Ayr United, What now 2016/17

What's the point in him leaving next week if there's only 3 games left after that. We're not going to get a replacement in before then and we won't have any coaches left to take over as Scally will probably leave and there's no chance of Harkins taking over.

I doubt we'll win next week. In fact the only winnable game we've got is against Raith. If by sheer luck Raith don't pick up any wins the the last game of the season will be the relegation decider. We've not had much luck this season so it may not happen.

It may be the optimist in me but IMO our fate is far from sealed.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, somerset_lad00 said:

What's the point in him leaving next week if there's only 3 games left after that. We're not going to get a replacement in before then and we won't have any coaches left to take over as Scally will probably leave and there's no chance of Harkins taking over.

I doubt we'll win next week. In fact the only winnable game we've got is against Raith. If by sheer luck Raith don't pick up any wins the the last game of the season will be the relegation decider. We've not had much luck this season so it may not happen.

It may be the optimist in me but IMO our fate is far from sealed.

In all honesty, what is the point of us staying up so we can watch another season of absolutely dire football, I'd far rather we found a manager, team and level where we can desist from playing the negative tippy tappy slow as f**k sideways and backwards then lump it up the park shite that we've been forced to watch for most of the last decade, we're paying 17 quid for a five pound product.

Don't sign a manager unless he believes in playing football that's pleasing on the eye.

I'll mibbee get on to the academy and other assorted pish later on.

In all honesty, what is the point of us staying up so we can watch another season of absolutely dire football, I'd far rather we found a manager, team and level where we can desist from playing the negative tippy tappy slow as f**k sideways and backwards then lump it up the park shite that we've been forced to watch for most of the last decade, we're paying 17 quid for a five pound product.
Don't sign a manager unless he believes in playing football that's pleasing on the eye.

To be honest in a lot of the games I've been to in the last decade I've asked myself what's the point of life.

18 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

So bring back Roberts or what?

To be fair to McCall we did play good football for the majority of last season. That was down to the fact we had good players at that level. This season a team in our position can't afford to try and be playing slick football every week. I'd rather watch an ugly win than a good performance and lose.

The midfield last season was our major strength as Docherty and Adams were immense for the first half of the season. When they got injured our season capitulated as we couldn't play the same type of football we had been playing week in week out.
This season I'd say our midfield has been pretty poor. I think we perhaps overestimated how good Docherty is. He's a good player but has zero speed and is only effective when there are players moving off the ball around him. Gilmour hasn't been able to step up a level. Adams can't play more than 15-20 games a season if that and when he does the game often passes him by. Cairney would be a cracking player if he could shift a bit of weight. He isn't very mobile at the moment and it's probably why Stranraer managed to sign him last season. Crawford has been a bright spark but is still very inconsistent.

I think it's fair to say we've put all our eggs in one basket with Harkins. McCall was probably hoping for the same effect that Dobbie has had with Queens but the difference is that Dobbie isn't overweight and a team in there position is able to field more flair players. We can't. We need players who are going to work there socks off for 90 minutes to get a result. Harkins doesn't do hard work and only plays well when other work for him.

Next season we'll have a new team regardless of what division we're in. If we do happen to go full time which is still a massive doubt I have then it should attract better players and the team should be a lot fitter as a result.

Just now, somerset_lad00 said:

I'm not an expert but I've a feeling, just a feeling that he's being sarcastic

Just an idea

I know Derek' style well.

3 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

To be fair to McCall we did play good football for the majority of last season. That was down to the fact we had good players at that level. This season a team in our position can't afford to try and be playing slick football every week. I'd rather watch an ugly win than a good performance and lose.

The midfield last season was our major strength as Docherty and Adams were immense for the first half of the season. When they got injured our season capitulated as we couldn't play the same type of football we had been playing week in week out.
This season I'd say our midfield has been pretty poor. I think we perhaps overestimated how good Docherty is. He's a good player but has zero speed and is only effective when there are players moving off the ball around him. Gilmour hasn't been able to step up a level. Adams can't play more than 15-20 games a season if that and when he does the game often passes him by. Cairney would be a cracking player if he could shift a bit of weight. He isn't very mobile at the moment and it's probably why Stranraer managed to sign him last season. Crawford has been a bright spark but is still very inconsistent.

I think it's fair to say we've put all our eggs in one basket with Harkins. McCall was probably hoping for the same effect that Dobbie has had with Queens but the difference is that Dobbie isn't overweight and a team in there position is able to field more flair players. We can't. We need players who are going to work there socks off for 90 minutes to get a result. Harkins doesn't do hard work and only plays well when other work for him.

Next season we'll have a new team regardless of what division we're in. If we do happen to go full time which is still a massive doubt I have then it should attract better players and the team should be a lot fitter as a result.

Where's the budget coming from for full time football in League One?

Where's the budget coming from for full time football in League One?

Full time footie ain't an option if we go down.

I was suggesting it in the off chance we manage to escape the mess we're in.

4 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

Ill have some of they swedgers

Ill have some of they swedgers

I've been necking them every Saturday for weeks. Have to take something to get me through the games.

We can't all rely on a bottle of southern comfort before a match.

5 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

I'm no longer countenancing the absurd notion that we stay up, all those that we kept from the Roberts era have reverted to type and we were nearly relegated from League One with them.

2 minutes ago, somerset_lad00 said:

I've been necking them every Saturday for weeks. Have to take something to get me through the games.

We can't all rely on a bottle of southern comfort before a match.

Should hand them out at the turnstyles tbh.  

Im buzzing personally for us to shitfest the next 3 games, Raith to do the same, us relegate them on the last day and lose both legs of the playoff semi.  Its the Ayr way. 

2 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Ayr to win the playoffs in penalty shoot out. McCall to keep faith with same squad for next season, says people will see the best of Harkins when full time.

Look where we were THREE years ago

Should hand them out at the turnstyles tbh.  
Im buzzing personally for us to shitfest the next 3 games, Raith to do the same, us relegate them on the last day and lose both legs of the playoff semi.  Its the Ayr way. 

I can see us losing 1-0 to Dundee Utd but show "fighting spirit" and give fools like me a small amount of belief that we'll stay up. Relegate Raith, beat Brechin by the odd goal over two legs before being royally shafted by Airdrie in the play off final.

If anyone is interesting in the aforementioned swedgers then don't hesitate to ask me before the game. I'll be the bloke in the retro Ayr top behind the goals with an Ayr scarf round my head serenading McCall.

Archived