Next Season

Any club that does not meet the critea or who have refused to be part of the pyramid set up    EOS /SOS/LL /JUNIORS ETC 

Should all be barred from entering the Scottish ,,,,,,,,,,end of

especially any Junior team ( they have their :thumsup2  closed shop cup already  )

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I know but should they be allowed in the Scottish Cup in future then ?

Different question. I certainly think the time has come to remove teams who are making no effort to either get licensed or take part in the pyramid, I.e. most in the juniors and some smaller SOS/EOS clubs.

If Threave say they can't afford to take part that's more worrying. Perhaps questions if the set-up is right, or questions how Threave are organised.

Different question. I certainly think the time has come to remove teams who are making no effort to either get licensed or take part in the pyramid, I.e. most in the juniors and some smaller SOS/EOS clubs.

If Threave say they can't afford to take part that's more worrying. Perhaps questions if the set-up is right, or questions how Threave are organised.

Crazy thing with Threave is,they along with Spartans were big movers behind the creation of the LL. But if they can't afford it and can't compete with Dalbeattie or Gretna in the area then maybe it is time for a wee time out.

Threave have always considered themselves superior to anyone else in the SOS. The difficulties they are currently encountering mirror the problems they experienced a few years ago in the EOS when they were forced to withdraw.

Ambition needs finding .Bryn gillfilan had ambition but threave had a look at situation and thought we can't fund that. So after taking on Bryan had.he had to walk away . I am certain he would have done a great job at threave but its not to be

Ambition needs finding .Bryn gillfilan had ambition but threave had a look at situation and thought we can't fund that. So after taking on Bryan had.he had to walk away . I am certain he would have done a great job at threave but its not to be

Obviously we will never get to find out about gillfilan's ambitious plans for threave, but am sure he would of had an ambitious wage/expense budget for himself. Then there was his plans to bring in upwards of 10-15 players, who had played at a higher level (above LL standard) no doubt expected to be on reasonable fee's plus win bonus. No one persons ambitions are to the detriment of the clubs stability, either financially or in line with the clubs local identity. Threave have had a good crack at the LL for two seasons now and fell short, but in all honest it has been a slight downward trend for the last few years for the playing squad. The clubs facilities and infrastructure seem to be in good stead. So if the committee and volunteers at the club feel it's in their best interest to take a step back and rebuild rather than go big on gillfilan's ambitious plans, then respect the people who give up their own time to run what is a community club which will be around long after gillfilan's proposed plans.

Glad Threave have been pragmatic about this. As I have said in previous posts 'ambition' always involves spending other people's money.I saw Gilfillan has been bleating about his treatment on other forums. Perhaps if he was astute enough to produce a business plan which was sustainable and acceptable to the committee h might have been on the right lines.

You'll know the SFA Membership rejected such an idea last AGM?

Having the cup open to sides who get in on sporting merit seems a fair enough route as opposed to making it yet again a members club for sides who do the minimum onfield.

Think that was two AGMs ago. Last time around they added the SAFA cup winner and reinstated the EoS and SoS champions (not sure why that needed to be done) to the list of qualifiers. Last year the Amateur Cup winner was Harestanes from Kirkintilloch, who got knocked out by Girvan in a game played at Kilsyth Rangers' ground. This year it will be Colville Park from Motherwell. 

Having the cup open to sides who get in on sporting merit seems a fair enough route as opposed to making it yet again a members club for sides who do the minimum onfield.

Agree up to a point - it shouldn't be encouraging clubs to spend loads on players in the short term, while doing nothing for spectators. To be fair, I think we've been moving away from that in recent years, but we shouldn't ditch the licensing.

If it's a new members' club, at least it's now one that anyone can join.

A members club eh? Not unlike the junior members only cup,at least the senior cup is becoming more open unlike the juniors closed shop..

Interesting, if true.

We get perpetual moans from some around Stranraer that our team should have more locals in it, or even be made up entirely of locals. These people won't accept suggestions that our league position would fall dramatically if we did this.

Now here we have posters suggesting that there may not be enough talent in D&G to allow a team to compete at Lowland League level, let alone in any of the SPFL divisions.

I think people in stranraer say that local boys dont get a chance at the club. I know of a few who would be worth looking at but never got a look in. Im not saying they would all make the grade but how will you know if you dont try them. Most have played in the unders teams u13-u19 then let go ,there's no clear path to the first team for the youngsters to aim for

Think that was two AGMs ago. Last time around they added the SAFA cup winner and reinstated the EoS and SoS champions (not sure why that needed to be done) to the list of qualifiers. Last year the Amateur Cup winner was Harestanes from Kirkintilloch, who got knocked out by Girvan in a game played at Kilsyth Rangers' ground. This year it will be Colville Park from Motherwell. 

Anything to do with LL taking places?

I think people in stranraer say that local boys dont get a chance at the club. I know of a few who would be worth looking at but never got a look in. Im not saying they would all make the grade but how will you know if you dont try them. Most have played in the unders teams u13-u19 then let go ,there's no clear path to the first team for the youngsters to aim for

Doesn't help that up to and including Under 17s at Stranraer... Your training is at Stranraer!! But when you go up to Under 20s at Stranraer them you are training at Galston and Troon which doesn't help the boys who are interested in playing at that level

Doesn't help that up to and including Under 17s at Stranraer... Your training is at Stranraer!! But when you go up to Under 20s at Stranraer them you are training at Galston and Troon which doesn't help the boys who are interested in playing at that level

Been a problem for years. Plenty of boys been offered the chance but have failed to commit.

Yeah but I wouldn't travel from Stranraer to Troon to train!! Not worth it...

Not worth it if you're not interest. If you want to play for the club or want to play at as high a level as you can you commit to these things.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived