Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

It would appear there's been a bit of gamesmanship from Tait here. On the assumption the club's statement is true, you wonder why he felt the need to make his claims in the media and why the BBC would let him air his claims without a right of reply. I'll admit now I've not heard the interview so they may have said they were unable to get hold of the club.

8 hours ago, Archie McSquackle said:

It would appear there's been a bit of gamesmanship from Tait here. On the assumption the club's statement is true, you wonder why he felt the need to make his claims in the media and why the BBC would let him air his claims without a right of reply. I'll admit now I've not heard the interview so they may have said they were unable to get hold of the club.

To be fair, the footnote of the BBC article did say no one at Motherwell was available for comment.

I think it's a wee bit daft that he's come out and said that, if he had no ill feeling about the club I wonder why he'd have felt the need. When it got announced last week, I think it's one of very few times that I've seen our support fully unite both on a player's contribution to the club and wishing him well for the future and he might just have compromised it with these remarks. Especially when the club's statement says that he wasn't getting a paycut, just not getting a payrise and being bluntly honest, I wouldn't want a player, regardless of who he is, getting a payrise when he only started 12 out of 30 league games in the previous season.

That said, I won't lose any sleep over his comments and certainly will remember him more for his immense contribution on the pitch than a throwaway comment in an interview.

1 hour ago, crazylegsjoe_mfc said:

To be fair, the footnote of the BBC article did say no one at Motherwell was available for comment.

I think it's a wee bit daft that he's come out and said that, if he had no ill feeling about the club I wonder why he'd have felt the need. When it got announced last week, I think it's one of very few times that I've seen our support fully unite both on a player's contribution to the club and wishing him well for the future and he might just have compromised it with these remarks. Especially when the club's statement says that he wasn't getting a paycut, just not getting a payrise and being bluntly honest, I wouldn't want a player, regardless of who he is, getting a payrise when he only started 12 out of 30 league games in the previous season.

That said, I won't lose any sleep over his comments and certainly will remember him more for his immense contribution on the pitch than a throwaway comment in an interview.

Pretty much.

I'm happy enough with both sides positions tbh. Tait's every right to be annoyed since the crux is he negotiated with the club to arrive at a deal both parties were happy with then the club came back and said 'actually, can we change that?'. Tait's 30 and presumably hasn't made a fortune from the game so I can understand why he'd not be happy with that and tell us to do one.

From the POV of the club it was to be expected and I'm genuinely not sure why anyone would be surprised at this. You've got clubs cutting costs left right and centre; wage cuts, wage deferrals all over the shop - it's quite weird to see some on Motherwell Twitter clutching their pearls and getting pissy. It's a bit embarrassing for the club that Tait's made it public but it's the result of a global pandemic rather than us acting in bad faith.

The clarification the club have put out is absolutely fine and should draw a line under it.

Robinson was clear that we'd have to review things once we'd confirmed the budget and you'd have to be naive as f**k to think our budget hasn't taken a dunt.

Hartley had a deal on the table then he didn't, O'Hara's confirmed that the club have had to say to him that while they're still interested a deal isn't do-able at the moment. It's entirely consistent with the landscape in Scottish fitba' at the moment.

It's definitely not worth a public back and forth or any real ill will.

As an aside I was listening to the bold Tony Watt on the What The Falk podcast the other day and he was saying that his contract negotiation with the club basically amounted to him saying to the manager to put the number the club can afford on the contract and he'd sign it. Good lad.

Edited by capt_oats

I was never a huge Tait lover but he was a good servant to the club and always gave his all. A fairly steady performer for the most part and bought into what the club was about.

Overall, I find this whole thing a bit regrettable.

My first feeling is more of surprise that we actually offered him a new deal. I think it was clear to see it was a good time for him to move on and honestly I don't think we should have offered him anything in the first instance.

The fact is though, the club offered him a deal and then tried to change it. Regardless of the economic situation I think he has a right to be pissed off about that. If someone did that to me at work I would be pissed off so I can see his side on this. Tait said he signed the deal and sent it off, so from his standpoint he probably thought it was done and dusted. The club then phoned him to say 'we actually need to change that'. I can totally get why anyone is going to be pissed off about that.

I get the club wanting to clarify things but I'm not really sure a statement was absolutely necessary. I'm not really convinced the whole thing is a very good look for anyone.

As usual, some of our support seem to blindly take the clubs side in every single scenario. All the best to Tait, i sincerely hope folk don't start booing him next season or I will take a total red neck for folk

1 hour ago, Luke92 said:

I was never a huge Tait lover but he was a good servant to the club and always gave his all. A fairly steady performer for the most part and bought into what the club was about.

Overall, I find this whole thing a bit regrettable.

My first feeling is more of surprise that we actually offered him a new deal. I think it was clear to see it was a good time for him to move on and honestly I don't think we should have offered him anything in the first instance.

