Both of those attributes are wasted in his current role out wide, and playing as part of a central two doesn't offer him sufficient freedom to fully exploit either. He's one of a number of players I'd expect to benefit significantly from going back to a 3-5-2.

Interesting point of view. I hadn't considered him in a midfield three. I think the boy has fabulous close control but you can almost predict when he's going to lose the ball by trying to do too much.

Meggatt gone, if so why? Was a quality championship defender for us.

*apologies if you've spoke about this, had a glance & couldn't find it.

He was solid in the league cup games at the start of the season but our defence was torn to bits by Qots and Dundee which lead to McCall signing Balatoni.

Balatoni and Meggatt were a decent pairing but McCall fancied him more at LB so signed Scott McKenna from Aberdeen to allow Meggatt to move over.

But now Meggatt isn't playing at all and isn't injured. Seems that he must have fallen out with McCall which is a shame considering he's one of our best defenders.

23 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Interesting point of view. I hadn't considered him in a midfield three. I think the boy has fabulous close control but you can almost predict when he's going to lose the ball by trying to do too much.

Yeah I agree with you about being able to predict when he'll lose it, and I'd attribute that to low confidence on his part. He seems very unsure of himself at the moment, often taking four or five touches when two would suffice. Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but he seems like he feels under pressure to 'do' something every time he gets the ball, as if he's anxious to prove his worth.

20 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

Meggatt gone, if so why? Was a quality championship defender for us.

*apologies if you've spoke about this, had a glance & couldn't find it.

He is a very clumsy player who is poor at positioning and woeful on the ball.  

Archived