Motherwell FC - A Thread For All Seasons

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

So...assuming the Scott Burns report about Hussain having signed a two year extension is correct this is where we are at the moment in terms of players under contract.

1891532350_ScreenShot2020-06-12at19_55_22.png.febbbec316496049bef05c99efa45156.png

Offers of extended deals (TBC):

• Charles Dunne
  • Christopher Long
  • Barry Maguire
  • Peter Morrison
  • Harry Robinson

Contract Expiries:

2021: Carroll, Mugabi, Gallagher, Campbell, Polworth, Hylton, Seedorf, Devine, Semple, Cornelius, MacIver, Watt
2022: Carson, Grimshaw, Lamie, Turnbull, White, Donnelly, Hussain (?)

Still need to add another wide player and right back for me.

Edited by Yorky

1 minute ago, Yorky said:

Still need to add another wide player for me.

I’d agree. In an ideal world, probably 2 but at least 1 as I don’t imagine Seedorf should be an automatic first pick after last season. I think we also need another striker (unless Long extends his deal.) 

6 minutes ago, welldaft said:

As much as I love Turnbull it actually hurts me to see Polworth out of your side.

I also think Polworth would start ahead of Turnbull at least for a few weeks. 

I suspect one or more may be sold but we have a hell of a midfield for the start of next season. 

FWIW: it's more based on the positions they play rather than any definite preference. I agree Polworth's done more than enough to consider himself a starter.

@boozyBJ's point about Lamie playing left back is fair, it's probably where he'll start next season given Carroll's out with a long term injury but the wee bit of blurb has him as a centre back and a left back.

9 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Still need to add another wide player and right back for me.

I could be miles out but given the noises about budget I could see Gallagher as our RB cover (if needed). Same as Lamie's able to play both positions on the left Gallagher played RB a fair amount for Livi I think. I could see us going for another left sided centre back if Charlie Dunne kbs our offer.

Agree on the wide player point although I'd imagine it would be a 'can play across the front 3' type deal in the same vein as Cole or Scott.

8 minutes ago, CSmith said:

I’d agree. In an ideal world, probably 2 but at least 1 as I don’t imagine Seedorf should be an automatic first pick after last season. I think we also need another striker (unless Long extends his deal.) 

I'd been wondering about this actually.

It seems incredibly dull, boring logic but given it's widely accepted that the Lamie and White deals were done fucking ages ago pre-shutdown - if we've offered out those 5 extensions I take it that's pretty much what's needed to complete the squad and what we've got budget for ATM eg: if Long pies us we'll be looking for a replacement for him and same with Dunne etc.

By my count we've got 19 bodies contracted at the moment (including folk like Cornelius, Semple, Devine etc) another 5 would take us up to 24 which sounds about right - you'd have 17 "first team" and 7 "younger boys" (Semple, Cornelius, MacIver, Devine, Hussain, Morrison, Robinson) making up the rest.

Robinson's PLZ interview suggested 15-16 "first team", so close enough.

25 minutes ago, CSmith said:

I’m just not a Seedorf fan, he’s not up to the task for me ( and I’m pretty acceptable of most in general). Hylton is also very much a confidence player going from looking fantastic to absolutely anonymous.  The wide players just worry me in truth.

30 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Agree on the wide player point although I'd imagine it would be a 'can play across the front 3' type deal in the same vein as Cole or Scott.

Come home Jamie Murphy, we’ve missed you. 

3 hours ago, Swami said:

Are we allowed to consider Livi and Caley Thistle as our feeder clubs yet? 

I think there is probably something to be said for bringing in at least some players for whom signing for us is a good move and a step up to balance the guys who have (grudgingly) ended up at us as last chance saloon in a once promising youth career down south...

These days, we're probably a legitimately good place for decent upper Championship and lower Premiership players to end up and that's a market we neglected a bit until recently - so signing Lamie and White is all good as far as I'm concerned... 

1 hour ago, Archie McSquackle said:

I'm not sure we see Lamie as an automatic starter and think we'll be looking for someone else to partner Gallagher. How long is Carroll expected to be out for? It wouldn't surprise me if Lamie covers for Carroll and then becomes a squad player.

I think Lamie will be a starter, had a really good season at Livi, so slots straight in for Hartley. Of course Dunne will be breathing down his neck and we can see Mugabi back to his best as seen against St Mirren away and hearts at home.