The fact is though, the club offered him a deal and then tried to change it. Regardless of the economic situation I think he has a right to be pissed off about that. If someone did that to me at work I would be pissed off so I can see his side on this. Tait said he signed the deal and sent it off, so from his standpoint he probably thought it was done and dusted. The club then phoned him to say 'we actually need to change that'. I can totally get why anyone is going to be pissed off about that.

I get the club wanting to clarify things but I'm not really sure a statement was absolutely necessary. I'm not really convinced the whole thing is a very good look for anyone.

As usual, some of our support seem to blindly take the clubs side in every single scenario. All the best to Tait, i sincerely hope folk don't start booing him next season or I will take a total red neck for folk

Think the club offered him a deal and he knocked it back

He then decided that he wanted to accept it and the club said circumstances have changed we’ll have to start negotiations again 

That’s my take on it and in the current state of affairs don’t see that the club have done anything out of the ordinary 

51 minutes ago, Luke92 said:

Reading the club statement, Tait had (according to the club) rejected the original contract and I think that is the key point. If we believe the club that he did that, it doesn't really matter if he had second thoughts and signed the original off his own back - there is no presumption that the offer is still valid once it's been rejected and the club would arguably have the right to take it off the table at that point.

IMO, it looks like Tait regretted patching the original offer (probably as a result of the carnage going on in Football at that moment) and decided to resurrect the original offer unilaterally. The club meanwhile saw the initial rejection as an opportunity to offer a reduced amount (as their bargaining position had become a lot stronger and their need to do so became greater) and did so.

Pity it ended up this way...

18 minutes ago, Swello said:

Reading the club statement, Tait had (according to the club) rejected the original contract and I think that is the key point. If we believe the club that he did that, it doesn't really matter if he had second thoughts and signed the original off his own back - there is no presumption that the offer is still valid once it's been rejected and the club would arguably have the right to take it off the table at that point.

IMO, it looks like Tait regretted patching the original offer (probably as a result of the carnage going on in Football at that moment) and decided to resurrect the original offer unilaterally. The club meanwhile saw the initial rejection as an opportunity to offer a reduced amount (as their bargaining position had become a lot stronger and their need to do so became greater) and did so.

Pity it ended up this way...

I should probably learn to read things properly rather than just skimming.

I hadn't realised it was the previously rejected offer he's supposed to have signed. I'd taken it that they'd negotiated after the initial rejection - that doesn't seem to have been the case. I mean, there's an argument along the lines of 'an offer remains on the table' until the club withdraw but given the circumstances around this whole shitshow I don't really see that the club have done anything improper.

Either way, there were a few interviews with Burrows and Robinson around the period of uncertainty where they were explicit in saying that the 'rona had meant that all contract discussions were on pause so it's not like this was some covert operation.

Edited by capt_oats

13 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

I should probably learn to read things properly rather than just skimming.

I hadn't realised it was the previously rejected offer he's supposed to have signed. I'd taken it that they'd negotiated after the initial rejection - that doesn't seem to have been the case. I mean, there's an argument along the lines of 'an offer remains on the table' until the club withdraw but given the circumstances around this whole shitshow I don't really see that the club have done anything improper.

Either way, there were a few interviews with Burrows and Robinson around the period of uncertainty where they were explicit in saying that the 'rona had meant that all contract discussions were on pause so it's not like this was some covert operation.

Yes that’s the key for me, he turned down the offer and only changed his mind and signed it when Covid 19 hit and he realised it was going to get tough, that’s not the way he put it in his interview.

Looks to me like Tait has accused the club of trying to shaft him when it seems to have been the other way about. He's rejected the initial offer then shat it and changed his mind when Covid hit, probably knowing fine well that the club's financial position would have changed.

Tait - "Think I can get a bit more money, I'll reject this for now..."

(2020 happens)

Tait - "Shit I don't have a job from June. I'll accept this two month old contract I told the club to ram"

4 minutes ago, cilitbang said:

You should pray to whichever sky-genie that you don’t have to use Fox, he was brutal. 

Wasn’t everyone, more or less?

For what it’s worth, outside the one dodgy season in which he had a kid and clearly wasn’t fully focused, Fox was generally excellent for County.

edit: looks like he’s lost a tonne of weight, not that he was out of shape.

Edited by Savage Henry

5 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Wasn’t everyone, more or less?

Yes, however we have a young keeper which a large portion of our support rate higher than Fox (me included). 
He was just going through the motions with us last season. 

25 minutes ago, cilitbang said:

Yes, however we have a young keeper which a large portion of our support rate higher than Fox (me included). 
He was just going through the motions with us last season. 

Fox is a very decent back up keeper, he’s been fine in the past. Yes he was poor last season but look at some of those in front of him. Thistle were pretty brutal in general having seen a few of their games.