Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

Does Steve Clarke actually watch Motherwell? Why he is picking those two just now I don't know.
They've been picked by default more than anything since all Scotland's decent defenders only seem to be able to play left back.

It's harsh on Campbell in that he's easily been our best player this season but he plays in a position where Clarke has so many options choose from. Maybe once he gets that big move to Hibs...

I think there might be some legs in the Campbell to Hibs stuff. Probably not while he's still under contract here but wouldn't shock me if the standard of English clubs in for him next summer isn't as attractive as some might expect and he opts for the not-quite sideways step up to stay in Scotland. Similar to how we ended up with SOD.

45 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I think there might be some legs in the Campbell to Hibs stuff. Probably not while he's still under contract here but wouldn't shock me if the standard of English clubs in for him next summer isn't as attractive as some might expect and he opts for the not-quite sideways step up to stay in Scotland. Similar to how we ended up with SOD.

Tbf, Hibs rocking up and saying "we'll give you less than half what you'd be due in development comp, if you sell us your best player now with less than a week of the transfer window to go" while we're sitting counting our cool £3m of Turnbull money is a weird flex but OK.

I mentioned this in the Aberdeen thread earlier but their tribunal fee paid to Accies for Lewis Ferguson was £237,950. Comparatively Ferguson had been at Accies from 2013-2018 and had 14 first team appearances. Campbell's been with us for 12 years (13 by the end of his contract) and is sitting on 131 appearances and 21 u21 caps.

Edited by capt_oats

Yeah, that was a fiasco. The system is well intentioned but unfortunately there is going to be that small bracket of players who come through a club's youth system, are good enough to take a step up but at a level where clubs can't afford to pay the fee due.

Sibbald is the most obvious example and I think there was a danger it could have happened with Cadden if he hadn't moved to US. I think Campbell is good enough for us to get the fee though but the transfer market in English lower leagues might be very different from what we're used to.

3 hours ago, Green Day said:

Which points 100% to this being agent / journo pish

For all Scott Burns is usually spot on with Motherwell stuff he's not above a story for the clicks. David Turnbull being "targeted" by Stoke springs to mind.

The Campbell/Hibs/Aberdeen stuff seems to coming from the same sort of place - I mean, I'd be more surprised if Hibs and Aberdeen weren't taking a look at Campbell but the line in the original piece: "The Edinburgh club would even be prepared to do a deal in this window but are unlikely to get to the levels where Motherwell would look to do an immediate deal." is a massive side eye.

It's paywalled so I've not read it but the thread below the tweet hints that the £200k development fee Burns and Thomson are talking about is pish and it's more than double that. Honest to god if I read another comment saying he can leave on a free in summer...to quote one of the tweets in the thread "He literally can't move for free. Anyone who signs him will have to pay the compensation fee. Even after he's left the club."

Edited by capt_oats

Cadden will have a word, he will head Stateside and eventually the USA national debt will be owed to us in pending payments.
I'd forgotten all about Cadden so had a quick look to see how he's getting on. His team are currently top of the MLS Eastern Conference (whatever that means).

Did we get anything for Cadden in the end? We seem to be relying on getting decent training compensation for Campbell (assuming he doesn't sign a new deal) but that seems risky if there's a loophole and we end up getting shafted by the likes of Oxford again.

18 hours ago, Ron Aldo said:

I'd forgotten all about Cadden so had a quick look to see how he's getting on. His team are currently top of the MLS Eastern Conference (whatever that means).

Did we get anything for Cadden in the end? We seem to be relying on getting decent training compensation for Campbell (assuming he doesn't sign a new deal) but that seems risky if there's a loophole and we end up getting shafted by the likes of Oxford again.

He's been an unused sub the past few games but aye they're top of their conference. Going by his IG he seems to be having a nice time though. So that's something.

As far as I'm aware it's still in dispute. MLS actually opted in to the training compensation thing not long before Cadden moved over there (see below from an article dated April 18th 2019) - the issue was Columbus Crew were claiming they hadn't been assigned a category.

414809320_ScreenShot2020-09-30at15_50_57.thumb.png.1a0b604a2c73de27b0568685d7eacc2a.png

I had a look the other day to see if there had been any movement on the MLS side of things but it still seems up in the air.

This article is from September 10th this year: https://ussoccerplayers.com/2020/09/training-compensation-and-solidarity-payments-once-again-at-issue.html

Edited by capt_oats

I'd be really surprised if Campbell signed with Hibs/Aberdeen. He would obviously command a really good contract at either side but I think he is destined for down south.

There hasn't been a huge amount of chat over the last few years but anything I have seen from Alan has always been little snippets about him maybe wanting to show what he can do down south. I get the feeling that will probably be where he is heading.

I'm a big fan but maybe I'm a wee bit less on the hype train than some. I think he is a stick on to get a decent club in the England Championship and do well. Do I think it will be a promotion chasing side? Probably not. He has great attributes but I still think his size and to some extent technical ability might work against him. Like I say, I think Campbell will thrive when he leaves us but there is definitely a reason why we haven't been receiving bids left right and centre for him.

I'm really hoping this isn't another young player we let go on compensation but if he does go without signing a new deal he has more than earned his move and noone should be criticising him regardless of where he goes.

I am hoping he signs a new deal.  I suspect he is quite rightly waiting to see what options present themselves before the transfer window closes apart from Hibs or Aberdeen. 

It is all very quiet and I suspect there may be some interest, but whether it is at a level the club would be interested in I very much doubt.  Assuming he went to a Grade II side we would be entitled to circa 600,000 Euros or thereabouts in compensation. So it would have to be an offer of £1m+ for us to be remotely interested.  

That is why it is a no brainer to dismiss interest from either Hibs or Aberdeen this transfer window. 

The club should also be thinking about ramifications of letting arguably our best player leave.  We have sold Scott and Turnbull for reasonable money this year.  Still think Turnbull was a steal and still am bemused no other sides were interested !! So to let Campbell leave and replace him with another average Joe would enrage the support. Especially if it coincides with us struggling even more than we are now.....

Keeping Campbell for a season and getting compensation is looking the more likely outcome unless he signs a new contract or we get a deal we cannot turn away.  I suspect the latter will not materialise.