Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

I see that Alan Burrows has confirmed to one of his reply guys, in a thread about Campbell, that ‘we’re in talks with several players about extending terms’.

Not exactly an earth shattering revelation that we want to extend the contract of our best player but perhaps a bit of the DT cash and hopefully getting through on Thursday will allow us to chuck some extra cash at wee Al and get him signed up on the usual proviso if a bid meets our valuation we won’t stand in his way.

There will be no shortage of takers for Campbell next summer when his deal is up. He's not unproven, 100+ games, several under 21 caps, 22 years old, adding goals to his game etc.

I don't see why he would sign a new deal with a release clause in it when he's free to move where he likes to double his wage this summer anyway.

I think we should just enjoy him while we can and be thankful we'll get training compensation when the time comes.

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

There will be no shortage of takers for Campbell next summer when his deal is up. He's not unproven, 100+ games, several under 21 caps, 22 years old, adding goals to his game etc.

I don't see why he would sign a new deal with a release clause in it when he's free to move where he likes to double his wage this summer anyway.

I think we should just enjoy him while we can and be thankful we'll get training compensation when the time comes.

You could have said exactly the same about DT. Yet he did sign an extension knowing that it would protect the club and make little difference to his future. And it played out exactly that way. 

Not disagreeing with your point necessarily as Campbell may well take that view. I hope he does not and that he gets his move when the time is right and the value is right. In the meantime he can instantly earn a little more cash. Quite sure we would build in a caveat around potential transfer value so we would not stand in his way if a good offer materialises. 

1 hour ago, welldaft said:

You could have said exactly the same about DT. Yet he did sign an extension knowing that it would protect the club and make little difference to his future. And it played out exactly that way. 

Not disagreeing with your point necessarily as Campbell may well take that view. I hope he does not and that he gets his move when the time is right and the value is right. In the meantime he can instantly earn a little more cash. Quite sure we would build in a caveat around potential transfer value so we would not stand in his way if a good offer materialises. 

Campbell has been absolutely outstanding for us since the second he came into the first team, but what you need to consider is that the Championship and League One in England is full of physical, driven, terrier type midfielders and players like Turnbull who have that "can't be taught" natural ability about them are much harder to come by. 

If he signs a one-year extension, I honestly can't see a team using that as grounds to come in with say an £800k bid (figure plucked from nowhere in particular) when they can just wait six months and sign him on a pre-contract. I think the chances of him signing a two-year deal are even slimmer.

He'll probably get the best value for himself (in terms of wages and signing on fee) from not signing a new deal and I don't begrudge him it.

Edit - just checked and was he to sign a one-year deal, it looks like we would still be entitled to compensation as his contract would expire five days before he turned 24, that's good timing.

Also when I was looking at what the compensation rules actually are, look who appeared as a case study. The bold Tony.

image.png.5259f150ff646a4b7e12713709051b3c.png

Edited by crazylegsjoe_mfc

Campbell has been absolutely outstanding for us since the second he came into the first team, but what you need to consider is that the Championship and League One in England is full of physical, driven, terrier type midfielders and players like Turnbull who have that "can't be taught" natural ability about them are much harder to come by. 
If he signs a one-year extension, I honestly can't see a team using that as grounds to come in with say an £800k bid (figure plucked from nowhere in particular) when they can just wait six months and sign him on a pre-contract. I think the chances of him signing a two-year deal are even slimmer.
He'll probably get the best value for himself (in terms of wages and signing on fee) from not signing a new deal and I don't begrudge him it.
Edit - just checked and was he to sign a one-year deal, it looks like we would still be entitled to compensation as his contract would expire five days before he turned 24, that's good timing.
Also when I was looking at what the compensation rules actually are, look who appeared as a case study. The bold Tony.
image.png.5259f150ff646a4b7e12713709051b3c.png

How did that work out? Take it Southend made a multi million pound profit?

I see in this european week - the club did an OTD on Twitter

Ehz43HLWoAQN8I5?format=jpg&name=small

Anyone that's (a) old enough and (b) lucky enough to have been there would probably agree that as trips go it would be hard to beat, not least as the actual football was really good (probably as well as we've played in Europe).

The fact that we'd well over 1000 there and most apparently went by bus seems a bit quaint now - but even though I couldn't imagine doing it these days, it was genuinely exciting doing the ML1 equivalent of Overlanding :)

The bus trip in itself was a bit of experience. I was on one of the buses that left Fir Park at 11pm - quite a few folk were literally carried on to their bus and our bus had to get mopped out at Dover. We stayed in a hotel in the outskirts of Dortmund (might have been an Ibis) and I remember another bus arriving with numerous crates of Buckfast in the boot. Fortunately the advent of budget airlines wasn't far away.

