Scottish Cup 2016/17

mrman2011

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No ground-sharers drawn at home except BSC Glasgow, but Alloa Athletic are away anyway... Leith won't be able to go back to Spartans at least on the Saturday afternoon (they're at home v East Stirlingshire in LL). If moved elsewhere then also home in the cup are Civil Service and Edinburgh Uni. Meadowbank Stadium or Prestonpans would be available or an unlicensed venue assuming the issue with Meadowank 3G isn't sorted. Amateur qualifies have used unlicensed neutral venues.

Extra substitute thing makes total sense: you get 3 in 90 minutes so logical to get another in any additional 30 minutes. It is being 'tested' - although I'm not sure what needs testing, tbh! - in various other nations including the FA Cup, though for some reason only in the concluding rounds where no replays apply.

Noticed this on BBC website as well

As the draw is taking place for the first round of the Scottish Cup, it can be revealed that teams will be permitted to use a fourth substitute in any tie in this season's competition should it go into extra time.

This is an initiative that has been introduced by the Scottish FA after recent talks with the International Football Association Board.

Good move

Will this apply to the preliminary rounds that have gone to replay? (No word before colville vs edu replay tho that didn't go to et) guess we'll need to see if it applies to beith vs Talbot.

17 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

No ground-sharers drawn at home except BSC Glasgow, but Alloa Athletic are away anyway... Leith won't be able to go back to Spartans (they're at home to East Stirlingshire in LL), and also drawn at home in the cup are Civil Service and Edinburgh Uni... but they may go somewhere like Meadowbank Stadium or Prestonpans or even play at an unlicensed venue assuming the issue with Meadowank 3G isn't sorted.

Extra substitute thing makes total sense: you get 3 in 90 minutes so logical to get another in any additional 30 minutes. It is being 'tested' - although I'm not sure what needs testing, tbh! - in various other nations including the FA Cup, though for some reason only in the concluding rounds where no replays apply.

From speaking to someone at the game on Saturday Leith didn't play at the main Meadowbank on Saturday as it would have been too expensive to hire. I wouldn't be surprised if the didn't play their cup tie at Ainslie Park on the Sunday, or maybe even the Friday night.

I thought that myself but I also wondered if the rules would allow that i.e. choose not to pick other available venues and in turn pick one that means not playing on the appointed date.

Ainslie Park may not be available anyway. Spartans U20s and Edusport Academy U20s alternate the Friday nights in the Lowland & EOS U20s League, then Spartans Women are at home on the Sunday.

Might the issue with Meadowbank 3G be resolved by then? I'd heard they wanted to use it, and the problem was a council paperwork thing to do with the pitch certificate.

On 9/5/2016 at 18:12, HibeeJibee said:

I thought that myself but I also wondered if the rules would allow that i.e. choose not to pick other available venues and in turn pick one that means not playing on the appointed date.

Ainslie Park may not be available anyway. Spartans U20s and Edusport Academy U20s alternate the Friday nights in the Lowland & EOS U20s League, then Spartans Women are at home on the Sunday.

Might the issue with Meadowbank 3G be resolved by then? I'd heard they wanted to use it, and the problem was a council paperwork thing to do with the pitch certificate.

From what my source told me on Saturday the 3G at Meadowbank is UEFA approved but the council never got the certificate! and for Leith to play in the Cup there they need the certificate which is more expensive to get now and the council apparently told them they would have to pay for it.

I was thinking along the lines that as they have already nominated Ainslie Park as a 2nd venue the SFA may want them to stay there instead of moving around all the time. As you say a Friday would be out of the question - what time does the woman's game kick off on the Sunday.

16 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

If AP is actually Leith's registered venue for the Scottish Cup then of course the Womens game or the U20s game might simply be cancelled/re-timed, as it would have precedence?

Spartans vs Whitehill in the Youth Cup on Friday evening. No need to cancel games.

Beith Juniors or Auchinleck Talbot v Strathspey Thistle
BSC Glasgow v Rothes
Civil Service Strollers v Hawick Royal Albert
Clachnacuddin v Stirling University
Dalbeattie Star v Wick Academy
Deveronvale v Gretna 2008
East Kilbride v Vale of Leithen
Edinburgh University v Whitehill Welfare
Forres Mechanics v Lossiemouth
Fort William v Brora Rangers
Gala Fairydean Rovers v Fraserburgh   
Girvan v Huntly
Inverurie Locos v Buckie Thistle
Keith v Banks o’ Dee 
Leith Athletic v Cumbernauld Colts 
Nairn County v Preston Athletic
Selkirk v Linlithgow Rose
Turriff United v Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic

When do the Irish and Welsh teams enter?

Wick to St Cuthbert Wanderers (2008-09) is further and holds the record by current roads. Possibly also Threave to Wick (2001-02), marginally.

Wick's also hosted Coldstream twice, and visited Coldstream and Berwick.

All of those are post-2000 except the first of Coldstream's trips (1954-55) which is the longest journey as some roads and bridges in existence now weren't then.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/coldstream-challenge-wick-over-longest-trip-1-1134413

Coldstream left Thursday... 2 Thurso-based Wick players missed kick-off :lol:.

That would also be the longest journey in terms of duration as they went by motor coach. Perhaps bar some island teams in the early days - although even then it wouldn't actually take that long by steamer; or some extremely unusual tie in the early days if someone had to go by charabanc.

Worse still for Coldstream, they won the game and in the next round were drawn away to... Brora!!

Senior fans who were looking forward to IsabelGoudie, the Auchinleck juggernaut and Talbot's 17,000 strong support, will be saddened to see they exited 3-0 at home to Beith today.

Second Preliminary Round, replay
Auchinleck Talbot 0-3 Beith

First Round (September 24th)
Beith v Strathspey Thistle
BSC Glasgow v Rothes
Civil Service Strollers v Hawick Royal Albert
Clachnacuddin v University of Stirling
Dalbeattie Star v Wick Academy
Deveronvale v Gretna 2008
East Kilbride v Vale of Leithen
Edinburgh University v Whitehill Welfare
Forres Mechanics v Lossiemouth
Fort William v Brora Rangers
Gala Fairydean Rovers v Fraserburgh   
Girvan v Huntly
Inverurie Locos v Buckie Thistle
Keith v Banks o’ Dee 
Leith Athletic v Cumbernauld Colts (reported as September 25th tbc)
Nairn County v Preston Athletic
Selkirk v Linlithgow Rose
Turriff United v Bonnyrigg Rose Athletic

Archived