Ayr United, What now 2016/17

6 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Good player, would've thought that the centre of midfield is the area you're most covered in though, Doc, Adams, Cairney, Crawford and with Forrest playing best behind the striker it's you're most populated area.

Would've been better using the budget on a cb, striker or winger surely?

Raging Dunfermline never signed him post IMO.

What an outstanding signing by McCall. He's sum boi.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Good player, would've thought that the centre of midfield is the area you're most covered in though, Doc, Adams, Cairney, Crawford and with Forrest playing best behind the striker it's you're most populated area.

Correct. More square pegs in round holes like last season trying to fit everyone in.  

We needed creativity in the forward area and harkins fits that role perfectly.

Now it's all about whether the magician McCall can get his head in the right place. I don't think this signing will end up being meh...brilliant or awful.

Now it's all about whether the magician McCall can get his head in the right place. I don't think this signing will end up being meh...brilliant or awful.

He's done it before. McCall personally oversaw extra fitness sessions for Harkins in Mugdock Park when he was at Thistle. Completely turned him around. There's deep respect between the two of them.

Harkins on his day was still our best player. Those days started becoming further and further apart but he'll absolutely stroll this league. No disrespect intended, and I know he is close with McCall but I'm still surprised he never got another top flight club or at the very least a top end Championship club. Wish him well.

He's done it before. McCall personally oversaw extra fitness sessions for Harkins in Mugdock Park when he was at Thistle. Completely turned him around. There's deep respect between the two of them.

This post made me moist.

Wont Harkins be the 'marquee' signing on the biggest wedge?

Another 2 of a similar quality to Harkins seems fairly unrealistic.

He will have been paid part of the last year of his contract at Dundee and by all accounts will be a coach. There will be a separate part of the budget for that.

He will have been paid part of the last year of his contract at Dundee and by all accounts will be a coach. There will be a separate part of the budget for that.

Still though, for Ayr to sign another 2 players of Harkins quality is highly unlikely/nigh on impossible.

His pay off from Dundee means ziltch in terms of what he's earning at Ayr, but that's not what I'm getting at.

8 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Wont Harkins be the 'marquee' signing on the biggest wedge?

Another 2 of a similar quality to Harkins seems fairly unrealistic.

Hes meaning more of the calibre of Conrad Balatoni, Jordan McMillan etc.

I think its safe to say we are probably going to be sticking with a 4-5-1 for the majority of the season with 3 from Harkins, Cairney, Doc, Adams, Crawford and Gilmour in the middle and 2 on the wing can change with the likes of Forrest, McGuffie, Moore etc when we are at home and using Gilmour, Crawford etc if we are looking to be more defensive.

Or 4 best players (high earners) are probably Harkins, Cairney, Doc and Adams, granted Adams will spend a chuck of the season injured / suspended its still going to be a struggle keeping them all happy.

Although its probably better to be concerned about that the problems we had under Roberts of not having any midfield

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Still though, for Ayr to sign another 2 players of Harkins quality is highly unlikely/nigh on impossible.

His pay off from Dundee means ziltch in terms of what he's earning at Ayr, but that's not what I'm getting at.

Perhaps not of the same quality as Harkins but any half decent wingers/strikers who sign could bring more of an impact to the team

Perhaps not of the same quality as Harkins but any half decent wingers/strikers who sign could bring more of an impact to the team

Surely we have enough strikers no?

I wouldn't say no to a winger but the position seems to have gone right out of fashion.

Archived