Do you have a decent lifestyle?

Someone once said "I've been rich and I've been poor and rich is better". Well I've been relatively poor and I am now relatively well off and I agree with the sentiment.

I have had to put in a lot of hours over the last 20 years to get to where I am but that is no longer the case and I rarely work an eight hour day now, although occasionally I have to work in the evenings.

I don't regret having put in the hours to get to where I am as I have been reaping the rewards for some time. Importantly I also have financial security as do both my sons who work with me.

I don't plan to retire until I'm 67 but, failing unforeseen health/personal issues, I will have a relatively relaxed and comfortable lifestyle including holidays, a nice car and the sort of house I never thought I would own until to that time. I'll then be able to retire in a way where I won't be counting the pennies and will still be able to pass on a substantial amount to my children and grandchildren.

One thing I am conscious of is that there are many people who work hard all their lives, sometimes in physically exerting jobs, who are nowhere near as fortunate as I am.

Hard work doesn't always equate to just rewards I despise the oaksoft mentality that everyone is the master/mistress of their own destiny.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I work for the Railway in a pretty secure and relatively decent paid job, it has great benefits and I spend a lot of time doing nothing, which pleases me. My partner is a Solicitor in a large firm in town, she enjoys it and is due to get a promotion to Associate soon.

Financially we are doing okay, money in the bank, our cars about 2 years old and don't have a large mortgage. The biggest expenditure per month is probably my daughters nursery, she's in for three days a week at £56 per day.

I've reached that age where I don't give a f**k about going out as much and only really spend money on clothes when I need to. My next biggest expense will be a security system to stop throbber scaling our wall and looking through the windows.

I only showed interest in your whereabouts as you changed your location, chump. 

Someone once said "I've been rich and I've been poor and rich is better". Well I've been relatively poor and I am now relatively well off and I agree with the sentiment.

Sophie Tucker, Jewish-American vaudeville singer, very popular in the 1920s.  You probably saw her live.

My lifestyle is good. I get paid silly money from which I have a nice house and car. I'll be mortgage free before I'm 40 and go on several holidays a year.

The downside is working offshore for 3 weeks at a time is shit.

Is money more important than health and lifestyle?  

The answer to this is no, but I can't help but think a large number of people say "I'm so lucky to have friends around me rather than a rich but really busy lifestyle" to disguise the fact they're jealous that they'll not have the early retirement comfort or lack of financial worry of the latter.  

My old mum (RIP) was always calling her Jan Dildo, much to my amusement.

My mate's gran used to say she was scared to go down to the shops because of "those bloody snue gliffers".

I'm a maths teacher.

I absolutely love my job, the vast, vast majority of kids at the school are absolutely brilliant young people - it's a shame there are a cohort of about 15-20 kids determined to spoil it for everyone else.

My commute's less than 20 minutes.

I'm not at the top of the salary scale, but earn a reasonable amount. I've an honours degree in mathematics so could have probably earned more elsewhere but I love teaching.

My wife's a teacher as well and has been mostly part-time / supply for the past few years but is going back full-time in August. She's at the top of the salary scale so we should be pretty comfortable after then. It's not too much of a struggle just now but we don't have much in the way of leftover money if we treat ourselves from time to time.

Similar, apart from the married bit, and I do ok for money as I have no mortgage/rent or car payments.

I'm happy, but could be happier with the right partner I guess

Well I live on everyone's else's hard earned taxes. Oaksoft heads now gone.

Not what I planned for in life but it's where I find myself.

Kids are fed and clothed and the bills are paid. I don't have a fancy lifestyle as that's not me. They go to various activities.

My boyfriend and I maybe go out for dinner couple times a month which he pays for.

I manage things so that we can go away once a yr. plus my folks are still in north so kids see going there as a holiday.

I'm studying through the ou with the aim of starting a pgde either next yr or yr after. I'll prob be worse off a

Month!

Start now.  Before you know it you'll be 40, washed up with a pissed up mentalist wife and a child, stuck in Dundee for eternity.

Trust me on this one.

And worse, he'll still support Dundee.

Start now.  Before you know it you'll be 40, washed up with a pissed up mentalist wife and a child, stuck in Dundee for eternity.

Trust me on this one.

Christ Mozza thats a bit bleak is it not?

I have a pretty decent lifestyle. I work in a university library and get reasonably good money, its an ok job, good hours and conditions but it can get a bit stressful at times and also can be a bit boring.

Myself and my boyfriend really like travelling so most of our money ends up going on trips away, nice meals etc. I wouldn't say we were particularly flash though, we go to places we like rather than to say "we've been there" and we have an old Alfa Romeo but thats only because the OH absolutely loves them :-)

i am currently trying to make up my mind about a job I have an interview for, a big increase in money and opportunities to work abroad in future (which we'd both love to do) but also in responsibility, which I find a bit stressful. Have to decide whether I think its worth it.

Mozza if you stick in and apply yourself you could maybe get a move to India or forfar?

I don't think he's good with strange languages and customs so he should try for India.

Taking age into account, I'd say we are doing not too bad. Girlfriend (partner?) and I both work full time in jobs we both enjoy for the most part. We have a fairly wee house that we bought in 2014 and are planning to buy the 'forever home' in 3-4 years.

Granted, we are fairly skint most months but that's because we either spend the wages on nice things or upgrades to the house, or we put whatever we can into the savings. We share our money completely, 1 big pot that we both dip into and it works well for us.

Yeah life is fairly good. I'd like a bigger/nicer house but I am realistic about the timescales.

Archived