Ayr United, What now 2016/17

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What exactly did you guys expect with the budget restraints of a part time club. McCall will have worked as hard as any manager trying to recruit new players. However, he is working with one hand tied behind his back.

The league start is still 6 weeks away. He will pick up a couple of players before that and also add 2/3 loan signings.

The problem with loan signings from premier clubs is that they tend to be young, untried and untested at a decent level.

Ayr are in for a rough ride next season. The difference in quality of the teams in the Championship is huge compared to League 1.

However, our manager knows this and im sure he will put up a fight. I think the club is in good managerial hands but he is not a miracle worker.

You can say all you like about budgets etc but Dumbarton who you would like to think have a smaller budget have brought in Robert Thomson from Brechin and Andy Stirling at Stranrser who'd stroll into our team

If we can't compete with Dumbarton financially then we might aswell pack in just now, I'm afraid.

We need at least 6 signings and it doesn't look like we're going to get that.

You can say all you like about budgets etc but Dumbarton who you would like to think have a smaller budget have brought in Robert Thomson from Brechin and Andy Stirling at Stranrser who'd stroll into our team

If we can't compete with Dumbarton financially then we might aswell pack in just now, I'm afraid.

You are right. Maybe if we ask nicely they will let us just play in league one next year.

Ive no idea if we can compete with Dumbarton financially.

They have also signed Stevo. Now, Ryan can put any spin on his reasons for so doing but, i would imagine, bearing in mind his self proclaimed love of Ayr United, his major reason for moving north of the Clyde would be because he was offered a more lucrative deal.

I agree we need around 6 more signings and I believe we will bring in those 6 signings over the next couple of months.

Ian McCall will be every bit as frustrated as the fans that his efforts to entice players to Somerset has shown very slow progress.

Players will hold out for a full time deal till pre-season is almost over, unless we have 2-3 coaching roles spare like Devlin and Donald are on, we will be looking to catch the best of the players turning part time. 

I think that unless quality drops at McCalls feet in the next few weeks we could be waiting a while for players with any sort of pedigree signing.

Personally I think Stevenson was told to look elsewhere, Cairney Adams and Docherty look like a midfield set out to do one thing, Trouten and Stevenson going has removed two of the only senior (albeit piss poor) attacking midfielders from the club which may mean a change of style for next season that they wouldn't have fitted in to.

Cairney is an attacking midfielder, just wasn't last season for Stranraer (when I saw them)

Not bothered whatsoever that Dumbarton have Thomson, Stirling and Stevenson.

Stirling reminds me of Mikey McGowan and Bobby Barr, occasionally brilliant but more often than not complete dross

Ive no idea if we can compete with Dumbarton financially.

They have also signed Stevo. Now, Ryan can put any spin on his reasons for so doing but, i would imagine, bearing in mind his self proclaimed love of Ayr United, his major reason for moving north of the Clyde would be because he was offered a more lucrative deal.

I agree we need around 6 more signings and I believe we will bring in those 6 signings over the next couple of months.

Ian McCall will be every bit as frustrated as the fans that his efforts to entice players to Somerset has shown very slow progress.

Stevie Aitken gave an interview last week saying Ayr's offer was actually better than ours. May be a load of shite mind you.

If we had signed Thomson instead of

Dumbarton you can guarantee the thread would have had the same folk moaning that we were relying on signings from Dumbarton and Stranraer ahead of a tough league in the championship and we're going straight back down etc etc.

Impossible to win with some fans

Unfortunately there are so many fans who think they know what they're on about, when in reality they just revel in espousing negativity. They expect a whole squad to be signed up by the 1st June. During this stage of pre-season I would imagine it's fitness based work just now, so I don't think we need to panic.

Do you honestly think that McCall isn't trying to get players in? It's that stage of the season, players want to see if they can get a better deal or at a higher level. It's standard tactics and for half-decent players it's their market just now.

In McCall we must trust!!! As much as we fans like to think we know EVERYTHING about football we DON'T and I can guarantee McCall knows far more about the game than we do....let's wait and see and stop moaning.....after all we just got promoted let's not get ahead of ourselves!!!!

I think it's a bit simplistic to assume that Stevenson has went for the highest wage offered. I think we could offer more than Dumbarton, but he knows from last season that he is unlikely to be a starter with Ayr, and has gone for Dumbarton in the hope that he will be a first 11 player there. Also think its ridiculous how wound up people are getting at the lack of signings when we're still in June. Leave that panic button alone and enjoy the Euros ffs

No doubt about it that Stevo has been guaranteed a starting place with us. Entirely possible we've offered more than Ayr as well, I'm not convinced McCall was all that fussed about keeping him.

Agree with that entirely. It was clear by the end of the season he wasn't a first pick for us when everyone was fit. Aitken obviously knows him well and thinks he can get the best out of him so is prepared to take the gamble.

Archived