Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

You're being linked with Devante Cole this morning. 
You'll have more strikers than anyone else in the league at this rate.
As much as I liked Cole I wouldn't be happy if we signed him at the moment. If we're bringing in anyone else (which I doubt we will) then defence has to be the priority.

19 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:
30 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:
You're being linked with Devante Cole this morning. 
You'll have more strikers than anyone else in the league at this rate.

As much as I liked Cole I wouldn't be happy if we signed him at the moment. If we're bringing in anyone else (which I doubt we will) then defence has to be the priority.

Agreed. I feel a bit hypocritical given I was lamenting the size of our squad a few weeks ago, but we do need a whole new defence, a holding midfielder (at least until Donnelly is fit) and a couple of wingers before we need another striker.

It would also be concerning if we had got to the end of September and Robinson didn't have faith that between Watt, Long, Lang and White (all of which are his signings) didn't have a workable partnership between them. 

The same record article also has us in for an extra keeper, with Fox out for the season.

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

9 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Not a chance we would get near a million. 500K maybe.

Well assuming he went to a Category 2 club then circa £600k which is between £500k and £1m 🙂

Either way Hibs could not afford him and as I stated if we are going to be offered £500k when we could quite probably get that in compo anyway why would we ever let him leave before his contract is due to end. 

As for the Cole rumours. Not sure I am on board with that one. Liked him while he was here but he was hardly prolific and still have one of the worst ever misses at St J to his name.... I know he has been a bad boy allegedly but Marc McNulty would be a better bet - pardon the pun. 

I'd happily have Cole back.

Equally agree with everyone else saying our priorities are elsewhere though.

Without wanting to be cold about it I've wondered whether we might see White end up Alex Fisher-ed. Hylton's another one who doesn't seem to have had much by way of game time this season and he's been wholly ineffective in what little he has seen. Hastie's loan has a break in it for January.

Edited by capt_oats

16 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I'd happily have Cole back.

Equally agree with everyone else saying our priorities are elsewhere though.

Without wanting to be cold about it I've wondered whether we might see White end up Alex Fisher-ed. Hylton's another one who doesn't seem to have had much by way of game time this season and he's been wholly ineffective in what little he has seen. Hastie's loan has a break in it for January.

Really looking forward to Burrows dealing with our summer signings in January:

tenor.gif?itemid=3520819 

Edited by well fan for life

Coincidentally was discussing Cole's availability over pints during Sunday's game.

Honestly, I was always a big fan of Devante. I thought he was really underrated during his time here. He gave us a proper physical presence upfront but was also dynamic enough. The idea of having Cole + Watt, Long and Lang would give us real options. I know there is a lot of support who aren't his biggest fan but I never really got why.

As has been alluded to it wouldn't surprise me if we moved White or Hylton out on loan especially given the change of system.

I liked Cole (although he was another in a long (Long?) line that never looked too pleased to have ended up at Fir Park :) ). That said, I'd much prefer that we were checking to see if the Australian season was over and we could get Tommy Aldred back on loan...

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

With the window closing are we likely to see any lower league English loans ye think?

I was thinking surely not but we are missing a few things so I could see it now.

I know people are talking about the squad size and everything but assuming the rest of the #YoungMotherwell group are loaned out (not including Morrison) we've got a first team squad of 24 bodies. Of whom Carroll has been out long term and still a month away from games apparently, it's debatable whether Dunne kicks a ball for us again any time soon, Fox is out for the season and Donnelly's out til an undetermined, TBC date in 2021.

That leaves us with 20 fit bodies. I'd be kind of surprised if we didn't bring a few in tbh.

IIRC Robinson was talking about the English leagues when we signed O'Donnell in August. His point was that many of the players in the lower leagues hadn't kicked a ball since March and hadn't started their pre-seasons yet so it was slim pickings. 

Given all their leagues are back (for now) you wouldn't imagine that would be an issue. You'd also think that the lower league clubs will be looking to trim their squads given all their talk about impending financial implosion.

41 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Can't wait for the reaction in here when Hibs' offer for Campbell of 100k plus the international broadcast rights for 2 Peruvian telenovelas and a 3% sell on fee is accepted next week.

That's almost an accurate depiction of our sales of Jamie Murphy and Mark Reynolds when your chief was at our helm. Fortunately due to the sales of James Scott and David Turnbull, we wouldn't need to sell for peanuts. 

3 minutes ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

That's almost an accurate depiction of our sales of Jamie Murphy and Mark Reynolds when your chief was at our helm. Fortunately due to the sales of James Scott and David Turnbull, we wouldn't need to sell for peanuts. 

Ach if only man. The absolute perfect player for what we need but he'll be well beyond us just now. Close to McGinn levels of potential to do well in England I'd say.

I think Ross is a draw for players coming to us, he seems well liked and respected, but we're a tiny step up (in terms of general likelihood of challenging for trophies/Europe) as are the other non-OF clubs so I don't think we have much other draw. I think the rumours when Ron came in were that the general budget wouldn't change much but we may have discretion for transformational signings. Doubt that's still the case given Covid

5 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Can't wait for the reaction in here when Hibs' offer for Campbell of 100k plus the international broadcast rights for 2 Peruvian telenovelas and a 3% sell on fee is accepted next week.

Up for this as long as it's Jock Brown doing the English dub.