Ayr United, What now 2016/17

Agree with that entirely. It was clear by the end of the season he wasn't a first pick for us when everyone was fit. Aitken obviously knows him well and thinks he can get the best out of him so is prepared to take the gamble.

Agreed.  Aitken has a decent track record for turning players around and given that after tonight he'll have had the team in for 4 pre-season sessions since Saturday I'd say he's going all out to make sure everyone is fit.  A really interesting year ahead for both of our clubs I reckon, I understand some of your fans concerns/frustrations about the lack of signings but there's plenty of players still looking for clubs and a lot of players still to become available on loan.  The longer players go without a club also gives a certain amount of power to clubs, they can become desperate if the original option they were looking for doesn't materialise. McCall isn't daft, I reckon he'll build you a competitive team come the start of the season, I hope he doesn't mind you.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TBH I would have much rather had the majority of the squad in for the start of preseason but its not happened. There will be a lot of players looking for clubs right now who will be wanting to stay full time, but once the season starts in a few weeks will be just looking to get signed up somewhere. TBH if you have a look around there are no clubs with full squads yet so still a while to go and we are in the same boat as everyone else.

I would be more worried if McCall had been complaining about missing out on signing targets, but I haven't heard any of that yet, although apart from Meggatt and Sutton I don't think we have been linked with anyone else yet

I am sure Ayr's offer to Stevo would have included a fitness clause. Dumbarton's may not and it could have been the deciding factor. We heard several times "a fit Stevo" we never really saw that!

A fitness clause?!

A fitness clause?!

M 'Are ye fit Stevo son?'

S 'Aye gaffer'

M 'good, because the clause, remember the clause. If you say no you have to live on the moon, that's the deal'

Well let's face it he was not going to get the contact he would have wanted without proving and improving his fitness. He never quite got there while playing with us. If the use of the word clause confuses or amuses you substitute " on condition you get fit". I doubt many of us would have wanted him back as a 1st choice player using a large chunk of the budget as things were.

Totally agree Gaz, ridiculous the lack of transfer activitiy from us. We have started pre season training yet are still a long way away from even having a semi-competent team in place.

Looks like we will be scrapping the barrel for players who can't get another club. Dreading going into next season at present.[/quote

Unfortunately we don't have the cash or status in the championship to sign up early the sort of player McCall wishes to attract. I suppose the question is whether the best option is signing some of the better players from league one who would be here by now. Alternatively we have to wait for others on the way down who can't get a club and will sign for us at the end. Considering he's done this before and continues to pull decent signings from left field I'm amazed by the fans who are panicking. Who would be a manager as there's always someone having a pop.

Rumour has it that McCall was only willing to allow one of Cairney and Stevo into the side and they had to compete at joust.

John Anderson came in for it.

Martin Campbell was in to watch it but got rushed off to hospital after tearing his ACL sitting down at the event start.

No doubt about it that Stevo has been guaranteed a starting place with us. Entirely possible we've offered more than Ayr as well, I'm not convinced McCall was all that fussed about keeping him.

Ayr offered much more than Dumbarton☺

i love conjecture about lower league fitba players wages, top bantz

most of them don't have 2 pence to rub together, they like to pretend they do but, decent spec Mercedes's on PCP finance n aw that :lol:

The only thing that worries me about our recruitment is that several other sides in the league are still looking for an entire strike force. So who knows who we might end up with

Jordan Preston to start with I'd say

Well at least we have Ryan Donnelly training with us 😂😂😂

I've no idea what the guy does for 11 months of the year but it's nearly guaranteed that every summer some manager will take him on trial hoping to see something like the ability that produced his 1 great season. Inevitably he won't and he'll leave without a deal...again.

I don't believe whatsoever that he's being looked at with a view to signing him, however not exactly a stretch that he's training with us.....

ETA. I' embarrassed at my lack of reading all of the comments. Saw Ronnie's and assumed it to be true 🙈🙈

Archived