Ayr United, What now 2016/17

49 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

The Harkins run sums up the problem - a striker attacking the near post would have had a tap in.  Nisbet is standing static as always.

17 minutes ago, 1nickydevlin said:

Harkins went on a mazey got the ball in box no c**t yhere .he missed a frree header .keeper done well to get to adams header

Have to disagree with both, it was the ball from Harkins that was the problem, the ball was played behind Adams who went near post and it was played nowhere near Nisbet who was standing in lots of space 8 yards out, for once we had players going where they should have went and the ball in was shit, inside 18 yards the player with the ball really should be playing it to someone where possible rather than just putting it across.

Watch the Devlin ball in immediately before that run and you'll see our problem in stereo, we've a guy at the front and back and yet Nisbet feels the need to join them when the penalty spot should have been his position IMO, the players in the box don't appear to look where their team mates are and what runs they're making, when it's a disaster at the back players get telt, why did Devlin not get Nisbet telt for running in.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Kitty_Boy said:

Not sure I saw too many to be honest...

We could learn a lot from Dunfermline going forward, however. Quick, one, two-touch stuff and good movement. Our attacking players - Harkins (who has been a massive disappointment over the past two months), Forrest, Nisbet, Cairney etc. have not provided that.

Hopefully Craig Moore and A.N. Other striker can make us more effective going forward but I don't think it's as simple as needing someone to put away chances.

Incidentally, I thought Jamie Adams was atrocious yesterday. Don't think he made a single pass, gave away countless fouls and ultimately didn't do the job he's in the team for. I don't think we can afford to be carrying such an obvious passenger.

Would agree with most of that; particularly about Adams. I would say that Cairney has been the only player looking to drive us on in recent weeks and provide that creativity though. Very difficult when the entire side is so one paced with so few options though. 

Harkins is a quality player but doesn't take a hold of games, well ever. 

Just now, ayrmad said:

Have to disagree with both, it was the ball from Harkins that was the problem, the ball was played behind Adams who went near post and it was played nowhere near Nisbet who was standing in lots of space 8 yards out, for once we had players going where they should have went and the ball in was shit, inside 18 yards the player with the ball really should be playing it to someone where possible rather than just putting it across.

Watch the Devlin ball in immediately before that run and you'll see our problem in stereo, we've a guy at the front and back and yet Nisbet feels the need to join them when the penalty spot should have been his position IMO, the players in the box don't appear to look where their team mates are and what runs they're making, when it's a disaster at the back players get telt, why did Devlin not get Nisbet telt for running in.

You'll never score goals standing still in the penalty box.  i remember an interview with Gary Lineker where he said he basically spent his entire career running across defenders and attacking the near post.  If Nisbet could read the game at all, he would have moved towards goal as Harkins drove into the box.  Instead he stopped in no mans land.  Forrest is totally static as well.  Lost count of the number of times this season Devlin drives into the box and plays the ball right across the face of goal with no one on hand for a tap in.

6 minutes ago, Mgc1910 said:

You'll never score goals standing still in the penalty box.  i remember an interview with Gary Lineker where he said he basically spent his entire career running across defenders and attacking the near post.  If Nisbet could read the game at all, he would have moved towards goal as Harkins drove into the box.  Instead he stopped in no mans land.  Forrest is totally static as well.  Lost count of the number of times this season Devlin drives into the box and plays the ball right across the face of goal with no one on hand for a tap in.

So you think Nisbet's run was correct in the Devlin move?

2 minutes ago, Chimter-boys said:

I see that we are linked with Nicky Devlin as a replacement for injured Callum Paterson. What sort of player is he? Do you think he is good enough to make the step up a level? Much Love Chimter-boys

Check above

I thought the first time I saw a high ball lumped up to a front 2 of Harkins and Forrest was a mistake, that was about 4 months ago and we still do it. Forrest is 5'4" and Harkins, one of the best controllers of a ball in Scotland appears to be terrible in the air. Why for kick-outs from the keeper is Adams not the furthest man up the pitch?

Yesterday we looked the better side, Dunfermline scored, not exactly against the run of play but with their first (kind of) shot on goal, from that point on, they tried to kill the game, players went down, they gave away niggly free-kicks and we didn't cope with it, we didn't have any ideas and from about the half our mark it was clear we weren't going to create a chance let alone score a goal all afternoon. The clearance off the line aside, Dunfermline didn't create much either but they were 2-0 up and never in any danger.

Harkins spent most of the game puffing his cheeks out and shaking his head at those round about him, he looked in the huff, maybe because he was made to play out wide, not the kind of attitude you want from someone when you are trying to avoid getting in to a relegation dog fight, his run aside, he did nothing all game, it wasn't working yesterday and the only option we had on the bench was Donald to center forward. Surely McKenzie could have been brought back in or another younger player.

I see that we are linked with Nicky Devlin as a replacement for injured Callum Paterson. What sort of player is he? Do you think he is good enough to make the step up a level? Much Love Chimter-boys

Very good attacking full back, should be good enough to step up. Not sure if his defensive game is good enough though. He's under contract so if you want him now you would need to offer some cash.

4 minutes ago, Chimter-boys said:

He is very quick while still being good on the ball, decent tackler but is occasionally guilty of being caught out of position. Had a bit of a nightmare start to the season and looked like he wasn't going to make the step up in levels but has been pretty consistent for the last couple of months or so and has been a stand-out performer. 

He's just off sporsound mate. Don't think you'll be able to get it for an hour or so on catch up but his last game was a year ago. He has hamstring issues. He's not made up his mind who he's going for but it's a part time team because he'd need to be broken back in 15 minutes at a time by his reckoning. It all just sounded a bit lacking in confidence although I don't doubt his hunger. A years a long time for a self confessed fit player to be out

4 minutes ago, young buck said:

He's just off sporsound mate. Don't think you'll be able to get it for an hour or so on catch up but his last game was a year ago. He has hamstring issues. He's not made up his mind who he's going for but it's a part time team because he'd need to be broken back in 15 minutes at a time by his reckoning. It all just sounded a bit lacking in confidence although I don't doubt his hunger. A years a long time for a self confessed fit player to be out

Unfortunately that's the likeliest route for us finding a decent striker,if that's what he is, if he's not at any of our training sessions this week then it'll be thanks but no thanks.

1 hour ago, ayrmad said:

Unfortunately that's the likeliest route for us finding a decent striker,if that's what he is, if he's not at any of our training sessions this week then it'll be thanks but no thanks.

If he's going to a part time side then surely to f**k it'll be us. If he hasn't played for a year though we aren't going to see the best of him and Moore until the end of the season. 

29 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

If he's going to a part time side then surely to f**k it'll be us. If he hasn't played for a year though we aren't going to see the best of him and Moore until the end of the season. 

Depends what he's looking for, Moore and him will be under immediate pressure to score for us, their head or leg could be falling off and we'll still be looking for goals as soon as they pull on a jersey.

18 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Depends what he's looking for, Moore and him will be under immediate pressure to score for us, their head or leg could be falling off and we'll still be looking for goals as soon as they pull on a jersey.

Even provide a focal point for the likes of Harkins to play off of will do at first, we've not even had that up top all season. 

Personally, I don't think we need a striker who is a good footballer, they just need to be able to score goals. When Moffat was with us, he wasn't a great player but he knew where the net was. That's all we need.

McCall knows more than anyone that we need a striker and I believe he is trying everything to get one. The injury to Moore has been unfortunate but there's more than enough time for us still to achieve a decent league finish. Staying up would be a massive achievement and I believe our fate will lie in whether we can bring in someone to get the goals we need.

Keep the faith. There's a long way to go.

Archived