16 minutes ago, Archie McSquackle said:

The bus trip in itself was a bit of experience. I was on one of the buses that left Fir Park at 11pm - quite a few folk were literally carried on to their bus and our bus had to get mopped out at Dover. We stayed in a hotel in the outskirts of Dortmund (might have been an Ibis) and I remember another bus arriving with numerous crates of Buckfast in the boot. Fortunately the advent of budget airlines wasn't far away.

Yep - the bus I was on left at 9pm on the Sunday night (IIRC) and I think most had been in the boozer all day and half the weight on the bus was a huge carryout - that was topped up in Calais with a ton of cliched stubby bottles of Stella and Kronenburg from a Hypermarket (did Hypermarkets only exist in Calais? :) ). As you say - Easyjet and Ryanair took all the glamour out of it :)

Was too young to go to Dortmund but we were some team. Mind watching it and giving them a decent run.

I also hate seeing 'Well fans have a love of Dortmund cos we played them, they were dirty cheating b*****ds and every one who remembers the game should hate the horrible b*****ds until they die.

36 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

Was too young to go to Dortmund but we were some team. Mind watching it and giving them a decent run.

I also hate seeing 'Well fans have a love of Dortmund cos we played them, they were dirty cheating b*****ds and every one who remembers the game should hate the horrible b*****ds until they die.

This. Especially in the tie at Fir Park. A right eye opener how cynical they were against a wee team like Motherwell. Of course it helps that the referee was on hand to make sure they got through to the next round. He was quite a well known Referee iirc. Maybe not then but certainly had a decent career. 

Edit to add - how good was that team and how well did we play in that game. How many chances Created away v B Dortmund v home to St Johnstone on Saturday....changed days....

Edited by welldaft

46 minutes ago, welldaft said:

This. Especially in the tie at Fir Park. A right eye opener how cynical they were against a wee team like Motherwell. Of course it helps that the referee was on hand to make sure they got through to the next round. He was quite a well known Referee iirc. Maybe not then but certainly had a decent career. 

Edit to add - how good was that team and how well did we play in that game. How many chances Created away v B Dortmund v home to St Johnstone on Saturday....changed days....

Anders Frisk it was, Swiss guy. Popped up at a couple of major tournaments after it.

21 hours ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

Happy to be corrected but I have a feeling that the compensation rule up here is u23. I'd imagine that would be why he got a wage bump last year but the expiration date of the contract remained the same ie: we're still protected by compensation rather than him being able to walk away for nothing when it expires.

89617184_ScreenShot2020-09-14at17_43_13.png.98133a535b2d13ab5d511b0f0ebd2e1e.png

1525074881_ScreenShot2020-09-14at17_43_50.png.ca1b190294a680d6c58a18ff6b9265e5.png

In fairness my initial reaction was to cite Turnbull as an example but really they're not exactly comparable. When Turnbull signed his 2nd extension (1st as a 1st team player) he was 19 and had played fewer than 30 games for the club. The 3rd extension was when he was coming back from his knee surgery.

Right now Campbell's 22, in his 5th season as a first team player, has played 127 games and providing he stays injury free (and there's no further shut down) he could be realistically looking at having made 150+ appearances by the time it expires. The deal he signed in 2017 was 4 years.

I mean ultimately it's coming from the same place in so much as you're asking the player and his Mr 20% to do you a turn but it's definitely problematic if it becomes the expectation that every player should follow suit. The club can put something on the table for the player to consider but ultimately it's his career and he should be allowed to make his decision without a guilt trip

The club have done their bit in ensuring they're protected by training compensation at worst (unless he fucks off to USA, USA, USA! like Cadden), he signed a 4 year deal and has been a stand out since. He's more than done his bit whether he extends or not.

Having said that, I've a feeling that this is Campbell's breakthrough season ie: the one where he becomes our profile player in the same way Moult and Turnbull have previously and there's every chance that he can develop his brand beyond simply being perceived as the ten-a-penny "terrier" midfielder you mentioned and pivot to a rebrand as an ML1 John McGinn.

Maybe I'm just more aware of it but there definitely seems to have been a conscious move to shove him to the front and centre recently (which has been helped by his scoring goals and being really, really good) - he's no longer standing in anyone's shadow.

Edited by capt_oats

8 hours ago, Swello said:

I see in this european week - the club did an OTD on Twitter

Ehz43HLWoAQN8I5?format=jpg&name=small

Anyone that's (a) old enough and (b) lucky enough to have been there would probably agree that as trips go it would be hard to beat, not least as the actual football was really good (probably as well as we've played in Europe).

The fact that we'd well over 1000 there and most apparently went by bus seems a bit quaint now - but even though I couldn't imagine doing it these days, it was genuinely exciting doing the ML1 equivalent of Overlanding :)

Watched the game on a German tv channel on sky, with the radio on for commentary. We were magnificent in that game. 

The second leg was pish. Skived off school to make my way through from Glasgow for an early kick off IIRC.