Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

32 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

I liked him. 

Pacey and skilful, he ripped teams to shreds during the league cup group stage last season. Then the real stuff started and he looked a bit out his depth tbh. 

However once he got use to the physical side of the game, he came back into the team and showed some good form towards the end of the year. Seemed to be a spell round about November/December where he was setting up goals every week. 

Like the rest of the team though, his form tailed off badly in 2020 and culminated in the decisive penalty miss against St Mirren as they put us out the cup. By that stage, he looked bereft of confidence again. 

He’s hardly been seen this season, so I can’t say I’m overly surprised at his departure. He was clearly no longer in Robinson’s plans and it frees up a decent wage for us.

Good luck to him.

Can I just put on record that seeing the East Staun with people in it and a bit of cheering makes me quite sad.

Hylton out, Cole in seems like a fair trade.

Cole's a bit more versatile than Hylton in so much as he can play wide or centrally. So that's good.

I can't be the only one thinking it but that makes Jordan White our 5th pick centre forward now.

Edited by capt_oats

6 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

See the thing is, nobody would actually take Hastie or Seedorf. Hylton was much better than them hence there was interest.

Hastie's not our player either so other than Rangers taking a decision out our hands just now and recalling him before the window closes to either loan him to a different club or sell him it really depends on how the break clause in January works.

Can we just ship him back to Ibrox or is it another situation like we had with Sammon?

The wording on the Rangers website was:

RANGERS Football Club can confirm attacker Jake Hastie will join Motherwell on-loan for the 2020/21 season, with a recall option in January 2021.

Link

Edited by capt_oats

Jordan White is giving off heavier Alex Fisher vibes with every passing day. He’ll be binned sooner rather than later.

He is also our only striker that doesn’t have a 4 letter surname so that’s also working against him.

Happy with Devante Cole. I liked him last season. Surely to god some combination of Cole, Long, Lang and Watt will click and see us ok. We’ll just have to win every game 4-3 if Lamie is still kicking about.

2 minutes ago, dezz said:

Jordan White is giving off heavier Alex Fisher vibes with every passing day. He’ll be binned sooner rather than later.

He is also our only striker that doesn’t have a 4 letter surname so that’s also working against him.

Happy with Devante Cole. I liked him last season. Surely to god some combination of Cole, Long, Lang and Watt will click and see us ok. We’ll just have to win every game 4-3 if Lamie is still kicking about.

You can bet your bottom dollar that Jordan White ends up at Ross County sooner or later.

Not sure about this Hylton character, but not wishing him any particular ill-harm is about the kindest anyone’s been about any of our signings this season.

6 minutes ago, dezz said:

Fully expecting Jordan Wite to turn up at training on Monday now you've pointed that out.

I'd probably put Hylton in the same pile as Danny Johnson and Elliot Frear in terms of our recent signings.

He was alright and 'on his day' he was good.

He clearly has something about him in a very specific way eg: in Hylton's case he's quick and has good feet, Johnson was a finisher and Frear was quick and could dig out a cross but in each case playing for us looked about their ceiling and weren't really going to kick on in the same way that some of our other more notable signings from that level did.

Edited by capt_oats

2 hours ago, dezz said:

If Jordan is committed he will drop the ‘h’

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

I'd probably put Hylton in the same pile as Danny Johnson and Elliot Frear in terms of our recent signings.

He was alright and 'on his day' he was good.

He clearly has something about him in a very specific way eg: in Hylton's case he's quick and has good feet, Johnson was a finisher and Frear was quick and could dig out a cross but in each case playing for us looked about their ceiling and weren't really going to kick on in the same way that some of our other more notable signings from that level did.

My favourite part of those highlights is being reminded that at the start of last season, Donnelly was absolutely pinging goals in from everywhere (see 1:32). 

I'm not convinced Hylton was actually that quick. He certainly had quick feet but I always thought his running style looked quite awkward. Although he had a few nice assists last season, I'm not that fussed he's away. Wish him well but he didn't fit our system and, even if he did, I reckon I'd take Seedorf ahead of him in a 4-3-3 (as Robinson was doing as well tbf). 

Seedorf was horrible last season, like almost amusingly bad, but I think he's been serviceable this season so far. He's looked more aggressive, taken on his man more and used his pace which, for some reason, he seemed to be scared to do last season. Not sure how bold a take this is but out of the two, I'm happier to have Seedorf than Hylton. Both of them would pretty much be fulfilling a come-off-the-bench-when-we-go-433-to-try-and-go-more-offensive role and I reckon Seedorf's pace is more frightening for defenders than Hylton.

3 hours ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Jermaine Hylton. What can we expect?

If Hylton has the ball and he is challenged, he will look down and see 4 feet, he won’t know which two are his, sometimes he will emerge with the ball and skin his man, sometimes he will just emerge.