I reckon that’s us done with defensive signings. The only position I could maybe see us going for is a right back but I reckon we’ve got enough versatility in the squad to cope with most situations. Sorry it’s not as fancy as Capt Oats wee graphics.

Assuming those offered contract extensions sign up then we have:

LB - Carroll/Lamie/Dunne

CB - Gallagher/Lamie/Dunne/Mugabi/Donnelly/Hussain/Devine/Maguire

RB - Grimshaw/Gallagher/Donnelly(?)

We need to use whatever budget we have to get at least one winger, and another striker if Long doesn’t sign up.

12 hours ago, 18May1991 said:

Come home Jamie Murphy, we’ve missed you. 

As he is still under contract at Rangers (I believe) I think it is a non starter. That and his wages would have to come down considerably. Murphy would have to be ahead of Hastie in terms of a start at Rangers. 

If Long stayed and we could sign up OHara and Murphy joined or Ariyibi came back I would be rather excited....

1 hour ago, dezz said:

I reckon that’s us done with defensive signings. The only position I could maybe see us going for is a right back but I reckon we’ve got enough versatility in the squad to cope with most situations. Sorry it’s not as fancy as Capt Oats wee graphics.

LB - Carroll/Lamie/Dunne

We need to use whatever budget we have to get at least one winger, and another striker if Long doesn’t sign up.

Aye. I think it hinges on who from the 5 that have been offered deals sign up and whether there's any intention of the short term contract on the table to Dunne being more than us just making sure we do the right thing.

It's a weak take but White taking Dunne's squad number suggests that big Charlie Taxi is away. Clearly he could just take another number but he's had the same shirt in the 3 seasons he's been at the club.

Reading the interview Hartley did after his exit was announced it was interesting to see him say that prior to the shut down he and Robinson had been talking about an extension and it was only after everything went tits up that it was no longer viable. Going by the rough timeline that conversation would have been happening at the same time as the Lamie pre-contract.

“I was initially offered a contract but the longer this went on the more difficult a situation the club was in. It was one of those things where there was no longer a deal on the table for me."

Link

That plus the short term offer to Dunne suggests there may be another CB squad place going depending on how things play out.

Edited by capt_oats

10 minutes ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

Small in the grand scheme of things but I wonder how the Fox transfer will work if reconstruction passes and his relegation clause is nulled.

Could we get compensation from Hearts?

On 11/06/2020 at 22:35, Reid said:

Scott Burns now saying Fox has knocked back Killie and will sign for you. Unlucky.

Scott Fox is an excellent keeper. He has his weaknesses, but every keeper at this level will do.  He'd be a terrific back up keeper if that's how Motherwell plan to use him.  Good bloke as well.

On 12/06/2020 at 09:55, Ron Aldo said:

No professional goalkeeper at any level can be worse than Craig Samson. If we did sign Fox as backup I'd be relatively pleased with that.

Indeed.   You can't really call yourself a true Scottish football fan unless you've seen either Craig Samson or Colin Stewart throw one in for your team.  

12 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Scott Fox is an excellent keeper. He has his weaknesses, but every keeper at this level will do.  He'd be a terrific back up keeper if that's how Motherwell plan to use him.  Good bloke as well.

I really can’t see how anyone would think Fox as a number two would be anything other than a good deal. Yes he had a poor season at Thistle but that’s down to the team as a whole, they were terrible at times defensively. When you already have a keeper of the quality of Carson you are not looking to bring in another high earner just to sit on the bench. Christ going from a number one in Samson to Fox as a back up is a huge step up.

Edited by Yorky

7 minutes ago, Yorky said:

I really can’t see how anyone would think Fox as a number two would be anything other than a good deal. Yes he had a poor season at Thistle but that’s down to the team as a whole, they were terrible at times defensively. When you already have a keeper of the quality of Carson you are not looking to bring in another high earner just to sit on the bench.

Right.  Especially in the given circumstances, when squads will be decimated across the country, presumably.  Scott Fox could be a number one for four or five teams in the bottom six.  To have him as a back up is a no brainer.

On 13/06/2020 at 04:20, dezz said:

LB - Carroll/Lamie/Dunne

Theres a lot of opposition fans who are fans of Long. I can't recall seeing him play against Aberdeen but curious if he's a good as others are making out. Also is he currently out of contract?