Ayr United, What now 2016/17

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With McMillan brought in you could potentially play 3 at the back with Devlin and Boyle as wing backs. At the moment there is no speed in the centre of defence and it was shown yesterday as Murphy and Meggat struggled with the pace of Vaughn and McManus. Hopefully McMillan can bring a bit of pace and it might take a bit of pressure of the other two. Make no mistake Murphy is still a cracking centre half but requires a forward such as Moore to actually keep the ball when he plays it out. Yesterday he was spraying passes out but because Forrest couldn't beat big M'Voto physically the ball was coming straight back and Murphy was out of position. I still don't understand how AU media could praise him yesterday as I thought Forrest was miles ahead of any of our players.

Murphy wasn't even a good centre back at the level below christ.

While McMillan can play centre back he's at his best bombing forward, cracking full back, better than Devlin and he's so far ahead of Boyle it's not fair to compare them.

Murphy has a great footballing brain and his man marking and handling of forwards is one of the best I have seen at Ayr, his positioning yesterday to give an out ball to our midfielders when they were being cut off as quickly by Raith players probably kept the score down, he strolled most of the games last year and will keep plenty of players with big reputations quiet this year. The only downside is, he was done for pace yesterday and we should be set up against that, the midfield giving the ball way left us overexposed. 

Both goals came from the right, Crawford stood off Barr, giving him enough time to float a cross in, Devlin is in no-mans land between Crawford and the guy who out-jumps Meggat. as you will see from the highlights, the second goal made its way from 18 yard box to 18 yard box down the right hand side and Devlin is completely missing, Murphy knows he only has Meggat inside him and I think he tried to take one for the team by lunging in at the far side touch line

4 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Murphy has a great footballing brain and his man marking and handling of forwards is one of the best I have seen at Ayr, his positioning yesterday to give an out ball to our midfielders when they were being cut off as quickly by Raith players probably kept the score down, he strolled most of the games last year and will keep plenty of players with big reputations quiet this year. The only downside is, he was done for pace yesterday and we should be set up against that, the midfield giving the ball way left us overexposed. 

Both goals came from the right, Crawford stood off Barr, giving him enough time to float a cross in, Devlin is in no-mans land between Crawford and the guy who out-jumps Meggat. as you will see from the highlights, the second goal made its way from 18 yard box to 18 yard box down the right hand side and Devlin is completely missing, Murphy knows he only has Meggat inside him and I think he tried to take one for the team by lunging in at the far side touch line

I think in this league Murphy would perhaps work better just sitting infront of the two CB. This would mean he could maybe control that part of the pitch better and use his quality passes a bit higher up the pitch. Doubt McCall would go with that though.

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Am I looking into this too much? The 'yet' at the end concerns me however I am a massive panic merchant. 

image.png

This means that we have got as good a chance as anyone but need to get our finger out(and pennies). 

Also we need to pray that that a big money offer isn't giving to him by another club at the last minute.

Yes and in real life players need a pre season and match fitness and whom ever we're signing now won't have them

Yes but in many cases players are intentionally leaving it until this time before signing. Basic supply and demand.

Do you think McCall was sitting with his finger up his arse and only now thinking 'maybe I should get as few in'?

Yes but in many cases players are intentionally leaving it until this time before signing. Basic supply and demand.

Do you think McCall was sitting with his finger up his arse and only now thinking 'maybe I should get as few in'?

No but I do think who ever he brings in will be about a month behind in fitness and match sharpness. We're a part time team that trains 3 times a week if you're lucky against full time teams. It's no rocket science to see that's no ideal. Or forget all that it's all ok because McCall knows what he's doing and alls OK.

No but I do think who ever he brings in will be about a month behind in fitness and match sharpness. We're a part time team that trains 3 times a week if you're lucky against full time teams. It's no rocket science to see that's no ideal. Or forget all that it's all ok because McCall knows what he's doing and alls OK.

You're right it's not ideal but it's where we are.

We've played one league game (badly) and based on that it's not OK but I do think McCall knows what he's doing.

Don't forget we also qualified unexpectedly for the league cup. We must've done quite well in those games.

Thought we were outplayed by a more talented and better organised Raith team yesterday.  Their attack looked dangerous on the fairly frequent occasions when they got near our goal and they gave our defence a tough time of things for much of the game.  We did get back into the game for a short period in the second half but I never really felt we would get much out of the game.  I did not agree with the AU media man of the match but then it was hard to pick an Ayr player who stood out.  My choice would have been Fleming or Forrest (though he looks too lightweight for this level).  

Hopefully we will play better in the forthcoming games with Moore and Gilmour to come back and maybe a few new signings.  Think we have got our work cut out to step up a few levels though.  Disappointing day yesterday though to be fair, Raith looked like a very decent team.

Wouldn't have said we were outplayed. Granted they were the better team but that stemmed really from controlling the midfield for the majority of the game. They were quicker and sharper than us, but that's no surprise given that there full time.

One criticism I have is that I felt a few of the players stood off there man when they had the ball, specifically Devlin. You can't afford to give a guy like Bobby Barr or even Ross Callahan time on the ball otherwise they're gonna hurt you.

I still feel that had Forrest buried his golden chance or had we been given a penalty the game would have changed. Mind you after watching the highlights Raith had grounds for a penalty as well.

Our best player was Forrest by a country mile. I feel that after a few good cup performance that result may have brought us back to earth and made us remember that us finishing 8th is a very successful season given that on another day Stranraer might have been here and not us. It's gonna be a long and hard season, make no mistake.

1 game played and all you doom merchants are moaning and practically have us relegated!!! Get a grip its one game!!! And it wasn't McCalls choice to stay part time he just went along with it....fact is we ain't got the dough....give it time it's best championship in its history probably need to just get behind team and hope that we can stay up...we need to be positive and get behind team ....

From what I saw on Sat, I reckon you guys will at least be a match for Dumbarton over the course of the season.

I personally dont see any of the full time teams having a bad enough season to be dragged into the mire, but you never know.

Devlin is in no-mans land between Crawford and the guy who out-jumps Meggat. as you will see from the highlights, the second goal made its way from 18 yard box to 18 yard box down the right hand side and Devlin is completely missing

I actually think that Devlins defensive positioning is the weakest point in his game. Frequently loses his man at set pieces and often caught yards away from where he should be.
However some of those times he's trying to cover some disaster that's happened in front of him.

Archived