Ayr United, What now 2016/17

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Callum said, it was 2-0 going on 5 or 6. Although in all fairness to Muirkirk, they defended well throughout without showing much going forward. Dominated the first half but appeared to take the foot off the gas in the second, albeit after making a few subs.

The team was all youths I believe, first time I've watched the 20's in a while. Looked to be some real prospects, in particular the right back (Waite?) and a striker going by the name of Jinky (think Callum said his name was Hilton?). Waite ran the show from right back in a Devlin-esque performance.

Apparently Ayr have promised to play a members of the senior squad against Maybole on Weds, I'd imagine those that don't feature tomorrow.

Only about 6 players last night were involved with the 20s last year. With Nisbet/Woods/McKenzie/Newman/Muir all being released and McCracken/Johnstone/Wardrope/McGuffie all included in the first teams pre season, it's given others a chance to step up. Might see some of the younger first teamers play on Tuesday in Maybole. A lot of players impressed me last night. Waite and Thorburn the full backs linked up well with Caldwell and Murphy the wingers. McCreadie and Faulds the centre mids ran the game. McCreadie playing as a 'quarter back' type of midfielder with Faulds dictating the passing.

According to the daily record were in for Gary Harkins .. No sure if he would take the wage drop to sign but he has played under McCall before

That would be an incredible signing. If you have him and Moore then you could be 7th or 6th. The would get 20 goals or between them.

Harkins would obviously be an outstanding signing, but I can't help but feel it's fairly contrived.

Journo: "Well Ian you signed Paul Cairney who you worked with at Thistle, now Gary Harkins is available would you like to sign him too"?

McCall: "Well obviously I'd love to have Gary, he's a quality player and would be an asset for any team at this level"

*Back page splash*

"AYR IN FOR HARKINS - Boss McCall says he'd love to work with Gary again at Honest Men"

If he could pull it off it would be an outstanding signing. Difference between 9th/10th and midtable obscurity. 

Aye, sadly too many of the full time clubs in the league are still on the hunt for that sort of player so can't see it.

Moore and Forrest still out tonight but hopefully fit for Raith game according to the match preview

Harkins is at a stage like Stevenson where coaching would be an attractive incentive in joining a club which would be where we could be an option for him, however I think he could probably get another full time deal on better money This year and probably next

A good performance by the sounds of things, can't wait to see Murphy's goal as it seems like a screamer.

In any other competition we'd be through but this is a competition where the group stage is just as bonkers as the Euro's group stage, so Hamilton will probably pump Edinburgh City meaning we'll be out. 

After watching the highlights both goals are good quality especially murphys - the strike but also the build up! Dochertys tackle when he gets booked is worth a watch in itself [emoji23] hopefully we've done enough to go through especially having 9 pts which could have been 10/11 not for a last kick of the game goal

Can only imagine it was a pre-arranged performance related thing, if he isn't looking to move and the club isn't looking to sack him then it probably could have been done later in the season.

Having said that, McCall has been a major stabilizing figure at the club, he has made some mistakes at Ayr but is normally quick to acknowledge them, he appears to be a very professional person and has brought a great deal of that to the club. Hopefully he can go a step further than Reid and keep us up and we''ll be extending his deal again this time next year 

Archived