Ayr United, What now 2016/17

I remember feeling exactly like you guys are right now when we first came up. The jump between League One and the Championship is, I reckon, the biggest in Scottish football. You go from playing part-time jobbers infront of a couple of hundred people to playing big teams, with household name players in one move. 

It took us until November to get our first win (1-0 versus Cowdenbeath at Central Park with Mark Gilhaney scoring) and we still stayed up, so I wouldn't be too despondent. Players will get found out - I remember thinking Aggy was miles out of his depth at this level - but most of the decent ones will adapt - he went on to score 10 goals that season, all after Christmas. In Harkins you have a match winner, and in Moore (when he returns from injury) you have a striker who would walk into most club's in this division's starting xi. 

Some won't be good enough, but you'll likely have known who they are at the end of last season.

You'll hit a decent run of form at one point in the season, of that I'm sure. McCall is a smart manager and you've got the players to do it. We picked up all our points in bursts last season (great for 4 games, dross for 3 months) and I suspect both our clubs will do the same this season. Who has the more successful (or even longer) burst will be who stays up.

Stevenson has captained us for the past two games, and has been excellent by the way. He looks to be enjoying himself again and he's fit and putting in a power of effort which is a big relief. Everything I had heard about him last season was bad, so I was pretty concerned when we brought him in. Grabbed another assist today as well.

Anyway, I hope you don't find form soon ;) Quite buzzing for a trip to Somerset, it's been too long.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember feeling exactly like you guys are right now when we first came up. The jump between League One and the Championship is, I reckon, the biggest in Scottish football. You go from playing part-time jobbers infront of a couple of hundred people to playing big teams, with household name players in one move. 

It took us until November to get our first win (1-0 versus Cowdenbeath at Central Park with Mark Gilhaney scoring) and we still stayed up, so I wouldn't be too despondent. Players will get found out - I remember thinking Aggy was miles out of his depth at this level - but most of the decent ones will adapt - he went on to score 10 goals that season, all after Christmas. In Harkins you have a match winner, and in Moore (when he returns from injury) you have a striker who would walk into most club's in this division's starting xi. 

Some won't be good enough, but you'll likely have known who they are at the end of last season.

You'll hit a decent run of form at one point in the season, of that I'm sure. McCall is a smart manager and you've got the players to do it. We picked up all our points in bursts last season (great for 4 games, dross for 3 months) and I suspect both our clubs will do the same this season. Who has the more successful (or even longer) burst will be who stays up.

Stevenson has captained us for the past two games, and has been excellent by the way. He looks to be enjoying himself again and he's fit and putting in a power of effort which is a big relief. Everything I had heard about him last season was bad, so I was pretty concerned when we brought him in. Grabbed another assist today as well.

Anyway, I hope you don't find form soon [emoji6] Quite buzzing for a trip to Somerset, it's been too long.

Take a bow, tremendous post!

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

So, to have any chance how many more signings do we realistically need? Boyle was generally comfortable last season, however made a few mistakes. 

Fleming 

Devlin   New Signing  New Signing   Meggatt

New Signing   Adams     Docherty  New Signing

Harkins

.                          Nisbet/Moore

Our starting side is at best three short, preferably four to come in. 

I've had a look about for players that could/would possibly come to Ayr. 

Not saying that they will but it's nice to be a dreamer and hope we can stay in this league. The players are:

Edward Ofere, Omar Diaby (forwards.)

Alex Henshaw, Andrea Mbuyi-Mutumbo (Wingers)

Simon Lappin, Dan Seaborne, Darryl Westlake (Defenders)

I think a forward would help out Thomas and Moore. We undoubtedly need a winger as Mickey Donald can't run past shit. Dan Seaborne could be a great Signing if he actually came to us, Lappin is on last legs but still... Between him and Boyle.

Could also throw in Guy Demel but that's just wishful thinking.

All of these players mentioned are out of contract and probably mega unfit but Mccall is a fitness freak and could probably get them up to speed. 

Please let me know what you think.

35 minutes ago, Andy Walkers love child said:

I've had a look about for players that could/would possibly come to Ayr. 

