Young Junior Players

cloughy

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forth signed four 17 year olds from Mill United at the start of the season, 3 have been regular starters from day one and the 4th has made a telling contribution from the bench every time he has come on! This in a season where we won our league. So if they are good enough and willing to work hard enough, they will definitely be given a chance a Forth Wanderers!

Do you think? Depends who they sign for , no matter what level we are talking some managers are reluctant to throw young players into a starting 11 no matter who good the potential they have

Which is a huge reason why scottish football fall behind other countries who go for ability.

That and the " he's too wee " brigade that run our football , if messi was scottish he would have been chucked out to Cowdenbeath from the top level for being too wee.

Last night against Beith 8 of the 14 players used by us were 22 or under including a 17 yr old and 18 yr old, the 18 yr old lad won us a penalty and scored the 3rd goal as it goes! Not bad considering our position in the league! I know Beith had a few youngsters in the squad as well. 

We at kirkcaldy ym have had 6 or 7 18 year olds starting weekly with a further 3 or 4 within the squad. I suppose if you've money to spend then youth players may not be a priority as spending money equals pressure & most go for experience over youth. Our lads have more than held there own in the majority of games.

Last night against Beith 8 of the 14 players used by us were 22 or under including a 17 yr old and 18 yr old, the 18 yr old lad won us a penalty and scored the 3rd goal as it goes! Not bad considering our position in the league! I know Beith had a few youngsters in the squad as well.

That's great going and we had three boys out last night from our youth teams .

One who started wide left is only 16 and I think the other two could be 17 ( one came on as a sub)although not 100% certain but they will be around that age. Great to see young guys getting a chance and it's probably better to blood them in games that aren't quite as pressurised to start with but after that then if they prove to be good enough then they should be in regardless of the level.

Do you think? Depends who they sign for , no matter what level we are talking some managers are reluctant to throw young players into a starting 11 no matter who good the potential they have

Spot On, if the manager does not have the bottle  and just wants to  plays his old mates. 

16 year old Daniel Murphy played in the Paces last to game and was excellent also 2 under 19s involved all season if young player get their chance it's up to them to take it

That's end of season stuff , would the manager use the same boys if you had a chance of still winning the league . I don't think so

Maybe another reason why the super premier should expand to 16 teams so it's less cut throat and less of a rat race for survival.

A bigger league would maybe allow managers to blood more youngsters in games that aren't ï¸as cut throat .

3 years ago at Rosyth we brought in a team full off u19 players some who were 16 and 17 and took a lot of doings in the first 6 months but gradually these players have came thru to be seasoned juniors but you need the committee and supporters of the club to buy into that route as it takes a lot out of you

No 4 great to see they stuck with it some clubs say we will run with youth then a few months into the season panic button is pressed and bingo plan b in full swing and any youth that survive are bench warmers I can understand all the pros and cons but junior football would be a great stearing point for many boys ditched by seniors

Archived