Do you have a decent lifestyle?

Oaksoft got me thinking about this on the politics thread as apparently, I don't earn enough according to him and I happen to think the world is more than earning money.

I currently do a job which I actually love.  It's a 15 minute commute from home, I work three days a week and the job itself is one in which I feel I make a difference in (I work with people recovering from ARBD).  I get plenty of time off, overtime when I want it (mainly I take it for car repairs or a holiday), I go plenty of holidays (New Zealand, Hong Kong, Kefalonia and a couple of weekends up the Highlands last year) and I drive a car that I like (it's getting on a bit now, but I love my wee Alfa).  I'm actually enjoying my life just now!

The money for my job is pretty crap but that's not the point for me.  I would hate being stuck in a job I hated just to earn more money - in fact, I decided to quit a managers job in 2014 as I was heading for either a heart attack or burn out.  Screw being the richest man in the graveyard!

Anyhow, do you have a good quality of life?  Is money more important than health and lifestyle?  

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TBF Oaksoft is a fucking fantasist in an utterly dead end job.

I work in Welfare Rights for the Local Authority (funded by a cancer charity) and help people in those situations with their finances, benefit claims etc. It's a pretty rewarding job in the main, but for obvious reasons can be a right downer. Overall though, I really enjoy it. My fiancee's a freelance photographer and we live pretty comfortably. Not loaded, but enough to comfortably enjoy life, and have a few weekends away each year.

I work Mon-Fri 9-5 (flexi tho) so have plenty of time to climb hills, do my own photography stuff etc, so yeah, life's pretty decent.

Starting in a few weeks time Monday to Friday 9-5* in an office. Weekends off and 5 weeks paid holiday a year, decent start out wage with the potential to go absolutely through the roof

* Accountancy at a big 4 firm though so "9-5" may be a misnomer

Don't get me wrong, I think the guy has his priorities all wrong and I'm certainly not apologising for what I do as I love it, I'm just interested to see if the rest of the site thinks chasing the pound is better than being happy.

Of course money may not bring you happiness, but you have a better standard of misery.....

I'm a maths teacher.

I absolutely love my job, the vast, vast majority of kids at the school are absolutely brilliant young people - it's a shame there are a cohort of about 15-20 kids determined to spoil it for everyone else.

My commute's less than 20 minutes.

I'm not at the top of the salary scale, but earn a reasonable amount. I've an honours degree in mathematics so could have probably earned more elsewhere but I love teaching.

My wife's a teacher as well and has been mostly part-time / supply for the past few years but is going back full-time in August. She's at the top of the salary scale so we should be pretty comfortable after then. It's not too much of a struggle just now but we don't have much in the way of leftover money if we treat ourselves from time to time.

Pros. I live 15 minutes from work, make decent money and the work isn't challenging. It's 9-5 with flexi so long weekends and hillwalking all doable.

Cons. The work isn't challenging,I'm surrounded by absolute clowns and if I wanted to go and do something else that I really want to do I would probably have to sell my six figure valued Perthshire home.

It's OK

I love my life to be honest. I used to work in a bank (7 years) and it was literally depressing. I smoked and drank too much. Now I have a 4 year old daughter, chucked the fags and booze. Cycle to work and feel good. I only work 28 hours a week (in a job I love dealing with local history and stuff) which is ideal as the days off I have the mrs works. Not got the most money in the world and it's tough financially sometimes but I have time and I value time far more than money.

I sound like a boring auld fart now compared to my early 20s but I'm happy

Your both teachers yet don't have much money left over to treat yourselves?

Between me and the wife we earn less than 20 grand a year yet live quite comfortable.

Yet my friend and his wife earn I'd say double ( one works on the rigs the other is part time teacher ) yet they are skint at the end of month more or less all the time.

It's all relative.

As a baseline they say you should put 10% away of everything you get until you have 6 months of rent and bills in case you lose your job or whatever.

Some people can't afford this

Your both teachers yet don't have much money left over to treat yourselves?

Between me and the wife we earn less than 20 grand a year yet live quite comfortable.

Yet my friend and his wife earn I'd say double ( one works on the rigs the other is part time teacher ) yet they are skint at the end of month more or less all the time.

My wife doesn't work full-time.

We have enough money to treat ourselves from time-to-time, just not much in the way of leftover money after that. My wife was incredibly poor with money when younger (before we were together) which we're still paying for.

I'm married to a woman with a financial planning qualification amongst others. Every penny we have is accounted for.....

I actually give her most of my wage. It's old fashioned, but she is much better with the finances than I am, I would be spending our money on daft shit like sailing yachts etc. It works, I get 'pocket money' and we can afford to go out more or less whenever we want.

Completely agree with the sentiment that as long as you're happy and comfortable with your job, it certainly shouldn't matter if you're not earning as much as you could be elsewhere. I'm currently working in the bookies, which is, in all honesty, a very comfortable job to have whilst studying. I'm making good money for a student, with nearly a 25% wage rise since last year, and they're happy to work my rota around my uni timetable. 

I'm studying to be a teacher, which starts off at reasonably comfortable and can rise to a decent salary. I can't see myself settling down into any other career and I reckon I'll be very happy as a teacher - provided everything goes to plan. 

It's all relative.

As a baseline they say you should put 10% away of everything you get until you have 6 months of rent and bills in case you lose your job or whatever.

Some people can't afford this

You don't want to be giving away your accountancy expertise for free there MB. You could be making money off that.

You don't want to be giving away your accountancy expertise for free there MB. You could be making money off that.

Funny thing is I knew shit all about accountancy a year ago apart from the stuff you get at higher but I have a maths degree and just applied en masses to a load of grad schemes and here I am today. Only thing is because I didn't do accounting at uni I need to start from the bottom whereas some of my contemporaries are already part qualified

Don't get me wrong, I think the guy has his priorities all wrong and I'm certainly not apologising for what I do as I love it, I'm just interested to see if the rest of the site thinks chasing the pound is better than being happy.

Of course money may not bring you happiness, but you have a better standard of misery.....

I can't imagine going to work every day and being miserable, even for a stonking salary. 

I'll admit that money motivates me, but there has to be a balance somewhere of a large salary and being happy. My mental and physical health is worth more to me than extra thousands in the bank, so whilst I will put up with some things in exchange for more money, it isn't the only determining factor. 

I have a fairly easy life at the moment, all things considered. I could earn more money, but it would have to be a very good offer to make the necessary sacrifices worthwhile. 

Archived