Not saying that they will but it's nice to be a dreamer and hope we can stay in this league. The players are:

Edward Ofere, Omar Diaby (forwards.)

Alex Henshaw, Andrea Mbuyi-Mutumbo (Wingers)

Simon Lappin, Dan Seaborne, Darryl Westlake (Defenders)

I think a forward would help out Thomas and Moore. We undoubtedly need a winger as Mickey Donald can't run past shit. Dan Seaborne could be a great Signing if he actually came to us, Lappin is on last legs but still... Between him and Boyle.

Could also throw in Guy Demel but that's just wishful thinking.

All of these players mentioned are out of contract and probably mega unfit but Mccall is a fitness freak and could probably get them up to speed. 

Please let me know what you think.

I have no idea about any of them really, other than Lappin who would be a great signing. You would have thought he could get a club at the level above us but then he's still unattached so you never know! The kind of ambition we need to show out wide to support Harkins and Moore/Nisbet.

Anyway, I hope you don't find form soon [emoji6] Quite buzzing for a trip to Somerset, it's been too long.

Bloody hell, that's a brilliant post sir. Can't remember the last time I read one on here. Bravo

6 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Anyway, I hope you don't find form soon ;) Quite buzzing for a trip to Somerset, it's been too long.

Nah, McCall seems to be stuck in believe the hype mode.  Fucked it. 

Under Roberts we got off to a flier every year and then got found out by the start of the second quarter, narrowly avoiding relegation, so the lack of a strong start isn't worrying, we have been beaten by 3/4 of the top 4 currently.

The worrying aspect is, we seem to be doing the same thing we did last year, players out for a week injured that turns into 3 months, midfield and attack being changed every week meaning players filling in out wide and only 2 out of 5 actually playing well in a game. Gilmour and Crawford are rotten out wide, Donald was inconsistent, now it is maybe 1 good game in 10 from him. So the only width we have is from the fullbacks and they are hopefully on a steep learning curve, working out when to sit in and when to push forward.

Signing Harkins was a massive step in the right direction, hopefully things will settle down soon and we start picking up points.

I recall McCall stating at the start of last season that we needed a winger. Of course we never got one (until McCrorie came in and it turned out he was decent there at times) Yet another similarity; hopefully this one isn't repeated as we have no chance of this is the case. We are currently playing players such as Crawford and Forrest wo couldn't get a game for us for large parts of last season. 

We seem to have signed a few too many squad players like O'connel and Thomas who have made zero impact. Will we still have room for decent additions after Harkins?

Seriously found out at the back and very little impact up front. Midfield being found out too........Jeezo, thanks for St Mirren being shit too.

6 minutes ago, Shibuya said:

Probably just trying to help ticket sales but McCall did say he was aiming for higher than 8th place in an AU Media interview.

As he should if he's intent on signing 2 or 3 more that are better than what we've got, if he's meaning as is then we'd be better looking for our next manager now.

Probably just trying to help ticket sales but McCall did say he was aiming for higher than 8th place in an AU Media interview.

And so he should. He has to show some ambition. But the accusation that he somehow thinks we're better than we are due to hype is daft.

2 hours ago, rb123! said:

The problem is we don't have one winger who can compete at this level.

Infact the only winger we've got at the club is Donald, who could barely get into the team last year.

Alex Henshaw and Andrea Mbuyi-Mutumbo are both without a club and have premier league experience.

I can only imagine them sitting about watching t.v all day eating wotsits.

Can't do any harm in asking, this is a part-time club and they could at least join to keep up fitness for another club later on. 

Both are good players, think Henshaw has under 21 caps for England, Or youth caps of some kind. Either player would be MUCH better than playing Crawford or Gilmour in out on the wings.

Again though, it's up to Mccall to hire and fire players. If it were up to me.... Let's just thank f*ck it's not.

After watching the highlights there is just so much wrong defensively it's impossible to know where to start. Utterly hopeless in the full back areas, both Boyle and Devlin helping to sell goals. Central defence pulled all over the place. 

Wide midfielders not tracking back effectively either or ball watching. People ghosting through the middle of the park. 

Archived