Men Only

No not the dog eared scud mags you used to find in hedges but the membership policy of the Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers.  Muirfield in East Lothian will no longer be on the Open hosting roster after the members failed to give allowing women to join the required two thirds of the vote when balloted.  Slow play, women feeling uncomfortable and the dangers of high heels damaging the greens were the main reasons given (I made the last one up).

What do P&B feel about this?  Is it "indefensible" as many, including Nicola Sturgeon herself, have said or should clubs have the right to exclude people who don't meet certain characteristics? 

Are any P&Bers members of any male only clubs and what motivates you to join such a sausage fest in the first place?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One Summer during Uni, I worked behind the bar of the Men Only bar in the British Legion in Inverness (prior to them finally letting women in). It was fully of old men who'd go there to escape their wife, fall asleep and pish their breeks. 

If anything, the women have dodged a bullet here.

I am not a member of any such clubs. I do sometimes fancy going for a swim in the local council pool and find that it's a "ladies only" swim session on.

Places like Curves gyms, women's Business Groups and organisations like Women for Independence don't allow men.

People can't be MOPEs about Muirfield unless they want Curves gyms and that to be forced to admit men.

I'm struggling to think of anything less appealing as a source of company than the sort of person who would want to be a member of a mens-only-Edinburgh-based golf club.

No not the dog eared scud mags you used to find in hedges but the membership policy of the Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers.  Muirfield in East Lothian will no longer be on the Open hosting roster after the members failed to give allowing women to join the required two thirds of the vote when balloted.  Slow play, women feeling uncomfortable and the dangers of high heels damaging the greens were the main reasons given (I made the last one up).

What do P&B feel about this?  Is it "indefensible" as many, including Nicola Sturgeon herself, have said or should clubs have the right to exclude people who don't meet certain characteristics? 

Are any P&Bers members of any male only clubs and what motivates you to join such a sausage fest in the first place?

I find it bizarre how in a world filled with people demanding freedom of speech and freedom of expression, while also demanding sexual equality, that men are chastised for wanting a male only club by the same people who dont bat an eyelid at women getting cheaper car insurance simply because they're female.

Women no longer get cheaper car insurance for being a women. That changed a few years ago.

It really didnt

I'm struggling to think of anything less appealing as a source of company than the sort of person who would want to be a member of a mens-only-Edinburgh-based golf club.

These golf clubs serve a splendid social function: rounding up the most boring twats in our land into one place, away from the rest of us. Especially when they have a Burns Supper.

Archived