Scottish Cup 2016/17

mrman2011

3 minutes ago, Marr1 said:

Where is the draw? I heard someone say it was in Aberdeen but I'm not sure.

Aberdeen, correct. It's "at Cove Rangers"... but as they're homeless "at Cove Rangers" actually means "at the Altens Hotel":

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=1957&newsCategoryID=7&newsID=16515

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, HibeeJibee said:

It's "at Cove Rangers"... but as they're homeless "at Cove Rangers" actually means "at the Altens Hotel, Aberdeen":

http://www.scottishfa.co.uk/scottish_fa_news.cfm?page=1957&newsCategoryID=7&newsID=16515

Can anyone just go along? I might go since it's after uni.

I would imagine so if they've advertised the venue and time... I didn't make it myself but they were actively encouraging people to go to the preliminaries draw at Coldstream Museum a couple of months ago. Normally when they're in the Football Museum/Hall of Fame at Hampden or in William Hill shops they want a crowd to gather to make the photos look better.

It's years ago now... back when Tennant's were the sponsors, it was still the old Qualifying Cups and most clubs got random byes in R1... they held it in the Pleasance Cabaret Bar in Edinburgh because Edinburgh University had qualified for the first time in years. That's the only time I've ever been to one, and there was a decent crowd. I think a lot of clubs tend to send reps along if they can - to bask in the kudos and fix-up some arrangements with whoever they draw - but don't suppose there will be so many of those trailing up to Aberdeen as compared to the central belt.

SFA President is from Cove so it's probably a perk and chance to publicise their stadium plans.

28 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Aberdeen, correct. It's "at Cove Rangers"... but as they're homeless "at Cove Rangers" actually means "at the Altens Hotel":

Its a bit of a farce that a homeless team is hosting the draw:lol: I suppose the Althens Hotel is not far from their old ground.

CC tweet confirms - 8pm that Wednesday.

Unusual to get a midweek replay in R1 - and Clyde are away this Saturday.

Cumbernauld presumably prefer to play LL game at Gala, and Leith to host EOSL game v Coldstream.

LL has a near-full card that midweek - Cumbernauld v Whitehill will be cancelled.

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I would imagine so if they've advertised the venue and time... I didn't make it myself but they were actively encouraging people to go to the preliminaries draw at Coldstream Museum a couple of months ago. Normally when they're in the Football Museum/Hall of Fame at Hampden or in William Hill shops they want a crowd to gather to make the photos look better.

It's years ago now... back when Tennant's were the sponsors, it was still the old Qualifying Cups and most clubs got random byes in R1... they held it in the Pleasance Cabaret Bar in Edinburgh because Edinburgh University had qualified for the first time in years. That's the only time I've ever been to one, and there was a decent crowd. I think a lot of clubs tend to send reps along if they can - to bask in the kudos and fix-up some arrangements with whoever they draw - but don't suppose there will be so many of those trailing up to Aberdeen as compared to the central belt.

SFA President is from Cove so it's probably a perk and chance to publicise their stadium plans.

I've been to a few early round draws that Welfare have been in and it's good fun going along. Aberdeens a bit far though :lol: 

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

CC tweet confirms - 8pm that Wednesday.

Unusual to get a midweek replay in R1 - and Clyde are away this Saturday.

Cumbernauld presumably prefer to play LL game at Gala, and Leith to host EOSL game v Coldstream.

LL has a near-full card that midweek - Cumbernauld v Whitehill will be cancelled.

Can understand CC not wanting to travel to Gala midweek!

Probably wouldn't have been in midweek - LL keep several free dates in March-April for rescheduling games, and both those clubs play on 3G which keeps their postponement totals down. Cumbernauld didn't enter the EOS Qualifying Cup and Gala were eliminated by Spartans in R1, so might not have games on QF day in December or SF day in January either.

Cumbernauld played their postponed R2 tie with Stirling Albion on midweek last season so maybe they just prefer leaving things as they stand. I was more surprised from Leith's side tbh.

3 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Probably wouldn't have been in midweek - LL keep several free dates in March-April for rescheduling games, and both those clubs play on 3G which keeps their postponement totals down. Cumbernauld didn't enter the EOS Qualifying Cup and Gala were eliminated by Spartans in R1, so might not have games on QF day in December or SF day in January either.

Cumbernauld played their postponed R2 tie with Stirling Albion on midweek last season so maybe they just prefer leaving things as they stand. I was more surprised from Leith's side tbh.

Ah forgot about the free weeks in the LL. When I 1st seen Clyde were away next week I thought it would be on the Saturday as you say you would think it would have been better for Leith to play on the Saturday.

As an illustration of how unusual it is for non-leaguers - since the new format began these are the only ties which have been played in midweek when they could have been weekend.

2007-08 ... R2 replay ... Dumbarton v Forfar
2007-08 ... R3 replays ... Queen's Park v Airdrie, East Fife v Brechin

2008-09 ... R3 replay ... Alloa v Raith

2009-10 ... R3 replay ... Peterhead v Raith, Alloa v Cowdenbeath, Clyde v Livingston

2011-12 ... R3 replay ... Montrose v Ayr

2012-13 ... R3 replays ... Berwick v Stenhousemuir, Morton v Albion Rovers, Raith v Airdrie

2013-14 ... R3 replay ... Annan v Stenhousemuir

2014-15 ... R3 replays ... Airdrie v Morton, Alloa v Ayr

2015-16 ... R2 replays ... Montrose v Lothian Thistle HV, Stirling Albion v East Fife
2015-16 ... R3 first tie ... Stirling Albion v Cumbernauld, Dumbarton v Alloa

2016-17 ... R1 replay ... Cumbernauld v Leith

10 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

As an illustration of how unusual it is for non-leaguers - since the new format began these are the only ties which have been played in midweek when they could have been weekend.

2007-08 ... R2 replay ... Dumbarton v Forfar
2007-08 ... R3 replays ... Queen's Park v Airdrie, East Fife v Brechin

2008-09 ... R3 replay ... Alloa v Raith

2009-10 ... R3 replay ... Peterhead v Raith, Alloa v Cowdenbeath, Clyde v Livingston

2011-12 ... R3 replay ... Montrose v Ayr

2012-13 ... R3 replays ... Berwick v Stenhousemuir, Morton v Albion Rovers, Raith v Airdrie

2013-14 ... R3 replay ... Annan v Stenhousemuir

2014-15 ... R3 replays ... Airdrie v Morton, Alloa v Ayr

2015-16 ... R2 replays ... Montrose v Lothian Thistle HV, Stirling Albion v East Fife
2015-16 ... R3 first tie ... Stirling Albion v Cumbernauld, Dumbarton v Alloa

2016-17 ... R1 replay ... Cumbernauld v Leith

Didn't Beith play their replay with Airdrie in midweek in 2010/11?

I seem to remember it being during Christmas holidsys after the game had been postponed many times due to snow.

To be fair reading your post we maybe didn't have a choice to play it at weekend due to the many postponements.

Didn't Beith play their replay with Airdrie in midweek in 2010/11?

I seem to remember it being during Christmas holidsys after the game had been postponed many times due to snow.

To be fair reading your post we maybe didn't have a choice to play it at weekend due to the many postponements.

Yes that is true, postponed on the second Saturday for the Replay week of the referees strike. Game was due to be played on the following Tuesday postponed again due to a freak snow blizzard, postponed all the way up until the Tuesday 3rd January 1.45 ko with a crowd of 1600+

Archived